GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

To Lower or Not to Lower

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/06, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had no problems with my car in turning or ride quality. OK, it rides a little rougher, but very acceptable. I have Ford Racing springs which advertise that they lower 1.5" front and rear. It came out to 1.5" lower on front and 1-1/4" rear. I run 255/45 on 18x8.5 fronts and 285/40 on 18x10 rears.
Attached Thumbnails To Lower or Not to Lower-dscn2522b.jpg   To Lower or Not to Lower-dscn2525b.jpg   To Lower or Not to Lower-dscn2527b.jpg  
Old 11/27/06, 12:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Richard.

Take a look at a stock height Mustang. The arc of the wheel and the arc of the wheel well will be close to concentric with the center of the arcs being the rear axle and the front spindle. My personal opinion is that lowering the car changes the relationship of the wheel and wheel well arcs and makes them look lame. A slammed Mustang just doesn't look good. You can change the look and height of your Mustang by just going to a shorter sidewall on your tires. If you're doing this for looks, then there are plenty of pics in these forums showing both stock and lowered suspensions. If you are doing this for better handling, then there are better ways of improving handling without lowering. Beef up bracing, control arms, sway bars, and get tuned dual rate spings.

I would avoid anything that would be suspect to the insurance industries. Don't give them any excuse to drop your policy. The don't ask, don't tell approach doesn't wash either as adjusters will inspect a vehicle after a collision and could cancel your policy at that time. Factory or dealer installed optional equipment is exempt unless it carries the ORV only tag. Raising trucks and lowering cars is a macho thing and serves no useful purpose unless said vehicles are for ORV applications only. (Flame suit on)

For those of you who will come back with the "It's my car and I can do whatever I want with it" reply, yes you can as long as it is still 50 state street legal. It had better comply with all local, state, and federal laws. If not, be prepared to pay out copious amounts of greenbacks for lawyers fees or settlement costs in the event that you are involved in a multi-vehicle wreck or a single car wreck involving personal injuries or property damages. You don't even have to be the one who initiated the crash, if the citing officer deems your vehicle in violation of the law, you will be ticketed.

BB

Semper Fi
Old 11/27/06, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You guys are responding to a thread that's over a year old.... But, since it was dug up...nothing wrong with Steeda's and D-specs...

Old 11/27/06, 11:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Centurion96
Hi Richard.

Take a look at a stock height Mustang. The arc of the wheel and the arc of the wheel well will be close to concentric with the center of the arcs being the rear axle and the front spindle. My personal opinion is that lowering the car changes the relationship of the wheel and wheel well arcs and makes them look lame. A slammed Mustang just doesn't look good. You can change the look and height of your Mustang by just going to a shorter sidewall on your tires. If you're doing this for looks, then there are plenty of pics in these forums showing both stock and lowered suspensions. If you are doing this for better handling, then there are better ways of improving handling without lowering. Beef up bracing, control arms, sway bars, and get tuned dual rate spings.

I would avoid anything that would be suspect to the insurance industries. Don't give them any excuse to drop your policy. The don't ask, don't tell approach doesn't wash either as adjusters will inspect a vehicle after a collision and could cancel your policy at that time. Factory or dealer installed optional equipment is exempt unless it carries the ORV only tag. Raising trucks and lowering cars is a macho thing and serves no useful purpose unless said vehicles are for ORV applications only. (Flame suit on)

For those of you who will come back with the "It's my car and I can do whatever I want with it" reply, yes you can as long as it is still 50 state street legal. It had better comply with all local, state, and federal laws. If not, be prepared to pay out copious amounts of greenbacks for lawyers fees or settlement costs in the event that you are involved in a multi-vehicle wreck or a single car wreck involving personal injuries or property damages. You don't even have to be the one who initiated the crash, if the citing officer deems your vehicle in violation of the law, you will be ticketed.

BB

Semper Fi
Well said Bob. I too would like all sorts of stuff on my car but one has to be careful. Not only does the stuff cost a bundle, you are f--ked if the insurance company decides to drop you. I used to race Formula Fords. When my insurance company found out, guess what, I was out on my keester. Don't want to have that happen again.

Jon
Old 12/3/06, 11:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by scramblr
You guys are responding to a thread that's over a year old.... But, since it was dug up...nothing wrong with Steeda's and D-specs...

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...5/P1020352.JPG
Which Steeda springs are you using Scramblr?