GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Kenne Bell Supercharger (Think twice!)

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/05, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me tell you a little about Kenne Bell. Located somewhere in Rancho Cucamoga CA. I am from Missouri, traveled to CA for Christmas with wife's family and made arrangements to visit Kenne Bell Mfg, spoke with two associates and was assured I would be able to see the project 05 Mustang and construction of the supercharger as well as ask questions about application and performance. I was given directions to their facility with hesitation, upon arrival to Rancho I was unable to locate the shop as well as their phone had suddenly been put on hold for about 2 hours. I stopped at several buisiness near the area and they had heard of people also looking for this location and heard poor customer service stories as well. Upon return to San Diego I stopped by JBA to look at a set of long tube headers and was strongly cautioned to stay away from Kenne Bell due to severe nightmares with customer service issues they have had with Kenne Bell. Frustrated I feel I must reconsider my choice of superchargers and am compelled to let you all know of my experience. For those of you with Kenne Bell superchargers already installed I hope that it is working fine and I hope that it continues to for your sake!
Old 1/4/05, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

WOW! They say people always tell 10 of their friends and family when they have a bad customer service experience, but I think this one will touch a few more. Thanks for getting it out there.
Old 1/4/05, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow! is right. What about the whipple supercharger?
Old 1/4/05, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just now deleted my shortcut to Kenne Bell website that I was saving for when I had the dough after tax return!!!

C-YA!

My baby is too precious for questionable mods!
Old 1/4/05, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

While a quick google reveals others with complaints about this shop - though I don't know how you can miss finding it, yahoo maps has the address - it also reveals plenty of people with positive things to say.

You might want to take this complaint with a grain of salt.
Old 1/4/05, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@January 4, 2005, 11:17 AM
While a quick google reveals others with complaints about this shop - though I don't know how you can miss finding it, yahoo maps has the address - it also reveals plenty of people with positive things to say.

You might want to take this complaint with a grain of salt.
I am aware that there are internet maps available; however, while I was on vacation I had virtually no internet access easily available and thought that I could rely on directions to their location after gaining permission to stop by. I have looked at yahoo maps when I returned home to find that I was given directions about 2 miles away from the facility. Call Kenne Bell yourself and inquire about this product and let me know what you find out. If this is a freak occurence that someone that did not know how to give directions to their location answered the phone then why was he answering their phone? Why are there complaints about their customer service?
Old 1/4/05, 10:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have to agree with Dan....What happened to Derek was totally uncool...I'll definitely do more research on them prior to buying something as substantial as a supercharger from them...I was debating between KB and a few other s/c providers (Procharger, Whipple, etc.) and this news helps me lean toward the others as I was undecided anyway....I love this site for the info it provides, both good and bad....

John
Old 1/4/05, 10:41 AM

From another forum that I posted the same info within minutes of posting.....

Back in the mid to late '80s, I worked at an all-Ford speed shop, and we had numerous complaints regarding Kenne-Bell products...in fact, we discontinued their "unbreakable" roller rockers and rocker shafts for the big block FEs (they had a lifetime warranty) because they were breaking all the time.

I'm staying away...
'05 GT Black w/ Drk. Charcoal, 5-speed Manual, IUP, Side Air Bags, Shaker 500, Bassani Xhaust (SS Cat-Backs w/ X-pipe)
Planned Mods: SCT XCalibrator, CAI, Underdrive Pulleys, Steeda Springs, Sway bars, and Tri-Ax
Old 1/4/05, 11:01 AM
FR500 Member

I'd be wary as well, that's not a good indicator of quality service for sure.

Actually, I'd be wary of ANY supercharging systems that come out anytime soon. There just hasn't been enough time to put these installations to the test. There will be issues with trying to supercharge this motor with too much boost.

It's just a matter of time before we hear of the person who spent $5k+ on a blower, tries to add a little more boost than recommended and KABLOOEY no more engine.

What that limit is we won't know until somebody comes out with some hard stats...I haven't seen any as of yet.
Old 1/4/05, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

KABLOOEY is such a great term. (flashbacks) I had to laugh for a few minutes before I could type! But, you are absotively posolutely right Tony. I am waiting for the right moment, but at the same time, taking notes. If you urine off a fellow Mustang owner of mine, you ARE DONE!!! I wont even question his/her reason. The market is so vast and robust that I will get the proper quality and service I want at the right price... end of story!!!
Old 1/4/05, 11:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DozerzPony@January 4, 2005, 1:12 PM
If you urine off a fellow Mustang owner of mine, you ARE DONE!!! I wont even question his/her reason.
Which is a great reason for someone to fabricate a story about a shop they don't like even if they were treated fairly by all accounts except theirs. I'm not saying that is the case here.

Always question reasons and motives. I doubt you'll find a single shop that has 100% satisfied customers, and the ones who aren't are usually the loudest.

( "urine off", love the filter on this board)
Old 1/4/05, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by DiamondBlue+January 4, 2005, 12:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DiamondBlue @ January 4, 2005, 12:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DozerzPony@January 4, 2005, 1:12 PM
If you urine off a fellow Mustang owner of mine, you ARE DONE!!! I wont even question his/her reason.
Which is a great reason for someone to fabricate a story about a shop they don't like even if they were treated fairly by all accounts except theirs. I'm not saying that is the case here.

Always question reasons and motives. I doubt you'll find a single shop that has 100% satisfied customers, and the ones who aren't are usually the loudest.

[/b][/quote]
Prior to my recent experience I have lusted after a KB supercharger since I saw one put an 03 Cobra in the mid 11s with street tires at a local track. I have owned, restored, and raced a 66 Mustang for 16 years. My 05 is my 4th fuel injected Mustang. I have experience with supercharched engines in cars/boats/and motorcylces along with countless purchases with performance vendors. I have no personal vendetta against KB and do not stand to gain from my complaint with them in any way, merely giving an insight to customer service wich has saved me in the past. I work hard for my money and need to know that my wife and two kids will not be upset after a $3800.00 purchase from a company that has treated me like this. It is possible to have the same thing happen with another supercharger company and I am shopping currently with this in mind.
Old 1/4/05, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

What happened to you does stink, but I buy based on product quality, and I just assume that every company will have crappy customer service, which they usually do.
Old 1/5/05, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

Granted, what happened was very poor. But, them being relucant to show you a work in progress, and you not being able to find their location doesn't seem to raise too many red flags. I think people expect to be treated like VIPs by all of these companies and have over-inflated expectations.

Of course, the phone thing is completely unnecessary and inexcusable.

But, you add to that other complaints of service, and first hand knowledge of poorly performing parts, and I am a little more interested.

I would like to hear more feedback from people who actually have installed their products before I make a decision.
Old 1/5/05, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Rampant@January 5, 2005, 9:44 AM
Granted, what happened was very poor. But, them being relucant to show you a work in progress, and you not being able to find their location doesn't seem to raise too many red flags. I think people expect to be treated like VIPs by all of these companies and have over-inflated expectations.

Of course, the phone thing is completely unnecessary and inexcusable.

But, you add to that other complaints of service, and first hand knowledge of poorly performing parts, and I am a little more interested.

I would like to hear more feedback from people who actually have installed their products before I make a decision.
Thank you for an intelligent and not overwhelming reply. I really feel that what you have replied with is the interest that I am trying to raise with the issue. I don't expect to be treated like a VIP, I did feel privelaged that KB would even talk with me much less allow me to come to their location to view a product under construction. I am only concerned with their customer service and ability to work with the customer after the sale. Others don't mind that customer service is crap from anyone they purchase performance parts from but at $3800.00 I too raise interest when experiencing what I did. Again, not trying to disuade future clients from KB, only to inform them to proceed with caution.
Old 1/5/05, 07:03 PM

Customer service plays a key role when I make purchases of this magnitude whether its for my toys or something else. As a potential buyer I am glad that the thread starter shared his story with us. From my experience companies with **** poor customer support usually do not make the best product out there. When I drop the kind of money I am planning on spending on this car I demand to be treated right.
Time to look elsewhere for my fi needs I suppouse.
Old 1/6/05, 04:46 AM
Cobra Member

I agree, 05_John. Thats alot of coin to drop to be treated like that.
Old 1/7/05, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

I know it's been said, Derek, but KB isn't the only screw type blower... a whipple is essentially the same thing... it's just a different name and a little bit of a different housing over the same Lysholm compressor. You wouldn't be selling yourself short by any means going with Whipple. check them out, bro.... I'm impressed by 'em.
Whipple Industries
Old 1/7/05, 11:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

whipples look nice also. i checked out their site, you actually can't buy the directly from whipple, you have to purchase through SALEEN.

Tired of the boost lag of centrifugals and low power gains of the roots type superchargers, achieve instantaneous throttle response and tremendous midrange torque by bolting on a well engineered Saleen Supercharger System. These easy to install, emissions legal, high quality systems bolt on in a matter of hours while requiring no internal modifications to the stock engine. Systems come complete with the industry leading twin screw compressor, specially designed intake manifold, large air-to-water intercooler, heat exchanger all all the necessary hardware for a easy installation. For more information, contact Saleen @ www.saleen.com or 949.597.4900.
unfortunatly, they're not available yet...but i'm sure it will be soon.