GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Maintenance free LCA's and panhard bar

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/08, 03:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soitsav6
I have had the BMR's which I changed out for the J&M, I liked both of them but more partial to the J&M as after I changed them out my added road noise from the BMRs was cut down to almost nothing,
I was on the verge of picking up the BMR LCA's. Why would the J&M's be quieter than the BMR's? Both are polyurethane bushings right?
Old 10/17/08, 04:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Picked up adjustable Steeda LCAs w/ urethane bushings on-sale @ MossMustang $100+ off original price, though. Makes it easier to adjust pinion if you ever get a driveshaft.
Wow! that's a great deal ! But how do you adjust them?

Last edited by WaltM; 10/17/08 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10/17/08, 09:21 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

How would a driveshaft offset your pinion?
Old 10/18/08, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I was on the verge of picking up the BMR LCA's. Why would the J&M's be quieter than the BMR's? Both are polyurethane bushings right?
I've been running BMRs for over two years. Of course, since strength was much more important that noise to me, I went with the LCA that has one spherical rod end, and one poly end. If I ever have an issue with the poly end, I'll switch to the double rod end design.
Old 10/18/08, 11:08 AM

Expanding the topic to include the UCA as well...

Has anyone tried the Steeda "Stop the Hop" pack? The details say the that non-adjustable upper control arm is shortened for lowered vehicles - does this correct the pinion angle for the FRPP handling pack? Are LCA relocation brackets really necessary?
Old 10/18/08, 12:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I dont know if J&M's will be any quiter but they do use a unique Poly ball bushing system....
Attached Images  
Old 10/18/08, 04:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Picked up adjustable Steeda LCAs w/ urethane bushings on-sale @ MossMustang
http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=48513

Look nice, haven't installed yet (still waiting to get the car!)

$100+ off original price, though. Makes it easier to adjust pinion if you ever get a driveshaft.
I ordered them an hour ago; just too good a deal to pass up ! I am contemplating an aluminum DS in the future, so these will help. Now all I have to do is figure out how to adjust them, and I'll be good.
Old 10/18/08, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EagleStroker
How would a driveshaft offset your pinion?

Going to a one-piece from the factory two-piece changes your pinion angle.

That is a great deal on the Steedas, I'm thinking about ordering a set and upgrading to these adjustable ones although I already have the non-adjustable Steedas.
Old 10/18/08, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by don_w
I've been running BMRs for over two years. Of course, since strength was much more important that noise to me, I went with the LCA that has one spherical rod end, and one poly end. If I ever have an issue with the poly end, I'll switch to the double rod end design.
Maybe soitsav6 had the same BMR's, which would have additional road noise with the spherical ends. I was wondering if the BMR non-adjustable's were any different than the J&M non-adjustable LCA's. It would seem that the only difference between the two is the shape of the arm, which is square on the BMR and round on the J&M. Other than that, the two both have polyurethane bushings. J&M does have that three-piece bushing though instead of just the two halves.
Old 10/18/08, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

The title of this thread is "Maintenance free LCA's and panhard bar". The only design that qualifies is the spherical end design. It seems to me that all you guys are scared of this design..... does anyone here have these (both ends)?

I have run this design on two cars, one being my twin turbo IROC-Z. I never heard any noise or felt any vibration for years. This being my experience, I bought a second set for my current car, a GT500. To be perfectly honest, I do hear them slightly once in a blue moon.... but that's it. FAR from objectionable. And this is my daily driver. I'll never use any other design on a car I drag race. FYI, I also have relocation brackets and the LCAs are bolted in the lowest hole.
Old 10/18/08, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Which brands did you go with?
Old 10/18/08, 07:51 PM

Maybe soitsav6 had the same BMR's, which would have additional road noise with the spherical ends. I was wondering if the BMR non-adjustable's were any different than the J&M non-adjustable LCA's. It would seem that the only difference between the two is the shape of the arm, which is square on the BMR and round on the J&M. Other than that, the two both have polyurethane bushings. J&M does have that three-piece bushing though instead of just the two halves.
To be honest, I would never get non-adj LCAs. Having the adjustability on them doesn't cost much more, but it makes them sooooo much more versatile.

Originally Posted by Willie
The title of this thread is "Maintenance free LCA's and panhard bar". The only design that qualifies is the spherical end design.
I agree 100%. I also agree that the added noise is rarely noticable... slow speeds and bumpy roads are when I usually hear them.
Old 10/18/08, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Maximum Motorsports LCAs:

http://maximummotorsports.com/

$207! I just got them and I LOVE THEM!!!!
Old 10/18/08, 09:12 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by Tsbird1994

I don't mind noise at all, just curious that's what everyone talks about as the big difference, noticable?
Old 10/18/08, 09:13 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by don_w
To be honest, I would never get non-adj LCAs. Having the adjustability on them doesn't cost much more, but it makes them sooooo much more versatile.
If you get the adj lowers, would you need the adj uppers? Just curious, I don't drag much but i'm looking at the upgrade been hearing it does wonders for the wheel hop
Old 10/18/08, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

when I swapped out the BMRs for the J&Ms there was a difference in road noise, at least on my car, I am sure there could be some that never had any measurable difference, maybe I didnt grease the BMRs properly, who knows, always a lot of variables that cant be accounted for, I do believe the poly spherical bushings are a better design than the straight poly bushing, JMO, which as you see we have plenty of here, noise levels, looks, cost, use, pick which factors are most important, then pick which ones to get, they are all an improvement over the stock sponge ones. LOL
Old 10/19/08, 12:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tsbird1994

Does the sleeve slide back and forth in the spherical end, or is it fixed and they are aluminum?

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 10/19/08 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10/19/08, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
If you get the adj lowers, would you need the adj uppers? Just curious, I don't drag much but i'm looking at the upgrade been hearing it does wonders for the wheel hop
The adj UCA is typically used to set the pinion angle. Having the adj LCAs allows a person to make sure the axle housing stays perpendicular to the car, and also allows the car's instant center to be adjusted.
Old 10/19/08, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

To supplement Don's comment, although lengthening / shortening the lower arms will adjust pinion angle slightly, doing this will also change the wheel location in the wheel well. Therefore, the lowers should not be used to adjust pinion angle -- that's the function of the upper.

Here's a pic of mine with welded relocation brackets. hmmmm... I see a little rust.... Gotta take care of this.

Willie
Attached Thumbnails Maintenance free LCA's and panhard bar-05147.jpg  

Last edited by Willie; 10/19/08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10/19/08, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Willie
To supplement Don's comment, although lengthening / shortening the lower arms will adjust pinion angle slightly, doing this will also change the wheel location in the wheel well. Therefore, the lowers should not be used to adjust pinion angle -- that's the function of the upper.

Here's a pic of mine with welded relocation brackets. hmmmm... I see a little rust.... Gotta take care of this.

Willie
Correct !.

Last edited by blkstang06; 10/19/08 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Maintenance free LCA's and panhard bar