GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/07, 10:07 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Are these in stock? My stock shifter(with Saleen Adapter) is rattling and I am getting annoyed with it

Thanks,

Jason

we start shipping on monday!!!

george
Old 5/4/07, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Went to the track last night. It was my first time with the shifter. Flawless, never missed a shift.
Old 5/4/07, 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm installing mine tomorrow. Can't wait!
Old 5/4/07, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Does anyone have a problem shifting from 3 to 2 due to the spring centering over the 3 to 4 shift point? Maybe I just have to get used to it.
Old 5/6/07, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a chance to drive my 'Stang some more this weekend. I made a few adjustments to my shifter. I moved the handle block 180 degrees so it is in front instead of behind the shifter base. I also dropped the 3/8-16 handle down as far as it would go on the insulated sleeve. I like this setup much better. The shifter is a lot closer to the front of the car, but it seems much easier to move through the gears. I am a tall guy -- 6'4", so I am speculating the handle was just too far back for me with the handle block toward the back of the car.

Also, I found a slightly bigger white Hurst type shift **** by Lokar for the 3/8 - 16 handle. The Hurst **** just felt very small and it is smaller in diameter than the stock ****. The Hurst **** is 1 3/4" and my new **** is 2". Not much, but you can tell the difference. Also, the two ***** are identical, except for the stop nut. The shifter patterns on the ***** are even the same font. As for the stop nut, I didn't use it, so it didn't matter. I did have a problem threading the new **** on, but I think that was my fault (cross-thread!). I ended up running a 3/8-16 tap through the **** and it was fine then. I bought it from Summit and the part number is SK-6874.
Old 5/7/07, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

After adjusting my MGW 6 times in a 1 week period, I finally hit my sweet spot. 8 turns, the shaft sticking out of the bottom an inch and the shifter bracket slightly offset to the drivers side. PERFECT NOW, and seems to be getting smoother. off setting the shifter bracket to the passenger's side seems to be a little more comfortable going into second gear.

Old 5/7/07, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Twelve pages of posts and not a single negative comment. That speaks highly of this shifter.
Old 5/7/07, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 281GT
Twelve pages of posts and not a single negative comment. That speaks highly of this shifter.
It's in a class by itself!
Old 5/7/07, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

To say the least.
Old 5/7/07, 08:33 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 281GT

we have had a few problems but that is the great thing about this forum. i wanted to get great feedback and in turn provided a price break on the first run.

let me tell you it was definitely worth it. if i had rushed to market and made hundreds or thousands of these shifters i would have some major headaches.

thanks to customer feedback we have pin ponited the design flaws and areas that need improvement all of which are in the works or already solved.

1. the handle nuts were sticking out too far and rubbing the boot. i shortened tham and recessed them into the block more.

2. the bushings were too tight of a fit. new ones being made to replace give a little more play but still precise.

3. springs were just a bit too strong so new progressive springs are now used . still positive return to center without as much effort.

its getting close now thanks again guys!!!

george
Old 5/8/07, 05:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
George , #1 sounds like a good idea shortening the nuts and recessing them in the block. Are you planning on sending out the new ones for those of us where the current ones rub the boot ?
Old 5/8/07, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

george

please post when the new bushing go out. im waiting to install till i get the bushings

adam
Old 5/8/07, 09:04 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
George , #1 sounds like a good idea shortening the nuts and recessing them in the block. Are you planning on sending out the new ones for those of us where the current ones rub the boot ?

for those that really need them they can call us and we can add it. it really is not necessary as long as you just flip the bracket and have the nuts on the passenger side.

regards
george
Old 5/8/07, 09:05 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by adnlyn
george

please post when the new bushing go out. im waiting to install till i get the bushings

adam
go ahead and intall that sucker and use the factory bushings they work great and believe me you will be under that car MANY times ****ing with the throw settings

regards
george
Old 5/8/07, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
I just flipped mine and it works perfect....MGW logo is up side down now, but that doesnt really bother me, can't see it anyway......besides,,If george starts making more brackets just to correct the LOGO being upside down, he won't have time to make more shifter shanks and *****....
Old 5/8/07, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
No problems with mine snagging at all.
Old 5/8/07, 04:45 PM

A local shop did the install while I was out of town and I assume they installed the stops which I ordered with the shifter and they did not install the rubber shifter boot. how can I tell if they installed the shift stops? why is it recomended that we not use the stops? and is the rubber boot included in the kit or is that the ford piece. either way where do I get a new one and george I need a new set of instructions as well since the shop tossed them.
Old 5/8/07, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
You don't need the instructions if you check out Taco Bill's excellent installation guide!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=63236

to Taco Bill. Now if only I could convince him to come up from San Diego to install mine!!
Old 5/8/07, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redxls
A local shop did the install while I was out of town and I assume they installed the stops which I ordered with the shifter and they did not install the rubber shifter boot. how can I tell if they installed the shift stops? why is it recomended that we not use the stops? and is the rubber boot included in the kit or is that the ford piece. either way where do I get a new one and george I need a new set of instructions as well since the shop tossed them.
Hello,
Yes, the rubber boot is included with the kit. If in fact your installer did not install the rubber boot, then if you lift up your shifter boot, you should see the silver brackets as noted in the attached picture. Those are the shift stops...
George recommends not installing the stops, since the factory trans has built in shift stops. These can lead to a "false sense of security" when it comes to forcing a shift into gear. (like that is an issue with this shifter...... )

Mike
Attached Thumbnails MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!-mgw-shifter-024-medium-.jpg  
Old 5/8/07, 09:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrkabc
to Taco Bill. Now if only I could convince him to come up from San Diego to install mine!!
Hey Art, who ever said I'm from San Diego?

Anyway, I know you or anyone here can install this shifter. You only need some basic hand tools mentioned in the write-up. Just take it one step at a time and don't rush it. Before you know it, you'll be done!

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!