GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Burke0011@August 1, 2005, 8:28 PM
So wait - is anyone with the JLT intake have this installed yet? Curious about clearance issues....
Mines coming in tomorrow, I'll report my findings then
Old 8/2/05, 10:06 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by y22kc@August 1, 2005, 8:34 PM
Mines coming in tomorrow, I'll report my findings then

Sweeeeeet........

Old 8/2/05, 01:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt@July 31, 2005, 8:33 PM
The current Power-Flo will only work with the stock 55mm TB. My post was a what if there were a 62mm version to match the BBK TB...
Uh, me too...if there were a 62mm version, would it all fit...
Old 8/2/05, 03:37 PM

Kind of reminds me of the throttle body air foils for Corvettes, eventually everyone decided they were pretty much useless. In fact here is a write up for an LT1.

"You'll notice increased throttle response plus greater torque over the entire RPM range following installation of this simple air foil. Sits just ahead of the throttle body to improve air flow into the intake plenum. Stock engines can realize gains of up to 14 horsepower. Installs in minutes with no modifications. Instructions included."

Not trying to flame, just think they are very similar items and no actual gains were ever found with the air foils.
Old 8/2/05, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ahhh, canceled my order. I'm getting the tint done instead, and I'm also ordering some suspension stuff too. I need SOMETHING to do this weekend!
Old 8/2/05, 05:58 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
So does any anyone who has one or is getting one have a manual trans?
Old 8/2/05, 06:09 PM
GT Member

I was talking to the gents at HPP in Lewisville today, asking about their preferred intakes, tuners, etc. One of the fellows said the reason for the 'flat spot' in acceleration, was a throttle plate issue. In his opinion, the plate flutters when you are running at a mid range speed, as a method, or a by-product of the computer trying to maintain the speed via the electronic throttle control. In order to get the throttle to respond well again, you have to significantly increase or decrease accelerator pressure. Hence, an apparent 'flat spot' in throttle response.

This came up when I asked his opinion on the TB spacer, and he thought it made sense that it improved response, since it was an airflow issue that is causing the flat spot in the first place. He also said they have tried to tune out the flat spot for several customers, with no luck, and have never tried a spacer. He found the spacer idea to be intriguing, and he tunes Mustangs for a living...
Old 8/2/05, 06:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 300HPGT@August 1, 2005, 9:39 PM
ReallY!!!!??? Well my car is running at about 218* w the fans on at 190 and off at 180. using the predator.
Yep - my Predator tune is set up the same way and my car, once warmed up, is right around 192* or so.
Old 8/2/05, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I had that flat spot stock and with 7 different tunes. Got one From BamChips and it is gone. So I can tell you from experence it can be tuned out.
Old 8/2/05, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by don_w@July 31, 2005, 9:57 PM
OK... I said I would report back on the TBS after a session at the track (1/8-mile).

First of all, it was really toasty out there, so I didn't improve on any ETs from previous days. But, the average 60' time for 10 runs was about 0.030 - 0.040 quicker than my previous best, even though the average 1/8-mile ET was about a 0.100 slower compared to the best. The TBS was only difference in the car in the last three weeks. So, I would say those numbers indicate that TBS has indeed helped bottom end performance.

[BTW... those numbers mean more to me than a dyno.]

Hi Don,
I was wondering if your Butt-O-Meter has been calibrated this year. As you have read my previous post I am one that wants to see the dyno sheets. I am NOT tring to start a fight but if your 1/8 times are better because of the spacer than the low and mid range power on a dyno should prove you out. I am still skepical but if everyone is saying they can feel it than for $100 bucks it might be worth it.
Scott
Old 8/2/05, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 2, 2005, 7:01 PM
Mine's a manual tranny. It came it today at 5:45pm as I was heading out the door. Just got back, and I'm too lazy to install it atm, lol. I may wake up early and install before work tomorrow, otherwise will be when I get home.
Old 8/2/05, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@August 2, 2005, 6:16 PM
Hi Don,
I was wondering if your Butt-O-Meter has been calibrated this year. As you have read my previous post I am one that wants to see the dyno sheets. I am NOT tring to start a fight but if your 1/8 times are better because of the spacer than the low and mid range power on a dyno should prove you out. I am still skepical but if everyone is saying they can feel it than for $100 bucks it might be worth it.
Scott
You need to re-read my post... I said the 1/8 times were slower (because of the heat), yet the 60' times were quicker. If you want to send me $90 for a dyno and another $100 for my time, I'll get you dyno numbers. Otherwise, I'll continue to be happy with low end performance gains as measured by timing clocks, not drums of water.

BTW, I'm not here to sell you one of these, I couldn't care less. All I did was keep my word and post actual track results... which I would have done no matter what the outcome was. I'm funny that way...

And StangNut... hawgman's car is a manual.
Old 8/2/05, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Blue Knight@August 2, 2005, 6:12 PM
I was talking to the gents at HPP in Lewisville today, asking about their preferred intakes, tuners, etc. One of the fellows said the reason for the 'flat spot' in acceleration, was a throttle plate issue. In his opinion, the plate flutters when you are running at a mid range speed, as a method, or a by-product of the computer trying to maintain the speed via the electronic throttle control. In order to get the throttle to respond well again, you have to significantly increase or decrease accelerator pressure. Hence, an apparent 'flat spot' in throttle response.

This came up when I asked his opinion on the TB spacer, and he thought it made sense that it improved response, since it was an airflow issue that is causing the flat spot in the first place. He also said they have tried to tune out the flat spot for several customers, with no luck, and have never tried a spacer. He found the spacer idea to be intriguing, and he tunes Mustangs for a living...
Yea, I am one of the "several customers" that Jeremy can't get the flat spot out of the tune. I think they have pretty much given up. First Jeremy said he was going to call SCT, then after a week of not hearing anything back from them I called Manny. He said he was going to email them. It has been two weeks since that conversation and he doesn't even bother to respond to phone calls or emails anymore. I haven't bothered to mention to them that I picked up the TBS and it has helped with the problem. Actually, I would like to remove it and for them to tune the darn car so that the flat spot is not there, then put the TBS back on.
Old 8/2/05, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 2, 2005, 6:01 PM
Mine is a manual tranny.
Old 8/2/05, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 8/3/05, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Just finished installing mine. Was pretty easy, about 20min. However, there is a clearance issue with the JLT and the power steering pump. I pulled out the digital camera to take a picture of what I was talking about and the batteries are dead. Basically, the JLT can't clear the power steering pump, so it sits on top of the edge of the pump. I can't really tell, but it looks like the hood is touching the JLT filter when it's down while it's sitting on the pump. I made a quick fix by removing the pump, sliding the intake down in the proper position, and using some zip ties to keep the power steering pump in place. There's not but one bolt that holds it in place, so I'm gonna alter the mounting device a bit, so it will reverse and be in position where I can screw it (again, wish I could show you with pictures.)

Haven't driven it yet, came inside for coffee and shower, will give her a test when I head to work in a few.
Old 8/3/05, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Performance seems to reflect what everyone else says, more responsive and no flat spots. Worth the money IMO
Old 8/3/05, 10:51 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by y22kc@August 3, 2005, 6:48 AM
Just finished installing mine. Was pretty easy, about 20min. However, there is a clearance issue with the JLT and the power steering pump. I pulled out the digital camera to take a picture of what I was talking about and the batteries are dead. Basically, the JLT can't clear the power steering pump, so it sits on top of the edge of the pump. I can't really tell, but it looks like the hood is touching the JLT filter when it's down while it's sitting on the pump. I made a quick fix by removing the pump, sliding the intake down in the proper position, and using some zip ties to keep the power steering pump in place. There's not but one bolt that holds it in place, so I'm gonna alter the mounting device a bit, so it will reverse and be in position where I can screw it (again, wish I could show you with pictures.)

Haven't driven it yet, came inside for coffee and shower, will give her a test when I head to work in a few.

HHmmph..... I knew there would be a clearance problem..... :bang:

But you seemed to find a way around it.... keep us updated after another day of driving or so and about the difference
Old 8/3/05, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

[attachmentid=29402]

I edited one of Maverick's pics to show where it doesn't clear. Notice how the K&N is kinda curved right there. The JLT is pretty much just straight, so it doesn't clear. It's no where close to the radiator resorvoir where I originally was worried about it touching. Couldn't find a pic of the power steering pump that showed the bolt, but basically I removed that one bolt, moved the pump closer towards the front of the car and used a zip tie to keep it from moving around everywhere. It wedges between the intake and the lip that's there under the hood to keep it from moving around as well.

Drove it around at lunch, really does seem more responsive. I didn't disconnect the battery during installation to see the differences over what it was doing before. I think I may disconnect it to reset the computer in case it needs to adjust some more

Quick Reply: JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer