GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MAC straight shot cai

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/07, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAC straight shot cai

I have a 2005 Mustang GT. I bought a MAC straight shot cai and it turned on my cel. I was going too buy a diablo tuner but found out it does'nt support a tune for this cai. Is there anyone who knows if this situation can be fixed with the diablo tuner and if so how? I also would like to know if you had a cai that diablo does have a tune for do they charge you for that download? Thanks to all that may be able to help.
Old 1/25/07, 12:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire Stang
I have a 2005 Mustang GT. I bought a MAC straight shot cai and it turned on my cel. I was going too buy a diablo tuner but found out it does'nt support a tune for this cai. Is there anyone who knows if this situation can be fixed with the diablo tuner and if so how? I also would like to know if you had a cai that diablo does have a tune for do they charge you for that download? Thanks to all that may be able to help.
Firestang ? contact www.bamachips.com Doug is both an SCT and Diablosport tuner who can help with you're Mac straight shot issue..
Old 1/25/07, 04:22 PM

MAC straight shot

Thanks I'll try that.
Old 1/27/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had the straight shot on my '05 for a while now, I also got the cel when I first installed it. I was able to get the cel to stay out by adjusting the position of the aluminum mas tube. I had to rotate it upward at the rear, where the sensor plugs in. At first I had the sensor almost level, for looks. I did talk to MAC and they mentioned something about the "flow entry angle". So I looked at the stock air box and noticed the the sensor did not sit level, but slightly pointed upward, away from the tube. I tried to match this angle with the aluminum tube as close as I could, and it worked, no cel for more than 6 months.

About the predator. I have one of these as well. One of the first things I did when I got it was to check for error codes. The two codes that were stored were: P0171, lean bank 1 and P0174, lean bank 2. From what I have read here and elsewhere, this is a common problem (running lean) when using a cai whithout a proper tune.

I cleared the codes and then installed the Diablo 87 performance tune, the car ran fine, I did not notice that much of a difference in performance, but within 50 miles, my cel came on. I checked the codes and the 171 and 174 were back. I cleared them again, but the next day they came back.

A few days later I was able to fill up with 93. I cleared the codes and installed the Diablo 93 performance tune. This time I DID notice an improvement in the way it ran. It accellerated better and the throttle response seemed quicker. After getting on it a few times, the cel came on. I checked the codes and they were the same, 171 and 174.

Reading the manual and looking at the the web site, their canned tunes are for the stock air box and that this is most likely the issue. I was going to use the Predator to go in and richen up the fuel curve just a little bit to see if I could get rid of this problem, but the next time I plugged my tool in, it decided to quit working. I had to get an RMA from Diablo and send my tool in for repair. I have just sent it in and it will be at least a week before I get it back.

I was wondering if I could use the tune for the Steeda or Ford Racing CAI's for the MAC? Looking at pics of those two, and the mac, they are almost identical. Does anyone have a Predator tune for either of those two they could send me and I could try out?
Old 1/27/07, 10:28 AM

I got rid of the light by restricting the amount air that it gets through the mas meter. Today I received my tuner [diablo] and put the diablo 87 oct. performance tune in what a difference I felt. No light either but I also did not take out the re stricter I put in it.
Old 1/27/07, 09:10 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Doug from bamachips.com did a write up almost a year ago in which he tested several cold air intakes that claimed didn't require tuning.. however according to his test results ? the mac straight shot's air/fuel was rather lean at WOT without tuning..So I would recommend that you seek his advice before installing it just to be on the safe side
Old 8/5/07, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a pic of the Mac Straight Shot installed on their car?