GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/07, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
MGW Shifter bushings

I finally got tired of the shifter getting soo stiff when it was hot, and re-installed my OE Ford bushings-much better now. When George finally sends the new design bushings, I'll decide whether to install them or just leave the original bushings installed.
Old 5/31/07, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey George, thanks for the shifter, just got it in the mail today via DHL. Talk about fast shipping, order Tuesday get it Thursday. WOW

What a great job at packaging and labeling. Can't wait to get it installed which is scheduled for this Saturday. When I get done with some early morning errands I plan on getting right to it. Can't wait. Hopefully it won't take longer then 2 hrs, although I'm going to take my time and enjoy the install.

I really wanted to buy the shift **** from you but I can't wait so I purchased a black Hurst shift **** from Summit. Don’t worry though I plan on buying more accessories from you as soon as I can free up some more $.

Thanks again for the prompt and wonderful customer service and the super fast shipping. You run a quality organization and should feel proud in the product you bring to the consumers and the level of customer service you offer. Great customer Service is a differentiator in this current society,.

You are the best!

phil
Old 6/2/07, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by goldenpony
I finally got tired of the shifter getting soo stiff when it was hot, and re-installed my OE Ford bushings-much better now. When George finally sends the new design bushings, I'll decide whether to install them or just leave the original bushings installed.

I can't believe the difference since I changed shift linkage bushings. I am finally totally happy with my shifter. I'll tell you how tight the original MGW bushings would become when hot, when I went to change back to the Ford bushings, I had to drive the linkage pin out of the bushings with a hammer. It's no wonder the shifter got hard to shift when the ambient temp got hot, as well as the shifter area getting hot from the close proximity to the exhaust pipes. The MGW bushings were even hard to get out after the linkage had been removed, had to pry them out with a tool. The Ford bushings just fell into place. Don't misunderstand, I still love my MGW shifter, I just love it more now.
Old 6/2/07, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
More feedback.

Passed the 1/4 mile test with flying colors!! Never came close to missing a shift! Smooth! Solid! Precise!

3.5 Mile 21 turn road course event in 2 days, will add feedback after that. But the outcome is obvious in my mind.

Old 6/3/07, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I finally got around to installing my MGW shifter. I noticed that since I installed my polyurethane engine mounts the stock shifter was working a lot better due to the binding issue being resolved by that.
I had the MGW shifter over a month before I installed it because I was waiting for an aluminum driveshaft to arrive.
So I installed the shifter while the driveshaft was out.
With the D/S out it was a VERY easy install.
I did run into a clearance problem though with the BMR D/S loop.
The MGW shifter was hitting it in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears.
After making a spacer to move the BMR loop away from the shifter the problem was easily solved.
The MGW shifter has less clearance with the 4" aluminum D/S but there's still enough and at all works well together.
I just took the car out and flogged it. It is now IMPOSSIBLE to miss 3rd gear.
Gear engagement is very solid and precise. Just as quiet of not quieter than the stock shifter.
This shifter is worth every penny and then some!
For those people who complained about the price. Wake up! This is an extremley high quality product and quality costs!
In my mind the best shifter made for these cars, period!
Old 6/3/07, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I am going to order an MGW soon. How long is it taking you guys to install it from start to finish? I read the instructions and it looks like a job you can do in less than 2 hours.

Jason
Old 6/3/07, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by max2000jp
I am going to order an MGW soon. How long is it taking you guys to install it from start to finish? I read the instructions and it looks like a job you can do in less than 2 hours.

Jason
Two hours is very reasonable, even taking your time and enjoying the install.....

Mike
Old 6/3/07, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Two hours is very reasonable, even taking your time and enjoying the install.....

Mike
+1 Took be about 2 hours reading instructions twice.
Old 6/3/07, 05:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Cool Thanks!
Old 6/3/07, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Need an extra hand Max lemme know. Be more than glad to help out.
Old 6/3/07, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

OK I just installed the MGW this morning and it took about 2.5 hrs but I was really taking my time and enjoying all of it. It went superbly well as a result of using TacoBill's instructions.

The shifting is very precise and stout, so far I really like it. It’s short and sweet. I will say I hear more noise then prior but its not a huge difference. Just a tad more trany and engine exhaust note but nothing incredibly over powering. I had the Mrs. Drive the car for the first time and she really liked the short shifter. She thought the 2nd to 3rd shift was outstanding. She’s a pretty good stick driver lol

Here are a few pics of the install, sorry about the dirt around the shifter was in a hurry to take the pics and hadn’t cleaned up.

Oh and many thanks to Bill again, he makes life so easy for us with these mods!

Old 6/3/07, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
OK I just installed the MGW this morning and it took about 2.5 hrs but I was really taking my time and enjoying all of it. It went superbly well as a result of using TacoBill's instructions.

The shifting is very precise and stout, so far I really like it. It’s short and sweet. I will say I hear more noise then prior but its not a huge difference. Just a tad more trany and engine exhaust note but nothing incredibly over powering. I had the Mrs. Drive the car for the first time and she really liked the short shifter. She thought the 2nd to 3rd shift was outstanding. She’s a pretty good stick driver lol

Here are a few pics of the install, sorry about the dirt around the shifter was in a hurry to take the pics and hadn’t cleaned up.

Oh and many thanks to Bill again, he makes life so easy for us with these mods!

LOL....Looks great, but I sure would like to know how you drove up on all four of those ramps like that.....

Mike
Old 6/3/07, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL....Looks great, but I sure would like to know how you drove up on all four of those ramps like that.....

Mike

Haha, good catch, I didnt notice.
Old 6/3/07, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

I'm a safety nut and I just don't trust jack stands so I drove up onto the front ramps then jacked the rear up and slid the rhino ramps underneath then I went back to the front to jack it up so I could put the jack stands under for added height. As it tuned out it worked great lol. Little more work but piece of mind is gold to me. I thought I'd add the pics so you could see what I did lol Good catch.

Old 6/3/07, 08:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
OK I just installed the MGW this morning and it took about 2.5 hrs but I was really taking my time and enjoying all of it.
Looks great Phil!

Shifts are definitely more positive aren't they? After a short while, you won't be missing the stock shifter at all.
Old 6/3/07, 09:00 PM
GTR Member

Nice job with the ramps!
Old 6/3/07, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Tom, excellent use of the ramps!

I'm pretty safety conscious when working under the car too.
Old 6/3/07, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm a safety nut and I just don't trust jack stands so I drove up onto the front ramps then jacked the rear up and slid the rhino ramps underneath then I went back to the front to jack it up so I could put the jack stands under for added height. As it tuned out it worked great lol. Little more work but piece of mind is gold to me. I thought I'd add the pics so you could see what I did lol Good catch.

LOL....Ya, when I saw the hydralic jack and jackstands underneath, I figured that's what you did...I was just yankin on your footstool.....Kudos to you for good safety measures...!!!

Mike
Old 6/3/07, 10:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Need an extra hand Max lemme know. Be more than glad to help out.
I might take you up on that offer. Maybe I'll order one tomorrow if I get some free time at work.
Old 6/4/07, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

LOL....Ya, when I saw the hydralic jack and jackstands underneath, I figured that's what you did...I was just yankin on your footstool.....Kudos to you for good safety measures...!!!

Mike
Mike I knew you were just messin with me lol

I figured I had 3 way coverage with the jack stand, the hydraulic jack and the ramps. Playing it safe with safety lol

Glad you noticed it though.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!