GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/05, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by don_w@August 6, 2005, 1:49 AM
After spending the majority of Friday evening starting the install of my new CDC shaker scoop, I have learned that my new TBS is an unfortunate victim of this mod. The shaker is attached by the 2 bolts on the top of the throttle body. With the TBS in, it moves the mounting point 1" too far forward, and the scoop doesn't fit over the engine anymore, and even if it did, it wouldn't line up properly with the hole in the hood. That sux, too... cuz I like the TBS. Anybody want to buy one on the cheap? I paid $108 for it... make me an offer.

BTW, for those of you considering the shaker, you should know that installing the shaker with a C&L CAI (and probably any other CAI except the stock filter box/tube), will require some trimming/cutting of various parts of the shaker housing. There are several areas of interference, including but not limited to, the C&L intake tube, the MAF sensor, the passenger side vent tube, and various hoses. My jigsaw and a dremel tool were busy tonight. I'll be finishing this up on Saturday...
Too bad I ordered one a couple days ago, sounds like someone will get a good deal. Thanks for the heads up on the shaker....can't wait to see the finished product and hear how you like it.
Old 8/6/05, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by outdoorstom@August 6, 2005, 8:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the shaker....can't wait to see the finished product and hear how you like it.
Installing it was a challenge, to say the least!! I posted a detailed writeup here: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33039

Make sure you read the whole thread... some of the info was from last night, but there is a lot of info from today deeper in the thread.
Old 8/6/05, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, it's probably obvious from the index, but for the sake of completeness/convenience, I've posted a thread with the JET TBS dyno'd.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=31023
Old 8/7/05, 12:07 PM
FR500 Member

I ordered the Jet spacer yesterday from autoanything.com. I went back and forth with it, but at under a hundred bucks shipped... even if it takes away the flat spot I have and gives me a little better throttle response, I'd be pleased. It should be in by the end of next week. So, hopefully I'll be able to put it on next weekend and I'll give a report.
Old 8/7/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not sure to post here or in the new Dyno thread, so I'll do it here to maintain this one.

I installed mine Friday. I did NOT reset the computer. I wanted to see what would happen. Well, something happened. I started the car, and it wouldn't idle right. The idle was going up and down like the computer was relearning. Hmmmm. I blipped the throttle a couple times (instant response), and after it ran for a minute, it found the right idle, and I've had no problems since.

THE THROTTLE LAG IS GONE!! That alone is worth $100. Engine also seems stronger down low. I have had the rear end step-out a couple times without even trying. It just seems so much more responsive now. There is also a nifty wine from the intake now. Like somebody else said, it sounds like a supercharger, but quiet. Obiously it is doing something to the air flow.
Old 8/7/05, 03:01 PM
FR500 Member

I wonder since I now have a funtioning hood scoop that is basically set up as a ram air system, if this throttle body spacer will do even more good than if I didn't have more air and cooler air now going to the intake. I know when I first cut the hole in my hood and set it all up that I definitely had better throttle response. So, I'm hoping that the spacer will make it even more noticeable. Has anyone installed one of these who has a functioning hood?

I will definitely unhook my battery though before I install it. I think that's the safest way to go. I'm sure you could do fine without it... but I'd bet it'll take the computer longer to reset and relearn everything all on it's own than to unhook it and have it just start from scratch.
Old 8/7/05, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by acadian@August 7, 2005, 12:10 PM
I ordered the Jet spacer yesterday from autoanything.com. I went back and forth with it, but at under a hundred bucks shipped... even if it takes away the flat spot I have and gives me a little better throttle response, I'd be pleased. It should be in by the end of next week. So, hopefully I'll be able to put it on next weekend and I'll give a report.
Look fwd to it...i have been struggling and so far have not pulled the trigger on this one yet
Old 8/7/05, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by acadian@August 7, 2005, 3:04 PM
I wonder since I now have a funtioning hood scoop that is basically set up as a ram air system, if this throttle body spacer will do even more good than if I didn't have more air and cooler air now going to the intake. I know when I first cut the hole in my hood and set it all up that I definitely had better throttle response. So, I'm hoping that the spacer will make it even more noticeable. Has anyone installed one of these who has a functioning hood?

I will definitely unhook my battery though before I install it. I think that's the safest way to go. I'm sure you could do fine without it... but I'd bet it'll take the computer longer to reset and relearn everything all on it's own than to unhook it and have it just start from scratch.
I have a functional hood and it may help to compound the effect on the TB spacer... Best 100 dollar mod I have done!
Old 8/7/05, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll be getting one very soon! I'm glad to see more manual trans people saying they like it too. I just ordered springs and exhaust so I want to put it off a week or too just to spread out the mods.
Old 8/8/05, 06:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 5, 2005, 5:39 PM
Hey, Brad! How's P'Cola? I was wondering when you were going to jump in here again.

Are you planning on installing a spacer TOO? (You've got everything else planned for that car) I knew you wouldn't be able to stop with the mods.

My Steeda rear springs and SLP loudmouth are on the way.
I might wait on the Throttle Body instead, might hold off on the spacer. My JLT is already rubbing the underside of the hood, so I don't want any more clearance issues.
Old 8/8/05, 07:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Several Weeks pass, still runs strong!! :headbang:
Old 10/5/05, 08:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nobody has responded to this thread in a while, but if anyone comes back I have a question. It seems that most of you who report the throttle lag are running a Predator tune. I know some SCT users have also reported the lag, but according to everyone's signatures, it seems most of the lag problems are with Diablosport Predators. I was doing a search on the TBS when I came across this thread. I'm still debating between a Predator and a SCT. I'm def. going w/ C&L cai and most likely a TBS.
Old 10/5/05, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

A tuner doesnt cause the throttle lag, it is something that is there from delivery day. What I have noticed is that the power doesnt start transfering until about 1500rpm, I wouldnt call this lag. I dont believe the engine evens make good power so low and off idle.

-Dan
Old 10/6/05, 06:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

The throttle lag comes with the stock electronic T/B. All the GT's have a slight throttle lag. I had the T/B Spacer without the SCT tuner for several months and the throttle lag was completely gone when I installed the TBS, its not the tuner programs that cause lag, as cleveland already posted.
Old 10/6/05, 03:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok thanks guys
Old 10/29/05, 08:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by bobbo+July 16, 2005, 2:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobbo @ July 16, 2005, 2:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>What I don't understand is, if the Tornado Fuel Saver and similair vortex creating intake gizmos does not work, then how could TBS's like this possible work?

Both supposedly add power/torque/gas mileage by creating a vortex action and increasing atomization.

When I posted a question about the Tornado, 100% of the replies said it won't work. Howver, I see a lot of people with TSBs. PEople seem to believe these work.

Can anyone explain why one is effective and the other is not? Can anyone explain why OEMs do not but these things in? Do they negatively impact emissions?
[/b]

I agree 100% I am Sceptical as well.

<!--QuoteBegin-Swieduwilt

Get The SCT XCAL 2, It give you a more aggressive tune for Automatics over the Preditor.

I had my tuner set my shift schedule very agressive it removed over 70% of the Lag. If you replace the Stock 55mm Throttle body to a 62mm they say it may remove up to 85% of the delay.

The purpose of the "throttle delay" is to avoid clunk. Removing tip-in rate limiting will now cause you to have clunks on rapid pedal tip-in's. Also, you must be careful when you say "throttle delay". Tip-in rate limiting is not a "delay" but a limit in the rate at which the throttle is opened. In the automatic, the vast majority of your "throttle delay" complaints will actually be transmission induced as a result of hydraulic delays and shift scheduling. Removing tip-in rate limiting will not help, tuning will.

Finally, all spark-ignited engines with a finite intake manifold volume will have a delay between when the throttle plate moves and when the engine starts to increase torque output. This is because the intake manifold takes a certain amount of time to fill with the incoming air. The bigger the intake manifold, the bigger the delay.
[/quote]

I think I would rather get the BBK 62mm TB, I do not think the spacer helps ..JMO..
Old 10/29/05, 10:32 PM
Cobra Member

So many reputable tuners try to steer you away from throttle bodies, it just isnt a good mod for the entire rpm range. The spacer is not like the Tornado btw, a carb spacer does the same thing as this Jet Power one and those things have been around for years and people know that they work.

That spacer helped to lock my converter, thus helping my plugs on their way to destruction. Im living proof that the spacer works when it was my only mod that would increase power from one track day to the next.

-Dan.
Old 10/30/05, 07:32 AM

i've had my tbs on for a couple weeks now... definitely happy with it... a hundred bucks well spent...
Old 10/30/05, 09:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had the TBS on the GT for about 6 weeks now. I didn't notice any real difference in performance - I'm already running the 87 tune from the Predator. However, now that I've cycled through several tanks of gas, I've found that my MPG has gone up by about 1.25 across the board. On a recent road trip to Jacksonville, I hit an all time high of 23.3. That's running at 65+ with the occasional burst to 85.

I'm pleasantly surprised and this makes the investment worthwhile!

Quick Reply: JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer