GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/05, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by y22kc@August 3, 2005, 11:09 AM

I edited one of Maverick's pics to show where it doesn't clear. Notice how the K&N is kinda curved right there. The JLT is pretty much just straight, so it doesn't clear. It's no where close to the radiator resorvoir where I originally was worried about it touching. Couldn't find a pic of the power steering pump that showed the bolt, but basically I removed that one bolt, moved the pump closer towards the front of the car and used a zip tie to keep it from moving around everywhere. It wedges between the intake and the lip that's there under the hood to keep it from moving around as well.
The C&L also has some interference right there as well. But all I did was loosen the bolt and shift it slightly.
Old 8/3/05, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by don_w@August 3, 2005, 12:24 PM
The C&L also has some interference right there as well. But all I did was loosen the bolt and shift it slightly.
Interesting that your C&L had interference at the PS resovoir. Mine cleared with ease. Only place it was close was the radiator overflow.

Got an update from HPP racing today. Apparently Joel, your conversation with Manny made an impact. Guess what he emailed me this morning saying would fix my flat spot...just take a guess. Yup, a throttle body spacer. Couldn't help but laugh considering I was like the 2nd or 3rd person in this thread you told him about that had put one on. I politely ( ahem... ) responded back and told him I was aware of them and knew of the "people on the internet" that he was referring to. I also mentioned to him the number of people that said they have been able to get a tune from different tuners that removed the flat spot and I would appreciate them to continue their investigation. Doubt it will happen though.
Old 8/3/05, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hawgman@August 3, 2005, 1:36 PM
Interesting that your C&L had interference at the PS resovoir. Mine cleared with ease. Only place it was close was the radiator overflow.
I thought the C&L had that slight curve the K&N had, but I guess it could vary on different cars since the pump can move some when the bolt is loose. No such luck on the JLT, had to move it pretty far.
Old 8/3/05, 12:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by y22kc@August 3, 2005, 2:39 PM
I thought the C&L had that slight curve the K&N had, but I guess it could vary on different cars since the pump can move some when the bolt is loose. No such luck on the JLT, had to move it pretty far.
Post pics as soon as you can of the mod you had to make to the PS pump. I just ordered my spacer. You guys are getting me in trouble LOL. Is there a cure for this disease?
Old 8/3/05, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by don_w@August 2, 2005, 9:05 PM
You need to re-read my post... I said the 1/8 times were slower (because of the heat), yet the 60' times were quicker. If you want to send me $90 for a dyno and another $100 for my time, I'll get you dyno numbers. Otherwise, I'll continue to be happy with low end performance gains as measured by timing clocks, not drums of water.

BTW, I'm not here to sell you one of these, I couldn't care less. All I did was keep my word and post actual track results... which I would have done no matter what the outcome was. I'm funny that way...

And StangNut... hawgman's car is a manual.

Don,
I have never asked you or any member on this site to provide dyno sheets at their expense for my personal gain. If fact in an earlier post on mine I said I think the MANUFACTURER of this item should provide the dyno work with ONLY the spacer being the only variable. I am very interested in this item and am only saying that the dyno should prove what your rear end is telling you. It would seem if you 60' times improved that low end torque should be up and the dyno should show that. I know you are running a C & L with I think 91 octane tune. I am running the same intake with the 93 tune and my throttle response is almost to quick with this setup. No lag at all. If you had lag and this fixed it for you thats great. I think you are taking my post on this item incorrectly. Sorry.
Scott
Old 8/3/05, 07:09 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for all the "manual" responses. Looks like I'll be getting one.

I knew the JLT wouldn't fit with the spacer. I was there when Hatchmaninstalled his and it almost touched the cap w/o a spacer.

y22kc The reason it doesn't clear is the one JLT sells is different than the one they designed. If you still have the instructions, you can see the curved rubber section is longer than the one they have pictured. I would suggest cutting it to match the "original" version. This would also fix the other clearance issues the JLT has. (even w/o the spacer)
Old 8/3/05, 08:20 PM

If you are planning on adding a CDC Shaker Scoop (like I'm doing this weekend)... READ THIS:

The shaker won't fit properly with the TBS installed. The shaker uses the top two bolts of the throttle body as it's attachment points. And with the TBS in there, the bolt locations are 1" farther forward in the engine compartment. Using the bolts in this location will cause the shaker to be misaligned with the hole in the hood (not good). I have two options: (1) eliminate the TBS, or (2) fabricate a new mounting bracket which will fit under the shaker, and extends 1" longer than what is there now. I may need to go with Option 1 temporarily until I can make Option 2. :angry:
Old 8/3/05, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 3, 2005, 8:12 PM

I knew the JLT wouldn't fit with the spacer. I was there when Hatchmaninstalled his and it almost touched the cap w/o a spacer.

y22kc The reason it doesn't clear is the one JLT sells is different than the one they designed. If you still have the instructions, you can see the curved rubber section is longer than the one they have pictured. I would suggest cutting it to match the "original" version. This would also fix the other clearance issues the JLT has. (even w/o the spacer)
Outstanding idea :worship: ! Didn't even cross my mind this morning, but of course I was doing all this without any coffee yet :P. I'll cut mine tomorrow, like that a lot better than rigging up my power steering pump (which is not my favorite part of Ford's after a few bad experiences with them...)
Old 8/4/05, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just ordered one....my first performance mod. I am also interested in the Western Motorsports CAI. I called them to make sure the TBS will fit with their system and they assured me it will.
Old 8/4/05, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@August 4, 2005, 3:35 PM
My drag racing results are inconclusive. I ran a 13.27 @ 104.7 with a 1.97 60ft. With a 104.7 trap speed I should be running 12.9 - 13.0 With the Density Altitude Correction Factor I could have run a 12.7 - 12.8 in good air. This tells me that there's an issue with torque not getting to the rear wheels. The TCI converter goes in this weekend and a new tune without torque management will soon follow.
are your times with slicks or stock tires?
Old 8/4/05, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting, I got an email from RPMOutlet a few days ago telling me the spacers where on backorder for two weeks . . . I just recieved a package today. Well, it gets installed tommorow afternoon since I'm off work. Hopefully I can add to the positive reviews.
Old 8/4/05, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by y22kc@August 3, 2005, 9:53 PM
Outstanding idea :worship: ! Didn't even cross my mind this morning, but of course I was doing all this without any coffee yet :P. I'll cut mine tomorrow, like that a lot better than rigging up my power steering pump (which is not my favorite part of Ford's after a few bad experiences with them...)
y22kc
I just thought of something that might not let you cut it. Is there a "lip" INSIDE the rubber elbow piece that the throttle body (or spacer in your case) slides up to?
I think there is. If so, and you cut it back, there wouldn't be a lip (or shoulder, rather) so you would lose the mating / sealing surface. Make sense? Take a look and let me know what you think.
Old 8/4/05, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 4, 2005, 10:13 PM
y22kc
I just thought of something that might not let you cut it. Is there a "lip" INSIDE the rubber elbow piece that the throttle body (or spacer in your case) slides up to?
I think there is. If so, and you cut it back, there wouldn't be a lip (or shoulder, rather) so you would lose the mating / sealing surface. Make sense? Take a look and let me know what you think.
No, it's just plain 90 degree elbow hose, no lip on the inside at all. So trim away if needed.
Old 8/5/05, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 3, 2005, 9:12 PM

Nice picture by the way!

Should be enough clearance for me!

Old 8/5/05, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, it looks like I'll finally be able to dyno this bad boy tomorrow. Assuming everything goes as planned, I will, of course, post my results.
Old 8/5/05, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by nbk13nw@August 5, 2005, 9:04 AM
Nice picture by the way!

Should be enough clearance for me!

Yours looks like the one pictured in the instructions. That's why there aren't any clearance problems. It's shorter than the one I saw on Hatchman's car.
Old 8/5/05, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Hatchman@August 4, 2005, 10:27 PM
No, it's just plain 90 degree elbow hose, no lip on the inside at all. So trim away if needed.
Hey, Brad! How's P'Cola? I was wondering when you were going to jump in here again.

Are you planning on installing a spacer TOO? (You've got everything else planned for that car) I knew you wouldn't be able to stop with the mods.

My Steeda rear springs and SLP loudmouth are on the way.
Old 8/6/05, 01:46 AM

After spending the majority of Friday evening starting the install of my new CDC shaker scoop, I have learned that my new TBS is an unfortunate victim of this mod. The shaker is attached by the 2 bolts on the top of the throttle body. With the TBS in, it moves the mounting point 1" too far forward, and the scoop doesn't fit over the engine anymore, and even if it did, it wouldn't line up properly with the hole in the hood. That sux, too... cuz I like the TBS. Anybody want to buy one on the cheap? I paid $108 for it... make me an offer.

BTW, for those of you considering the shaker, you should know that installing the shaker with a C&L CAI (and probably any other CAI except the stock filter box/tube), will require some trimming/cutting of various parts of the shaker housing. There are several areas of interference, including but not limited to, the C&L intake tube, the MAF sensor, the passenger side vent tube, and various hoses. My jigsaw and a dremel tool were busy tonight. I'll be finishing this up on Saturday...

Quick Reply: JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer