Old 3/21/08, 08:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
... I agree with Bill...yeah that's what I wanted to say. Hi Bill
Hi Scott!
Thanks for agreeing!

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Get some SS brake lines now
I understand the the benefits of SS lines, but is it a worthwhile noticable mod for a street car?

Please convince me.
Old 3/22/08, 08:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Hi Scott!
Thanks for agreeing!

I understand the the benefits of SS lines, but is it a worthwhile noticable mod for a street car?

Please convince me.

Hey Bill,
One benefit is the pedal is definitely much firmer when you step on it. I did it for the decrease stopping distance over stock of about 18 ft. That is a difference of about the length of a Chevy Tahoe. For $140 invested for Earls SS lines, speed bleeders and Valvoline synthetic Dot 4 fluid it is a worth while mod. I just hope I never have to put them to a real test.
Scott
Old 3/22/08, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on the SS lines. Car just feels more responsive. After I put the 20's on I lost confidence in the brakes. I gained some of it back when I did the install. Worth the extra $$$
Old 3/22/08, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the compliments gang. Overall I am so pleased....

I was doing alot of 120mph runs yesterday as I drove her down to VA for the weekend. Car stops much, much quicker at speeds above 100mph. At speeds less than 80mph, the brakes just GRAGBS the car and makes it stop. It's an incredible feeling...

I should have up graded the brakes 1st before going with the S/C. It's very, very dangerous driving at those speeds and can't stop.
Old 3/22/08, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by qwik huh
Baer supplies the kits for Shelby Performance and the rotors are facing the correct direction according to Shelby and Baer. Different companies have different thoughts on the slots. Some face them one way to pull air in and others face them the opposite way to let air out. IMHO there will be no discernable difference in performance or pad life regardless of what direction the slots face.

Bill thanks for the work from you and the gang at CJ's. The brakes and Watts link are awesome. Car stops great and is very stiff and the car takes turns like no bodies business.
Old 3/22/08, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
+1 on the SS lines. Car just feels more responsive. After I put the 20's on I lost confidence in the brakes. I gained some of it back when I did the install. Worth the extra $$$
The front kit came with SS lines. The rear kit uses existing OEM lines.
Old 3/22/08, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ramairgt1
Keep us updated Torrence..I am looking into getting brakes as soon as the snow melts here

Those wheels look great on your car from what I can see
Still waiting for that crusie John.... The upgraded brakes give a new look and way better performance all at the same time. It's a good thing you can't drive your car at the moment, I mean with that much power it's so tempting to go, but you have to be able to stop the car...
Old 3/22/08, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Bill,
One benefit is the pedal is definitely much firmer when you step on it. I did it for the decrease stopping distance over stock of about 18 ft. That is a difference of about the length of a Chevy Tahoe. For $140 invested for Earls SS lines, speed bleeders and Valvoline synthetic Dot 4 fluid it is a worth while mod. I just hope I never have to put them to a real test.
Scott
I'm interested now.

18' is the difference between a very bad day and a good day.
Old 3/22/08, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SS lines are well worth it. I plan on doing some track time on a 2 1/2 mile road course this year, so brake upgrades were much needed. I went with Motul 600 brake fluid, expensive, but I don't have to worry about boiling brake fluid now.
Old 3/23/08, 04:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved the SS lines on my 05 GT. It is only street driven, so it was probably "technically" overkill, but I have ALWAYS like very firm brake pedals and the SS lines to deliver in that regard. Plus, you won't find any rubber hydraulic lines on a fighter jet!
Old 4/21/08, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

those rotors look awesome, how many piston are those brake calipers?
Old 4/21/08, 05:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
those rotors look awesome, how many piston are those brake calipers?
2 piston... These brakes are awesome.....
Old 4/22/08, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Torrence
Isn't that very similar to stock with new brake pads with upgraded 14" rotors? What makes these brakes better than stock?
Old 4/22/08, 12:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Torrence
Just got my Baer GT-plus front and Baer rear upgrade with Hawk pads done. Now need to put the car back on the road for the summer and burnish those rotors and seat the pads.Looking forward to trying these out from what I have heard they are a big improvement over stock. And they also look awesome.
Attached Thumbnails Need some more BRAKING Power so.......-baerfront.jpg   Need some more BRAKING Power so.......-baerrear.jpg  
Old 4/22/08, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
Isn't that very similar to stock with new brake pads with upgraded 14" rotors? What makes these brakes better than stock?
The Baer front calipers are PBR calipers. These are the same calipers used on the C5 and C6 Corvette. They are larger than the stock calipers with a pad area comparable to most 4 piston front kits.
Old 4/22/08, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Lookin good Gleamin.....

I couldn't even image needing 4 or 6 piston calipers with these, but hey you never know. I guess depending on HP I would see why one would go there. But this GT-Plus system slows me down at 120mph-140mph in no time.
Old 4/23/08, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gleamin05
The Baer front calipers are PBR calipers. These are the same calipers used on the C5 and C6 Corvette. They are larger than the stock calipers with a pad area comparable to most 4 piston front kits.

Sorry, what does PBR stand for?
Old 4/23/08, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I'm interested now.

18' is the difference between a very bad day and a good day.
I would take that 18' with a *very* large grain of salt. I'm all for stainless lines--I have the Earls--but they are more a safety upgrade than a noticable performance braking upgrade.

I'm about as **** about my pedal feel as anyone and I flush my brakes before every track weekend, and bleed after every track day during those weekends. I didn't notice a difference when I put the stainless lines on. I wish I did, but our stock lines just don't expand that much (especially being only a few years old at most).

I think the reason why it seems like a noticable difference is because you have to do a good solid bleed after installing the lines. On a lot of these cars, this is the first time the brakes have been bled since purchase. The firmer pedal felt, which I'm sure is very noticable, is largely due to the bleed and fresh fluid.

But, again, they are a great upgrade as far as safety goes. And you should do it just so people have a great walk-through for brake line installation.
Old 4/24/08, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
The firmer pedal felt, which I'm sure is very noticable, is largely due to the bleed and fresh fluid.
You might very well be right on this. While I like having a very nice, very firm brake pedal, i HATE working on the brakes. It's always a dirty, nasty job and I HATE the way brake fluid feels (and smells). But I do have to admit, bleeding the brakes is a WHOLE lot more pleasant for me since I picked up the pressure bleeder!