GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need help with rear shock removal

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/08, 09:52 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with rear shock removal

Help - I can't get the top nut off of the rear shock! I'm in the middle of replacing the shocks and springs with some Steeda stuff, and I can't get the rear shocks off. I've clamp'ed on the very top of the shock and backed off the tighting nut almost all of the way. But the very last fraction of inch is not going. I've run out of room at the top to hold on to.

Any tips or suggestions?
Old 8/31/08, 10:36 AM
V6 Member

Ahh.. success. I managed to get one bent sideways (not on purpose) which froze the spline and I was able to undo that nut. For the other, I got my vise grips between the lower grommet and the shock itself (in the wheel well). That was sufficient to hold on the spline and I got the second one off. I was really getting concerned that I wasn't going to get them off and that I would need a shop to do it.
Old 9/1/08, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

sounds like you struggled through, on the next ones you might change there is typically a hex top to the shock that you can put a wrench on to hold the shaft, lessons learned.
Old 9/2/08, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the reply. That wasn't the problem. I couldn't keep a grip on the inner top at the very last unscrewing the nut. There wasn't enough room to keep a grip and backoff the nut. Don't know why.