GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/06, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ May 3, 2006, 10:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yes, its like a thread i was agrueing in over on mustang exhaust forums about mustangs vs late model camaros...... some guy was said:

"Indeed, and a cammed LS1 = sick no matter how you cut it"

so i responded with:

"thats very true, but my car cammed is sick as heck no matter how you cut it, and it looks better too, AND the chicks dig it."

so he came back with:

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"

and then I said:

"thats sooooo true. fat chicks have to get laid too, i guess."

anyway, it was a pretty funny thread. http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/smoki...rk-side-15.html
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
Old 5/19/06, 01:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, been busy!

Bump!
Old 5/19/06, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

i called doug a couple days ago, left him a message, I will call him again this afternoon.... 2pm pacific time seems to be a good time to catch him. If he got his car back on time, this should have been the week they were installed....... I got my fingers crossed.
Old 5/19/06, 02:59 PM
V6 Member

We need cam info now! Need to know which set is good for the street, gains, and some how to's. Somebody posted a while ago about the cam change. They said that it was not that easy or you needed a special tool. I've changed cams in small block chevys and Harleys, there is no big deal about doin those. I gather these VCT gadgets complicate things somewhat?
Old 5/19/06, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by drmustang
We need cam info now! Need to know which set is good for the street, gains, and some how to's. Somebody posted a while ago about the cam change. They said that it was not that easy or you needed a special tool. I've changed cams in small block chevys and Harleys, there is no big deal about doin those. I gather these VCT gadgets complicate things somewhat?
Yeah, they are substantially different than the old 327/350 Chevy or 302/351 Ford engines. These are SOHC engines (1 cam per bank). I am not experienced enough to try it on my own. I'll have to take it to a mech.
Old 5/19/06, 04:14 PM
V6 Member

Initially I thought that it would be an easy swap being that the cam is right underneath its respective cover but there is all that VCT stuff and the cog that spins off the chain. No clue here about how to line up or insure the phasing etc.
Old 5/19/06, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

i talked to doug... his car is still at the body shop..... he does have the cams ready to ship, but I am waiting becuase I want to use his tune, and I want to make sure they sound good on his car.

the install shouldnt be that bad, the VVT is a piece of cake if you know how to take things apart and put them back EXACTLY. the only thing is if you dont pull the heads, you need to do something like compressed air in each cylinder to keep the valves from falling in, or put each one at top dead center so if the valve drops, it will hit the top of the piston.

as for the special tools, its just the fuel rail one which is also used on some other fords, and the spring compressor.... which I will try to use my 4v one and make it work, becuase im not shelling out hundreds for the new tools. I will do a full writeup when the time comes.
Old 5/19/06, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dammitt EJ, Just DO IT!...lol
I'm so wishy washy, I had all but settled on building my own Steeda Q...until I read the July MM&FF with the FRPP Whipple (which was my original engine mod choice). I'd love to have both, but A) I can't afford both and B) I REALLY can't afford a new shortblock.
I may just go with the Whipple and then once I replenish my savings I'll do a new longblock with ported heads and upgraded cams. That ought to **** a Shelby buyer or two off.
I love the lumpy cam idle, but I think I'll wait until they have been around the block a time or two to invest. Go do that guinea pig thing for us!
Old 5/23/06, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

10% gains

from compcams website: http://www.compcams.com/information/...yID=-868520467

COMP Cams® Ford 4.6 & 5.4-Liter 3 Valve Modular CamshaftsDeliver 30 To 40 Additional Horsepower
New camshafts compatible with Ford variable cam timing system used on Ford 4.6 & 5.4-Liter 3 Valve engines

Looking to improve the performance of your ‘05-‘06 Ford 4.6 & 5.4-liter 3 valve modular engine? COMP Cams® announces the release of a new line of high performance camshafts, which utilize the latest in COMP Xtreme Energy™ technology and are specifically engineered for the unique needs of this popular new engine platform. Designed to work with the Ford’s factory variable cam timing (VCT) system and popular aftermarket performance upgrades, these camshafts are direct replacement components that deliver approximately 10% more horsepower and torque (COMP Part #26113 Beehive™ Valve Springs & computer tuning are recommended).

The performance secret behind the COMP Cams® Ford 4.6 & 5.4-Liter 3 Valve Modular Camshafts is the application of the COMP Cams® Xtreme Energy™ technology. By focusing on what they wanted the valve to do at specific rpm rather than simply the camshaft profile, COMP Cams® engineers were able to increase the amount of time the valves were open and generate improved area under the curve, netting huge power and torque increases.

In addition, by advancing the camshaft timing at low rpm but maintaining similar intake valve closing points, improved throttle responsiveness was gained. Working with the VCT, which is programmed to retard the engine timing at peak power, COMP Cams® new Ford 3 valve cams optimize both low and high rpm performance. As noted by the COMP Cams® engineering staff, these camshafts provide the biggest power and torque improvements, from idle to redline, of any sub-300cid engine they have tested. For more information about the COMP Cams® Ford 4.6 & 5.4-Liter 3 Valve Modular Camshafts or any other COMP Cams® product, call us at 1-800-999-0853, or visit us online at www.compcams.com.

see also PDF http://www.compcams.com/information/...eCamshafts.pdf
lower gears required for 3 out of 4 grinds...
Old 5/23/06, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

cool finally
Old 5/23/06, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

thats old news... Doug has had that info since late march. still waiting on tuning for the VVT.
Old 5/23/06, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
thats old news... Doug has had that info since late march. still waiting on tuning for the VVT.
d'oh! I can't find the hp gains posted on bamachips. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Interesting that they recommend lower gears for 3 of the 4 cams. Low end torque must take a pretty hard hit.
Old 5/23/06, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok, sorry, ALMOST all the info was posted before.

after seeing this tho, and talking with other people... I am inclined to wait... the lift isnt very high on these. even the 350s seem pretty mild. Notice they dont say blower only. BBR has much more aggressive cams out, I want to wait and see what Crower has in the lift department.....

but then if doug gets his in and dynoed soon, that may also sway me.
Old 5/23/06, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after seeing this tho, and talking with other people... I am inclined to wait...
hehehe... isn't that what I said a few weeks ago, and you gave me chit for it?
Old 5/23/06, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok, sorry, ALMOST all the info was posted before.

after seeing this tho, and talking with other people... I am inclined to wait... the lift isnt very high on these. even the 350s seem pretty mild. Notice they dont say blower only. BBR has much more aggressive cams out, I want to wait and see what Crower has in the lift department.....

but then if doug gets his in and dynoed soon, that may also sway me.
$ is forcing me to wait at least a few months. I'd like to learn the gains from the 2nd mildest cam. I'd like some addtional sotp, but not interested in rough idle for my daily driver. Add long-tubes and 4.10's and I think it would be a good combination until I win a lottery to rebuild the bottom and blow air into the cylinders.
Old 5/24/06, 09:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Gotta have this one. stuff a S/C, that is the sound of the old BOSS 429. It means its bad!

Doug,

Let us know how much HP gain you are talking. Also If I take the car to you will you do all the work? or do I have to get the goods and go to my shop?

OMG the video is total wood
Old 5/24/06, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I posted more videos at modularfords.com and im too lazy to repost.
Old 5/24/06, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...e-52347-3.html

post #39
Old 5/24/06, 07:07 PM
Cobra R Member

sounds really good. It is just the cam and no head work?
Old 5/24/06, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

he had the heads custom ported too... not from BBR tho.

and don... yeah, but im still gonna get em before you. hehe!

Quick Reply: New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....