GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/06, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, where to start....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>non of the grinds have valve clearence issues?[/b][/quote]

Not to my knowledge, this was one of the main hurdles Comp Cams wanted to overcome.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>any plans of offering a 'super' package containing a CAI, tuner, tune, and cam package? [/b][/quote]

Well, most of the guys who want a cam already have most of the bolt on mods but I should be able to put something together if it is requested.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>could we get more info on the different grinds? and where does your grind come into play?[/b][/quote]

I'm waiting on this information to arrive but with my specific grind I will not publish the numbers, all I can say is mine isn't the largest you can go but I requested a cam that will work with a n/a engine but will also be a good cam for a blower if you were to upgrade in the future. I wanted versatility.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
what do you think intallation charges will be considering the complexity of the VVT?[/b][/quote]

It Requires the use of special timing tools as well as special valve spring compressing tools to install the new springs without removing the heads. I can't say exactly what the cost will be but I estimate around $500-$700. You also have to remove the front timing cover so that would be a great time to install UDP's too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>will it be possible to do cams, then later do PP heads, assuming retune on a dyno after each?[/b][/quote]

Yes, this is exactly what I want to do with my car, first my cam and then some heads from a un-named source, not Blow-By.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Doug, will your $1049 package include tuning for the cams... say if someone already has an XCal and uses you for their tuning? Or will there be an extra tuning fee for that?[/b][/quote]

If you are a previous customer of mine then the tunes are free, if you bought your tuner elsewhere then the camshaft tunes will have to be purchased seperatly. I'm not sure of the cost of the tunes yet because I base that on how much dynotime it will take me to develope them. Should be around $75-$100 if you buy them with the kit and that will be for three tunes. Now if you just want the tunes that's another price.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>the stage 3 cams, or whatever your most aggressive NA ones are..... will a CAI and or high flow mid pipe be REQUIRED?[/b][/quote]

Well this is a good question in that if you want to purchase cams then you should already have a good CAI. Cam's aren't a first purchase in my book. As for exhaust, I'll put it like this, you dont need exhaust but you'll gain more power if you have it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I want the car to have that rumpity, rumpity sound....like a rough idle....old school style.[/b][/quote]

I can't attest for these cams yet because I haven't heard any but on a 2V 4.6 they sound just like that to the point that if you dont have a good tune for them it will die at idle.

I'm waiting on the numbers to be sent to me from my guy at Comp Cams so as soon as I get them I will post...

Thanks,Doug.
Old 3/9/06, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks for the information Doug! I like that your custom grind will work for both N/A and Forced induction. I plan on keeping my car N/A for a while, but that's a route that I would like to take in the future. With the new springs, you can probably safely bump the rev limiter higher too if the car makes power up there. I am eagerly awaiting some dyno numbers and your tune, if both are satisfactory you've got yourself a customer.
Old 3/9/06, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I *really* really miss the idle lope on my old camaro, it's nice having A/C, 5 gears, and all the other nice things on my new Mustang, but darn it if I wish I had a bit of lope to my idle!

I would love to hear some sound clips of a mild-medium cam, I'm sure the aggressive cams will sound very ballsy, but in the interest of a daily driver, I'd like something a bit milder. I don't know anything about the modular engines, but on my old 350 it was quite easy to get a nice lope at idle and not change the gas milage to much (no more more than 2-3mph difference). Would this be possible on these 05-06 GT engines?

Can't wait to hear some sound clips!
Old 3/9/06, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...13742032&q=cams

even those are the blow by cams, I still watch the video everyday.....
Old 3/9/06, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ March 9, 2006, 10:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...13742032&q=cams

even those are the blow by cams, I still watch the video everyday.....
[/b][/quote]

man tyhat sounds pretty sweet so I can only imagine w/the Comp Cams... darn I cant wait!!! just got my Hooker LT headers and x-pipe put on so I guess I found my next mod!! As always Doug has the info and is the man... I can personally say he's a cool guy and has always hooked me up w/some great tunes.... I need to start saving!! Thank god I dont have kids....more money for my "baby"... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

wow, that sure is loud under the hood, sounds like a solid lifter engine. haha!
Old 3/9/06, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

It was.
Old 3/9/06, 11:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I get a woody from that clip...everytime. omg......
Old 3/9/06, 11:36 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ March 9, 2006, 7:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yeah, SurfnSoCal, truth be told, i am about to spend a grand on this and the main reason is not the power gain, but I want that mean glub glub glub idle that agressive cams give you. I am such a loser, I am going to spend $1000 just for that. to me the power gain is just a side effect.
[/b][/quote]

Nice.....
Old 3/10/06, 06:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh Yeah, that is the best sound since I watched the JBA LT header video, sounds very similar actually, loved it except all that clackitry clack under the hood, personally, I hope that sound is not there with the comp cams.
OK, where is Dustin with the killer PDF file for remove and replace cam and springs...come onnnnnnnnn, Dustin!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
I hope the the milage does not have to go down at all, especially since the tunes are supposed to make the milage go up. But I think all the lopiness means the car is not running efficiently at idle because it is not in its powerband yet..overlap, duration, yada yada yada. Will the variable valve timing still be working with the new cam?
Doug , you trully are the man, your tune and CAI was on my list for this spring but my company is in the middle of a labor dispute for the last month...being on strike with NO paycheck is not condusive to mods on a mustang...lol
Old 3/10/06, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ March 9, 2006, 8:24 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Unlike the Crane cams they have all the geometry corrert and wont require tuning to run without hitting the pistons because of the VCT. They will work with VCT as that was one of their main goals to ensure they would. Now, this doesn't mean they wont' require tuning as with the earlier cars I've tuned with cams they will barely idle with them and when they do get tuned they pick up excellent power because of the increased amount of timing made possible from them.

[/b][/quote]
Old 3/10/06, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Doug, how hard of an install would this be for a DIY'er?
Old 3/10/06, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang9325 @ March 10, 2006, 7:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Doug, how hard of an install would this be for a DIY'er?
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ March 9, 2006, 6:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

It Requires the use of special timing tools as well as special valve spring compressing tools to install the new springs without removing the heads. I can't say exactly what the cost will be but I estimate around $500-$700. You also have to remove the front timing cover

[/b][/quote]

sounds like an all-day project. personally, i wouldn't do it myself because messing with the internals of an engine brings too many factors into play
Old 3/10/06, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F*** me running. Daddy likes, oh yes, daddy likes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I too have plans to install a supercharger in another 2 years, so a grind that accomodates that down the road is key. Please keep us informed. I say again, please keep us informed.
Old 3/11/06, 04:10 AM
Bullitt Member

bump.

this all makes me wanna scrap my plans for a blower and shoot for 400rwhp/400rwtq NA. by this summer im thinkin stage 3 cams, LT headers, o/r h-pipe, e-h20, and killer dyno tune should bump me up to nearly 375/375. then maybe p/p heads after that. heck, forged internals and high compression pistons to follow in turn? i don see why 400/400 is much of a reach at all

but first, bring on the cams
Old 3/11/06, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ March 11, 2006, 6:13 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
bump.

this all makes me wanna scrap my plans for a blower and shoot for 400rwhp/400rwtq NA. by this summer im thinkin stage 3 cams, LT headers, o/r h-pipe, e-h20, and killer dyno tune should bump me up to nearly 375/375. then maybe p/p heads after that. heck, forged internals and high compression pistons to follow in turn? i don see why 400/400 is much of a reach at all

[/b][/quote]

This is becoming my plan, too. I'll be happy with 350+ to the wheels, but I think 375 should be achievable. Perfect for open track events.
Old 3/11/06, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

i just want the $%&#ing lopy grumpy idle!

and the install, I dont think it will be much different than on the 2v mustangs.... just might need a special tool or two for the VVT, and a little more brainwork. I am installing it myself, so when I do, I will do a write up.
Old 3/11/06, 01:42 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ March 11, 2006, 6:13 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
bump.

[/b][/quote]

This is exactly what I am thinking. The 400/400 # would be outstanding in a NA setup. Really, really can't wait to see what the new cams do with LTs and an intake.
Old 3/11/06, 09:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope the cams are different for NA and another for SC...I dont think a comprimise is good, because then you have to comprimise performance to fit into both scenarios [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Doug,
Any guesstimate when you will have results? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....