GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JDM Prothane Motor Mounts Installed..WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/08, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking JDM Prothane Motor Mounts Installed..WOW!

I finished installed the JDM modified Prothane Motor Mounts, and all I can say is wow! Those mounts make a big difference in the shifting. I haven't taken it WOT, but it has reduced the gear clunking I was getting through the lower gear. I tightened up the shifts big time. There is a bit more virbarion coming from the engine now, but it also seems to sounds a little better.

Took awhile to do it myself though, as this is the first big mod I have done, that required me to get dirty under the car. Took me about 5 hours to do it, and many times just lying there on the ground wondering why I started this. Took awhile just getting the bolts off the factory engine supoprt bracket. Those things were torqued big time. Got worried that I wasn't going to get them off, and finally they came loose. Started with the drivers side first, and when I got to the passenger side, it took less time, but had to remove 2 starter wires, so that I could remove the factory motor mount.
Old 8/23/08, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does your engine sit any farther forward on the prothanes? Mine sits about 1/4" farther forward on the prothanes than it did with the stock mounts.. I've been told I can loosen them up and slide the engine back again, but I have yet to try this. I dont know if pushing on the engine would mess up the driveshaft or anything...

I do love the feeling though. I felt hardly any additional vibration, and it makes the shifts feel much smoother and less clunky.
Old 8/23/08, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ov3n
Does your engine sit any farther forward on the prothanes? Mine sits about 1/4" farther forward on the prothanes than it did with the stock mounts.. I've been told I can loosen them up and slide the engine back again, but I have yet to try this. I dont know if pushing on the engine would mess up the driveshaft or anything...

I do love the feeling though. I felt hardly any additional vibration, and it makes the shifts feel much smoother and less clunky.
Nick you won't hurt a thing. But you would also need to loosen the trans mount and the bolts that hold the Prothanes to the frame. It will move back.
Scott
Old 8/23/08, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if it does sit futher up or not.

Sean
Old 8/25/08, 02:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanD
and many times just lying there on the ground wondering why I started this.
LOL, I have felt that before. But when you are done, it is all worth it and offers a great feeling (through pride and the physical car).
Old 8/26/08, 10:56 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The JDM modified ones are the ones that have the tops milled off, right? Are any of you with the JDM mounts running LT headers? If so, do you have any clearance issues? (LTs are planned for sometime in the future)

I only ask, as I've heard the Prothane mounts make LT installs a whole lot easier, but I'm not sure I want the engine sitting 1/2" (what I've heard) higher. Mostly because I plan on putting a WMS intake on it (again, in the future), and there's already (apparently) some clearance issues with the hood blanket that having it even higher would exacerbate.