GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

My research on super/turbo chargers

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/04, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM&FF has a nice write-up on the 05 in their current (November) issue.

They also had an article which compared different turbo and superchargers. I had already done a decent amount of research, but the article told me basically everything I needed to know. They were using the 4V 4.6L Cobra engine, but the results will also apply to the 3V in the 05 GT, except that we won't be able to run our boost as high as they did without putting in forged pistons/rods.

I just thought I would post some information here for those that are trying to decide what system to get.

Here's the lowdown:

Turbos and centrifugal superchargers (like the Procharger or Vortech) will give you the most peak power, but at the expense of low-down torque. Centrifugal superchargers produce boost directly relative to engine speed, so the power curve is pretty linear and starts out pretty low. Turbos need the engine speed up as well, since they are powered by exhaust flow through the pipes (hence turbo lag).

Roots-type superchargers like the Eaton which comes stock on the current model Cobras provides great low-down torque, and they provide great power across the entire RPM range, but they don't peak as high as the centrifugals or turbos.

Twin-screw types like the Kenne Bell provide much the same characteristics as the roots-type Eatons, but they do it much more efficiently, and also maintain a lower air temperature, which means you can boost more.

Turbos are the king of peak power, but IMO, Kenne Bell's are the king of the street (with all that low-down torque), and that is what I'm planning on getting.
Old 11/3/04, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I read the same thing but I think turbos are still the best becuase you can run more bood b/c of the intercooler (I know that you can run one with centrifugal superchargers also) and that they make power under load. So in the low rpms you should get close to stock gas milage. Plus since they make power under a load it is you get to have alot of fun with hills and other things that create load.
Old 11/3/04, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good write up, and I'll say that in all the "research" or slacking off at work that I've done... still haven't decided which is more appropriate for that one, I'd have to agree with you Shea.
Old 11/3/04, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So exactly how bad is gas mileage hurt by adding turbos/etc?
Old 11/4/04, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@November 3, 2004, 2:46 PM
I read the same thing but I think turbos are still the best becuase you can run more bood b/c of the intercooler (I know that you can run one with centrifugal superchargers also) and that they make power under load. So in the low rpms you should get close to stock gas milage. Plus since they make power under a load it is you get to have alot of fun with hills and other things that create load.
You can have an intercooler with any type of supercharger or turbo, so it isn't necessarily true that you can run more boost with a turbo.

Also, you are correct about the turbos making more power under load, however, with a twin-screw S/C you will not lose much gas-mileage unless you get into gas pedal, because it only applies boost when you get into the pedal. How much gas mileage you lose I have no idea.

Remember that you must also use premium fuel when running a forced induction engine, so that is another cost consideration.

I think turbos are pretty cool, but the only turbo I've ever driven was a 4 cyl. Fox-body. The lag really bugged me, but then again, I'm a lover of straight-up torque.
Old 11/5/04, 04:25 PM
V6 Member

Ive always been a big fan of the Kenne Bell twin screw. However, there is one thing to consider. The rear gear ratios. With the auto and V6s you get the 3:27 (I think, but not sure, feel free to correct me on that) and the low torque should be fine with that. However, Im planning on getting the 5 spd manual V8 that comes stock with 3:55s. I think that excessive wheelspin will detract from the drivability of that combination, in which case I'll probably be happier with something more on the top end.
Old 11/5/04, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's all just a matter of knowing how to launch. Ease into it and that supercharger provides the go after the launch. No one ever said you had to floor and go.
Old 11/5/04, 09:22 PM
GTR Member

Shea- What was your favorite of all the stang u owned? Do u have any times??(qaurter mile)
Old 11/7/04, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by TGIFord@November 5, 2004, 5:28 PM

However, there is one thing to consider. The rear gear ratios. With the auto and V6s you get the 3:27 (I think, but not sure, feel free to correct me on that)
ATX is 3.31

I think that excessive wheelspin will detract from the drivability of that combination, in which case I'll probably be happier with something more on the top end.
Don't forget the GT's come with 17" wheels, which affects the effective final drive ratio and makes those gears a bit taller.
Old 11/8/04, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@November 5, 2004, 10:25 PM
Shea- What was your favorite of all the stang u owned? Do u have any times??(qaurter mile)
My favorite was one of the 86 GTs that I owned. You can check out pics and information here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/ponypower77

It had a decent amount of mods and did the quarter in the high 13s, like the new 05 Stang. I never got any official track times with it though.
Old 11/8/04, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Turbo lag is a thing of the past. Turbo charging is the most effective mod.
Old 11/9/04, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Shea+November 8, 2004, 9:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shea @ November 8, 2004, 9:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200@November 5, 2004, 10:25 PM
My favorite was one of the 86 GTs that I owned. You can check out pics and information here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/ponypower77

It had a decent amount of mods and did the quarter in the high 13s, like the new 05 Stang. I never got any official track times with it though. [/b][/quote]
Wow! You certainly are attracting some creepy little trolls on your guestbook.
Old 11/11/04, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by M-squared@November 8, 2004, 1:51 PM
Turbo lag is a thing of the past. Turbo charging is the most effective mod.
No offense, but you should pick up that issue of MM&FF and check out the dyno charts.

The turbo clearly doesn't have the power of the supercharger until you get into high RPMs. Of course, you are welcome to back up your statement, but I think you are wrong.

Also, "effective" is a relative term. It is more effective in the sense that there is no parasitic loss, but it also costs a whole lot more and is harder to install.

For me, "effective" first and foremost means that I can actually afford to buy it, otherwise it is useless. I'm sure that for some people, the turbo will be the way to go though.
Old 11/11/04, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

i doubt having 3.55's with a supercharger will be a problem since most people with pre-05's have 3.73's-4.30's and have no problems controlling their cars from spinning!!!
Old 11/12/04, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

O.K. to attempt to stop all the bickering I will attempt to explan myslef and others. There is no "best" forced induction for everyone. We all have diffrent wants and likes. I am personally a high RPM power lover. I love high red lines and the ability to easily change my boost settings. So I am a turbo guy. But some of you crave torque and that neck snapping throtle rsponce. So you will go with a roots type blower (probably). So in conclustion diffrent force induction types are better for diffrent people.