GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JBA Longtube Header Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/05, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Alright, so the JBA longtube headers are sitting in my garage, and they go on tomorrow. I've checked everything about five times now, and I seem to have all the parts I need. Both headers (a left and a right), both sides to the H-pipe (catted), two sleeve clamps, and two O2 sensor extenders. So far, so good...

My two questions are:

(1) Included with the H-pipe was a U-bolt about 2-3 inches across at the tips of the U. Obviously designed to go around the exhaust piping, but where and what for? Not mentioned in the instructions, or did I miss it?

(2) The instructions say to place the O2 sensors in the headers, and sure enough, there's holes drilled and threaded waiting for them. However, there is also a pair of holes in the H-pipe behind the cats. Obviously they can't go in both, and I don't think the sensor extenders will go that far back, so what goes in these two holes?

This looks pretty straightforward, and I don't think I'll have a problem doing the install. I have access to a garage with a lift and several certified mechanics who would love to help, they've been there for every mod so far. Had to pick their brains a few times, too. So, I think I'll be okay once I figure out these two little issues.

By the way, I noticed something when I was inspecting the headers. On the driver's side header was tack-welded a plate that said "JBA Exhaust, C.A.R.B. 3-810" A CARB number! Does that mean that they are 50-state legal now? Because they were listed as NOT before. Just thought I'd ask...

Thanks in advance for the help, guys!

Eric
Old 9/29/05, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

Eric,
I'm gonna assume those bungs (as they are called) in the H-pipe because it may be used for several applications.. and when building the H-pipe, they may have assumed that you may not have O2 bungs in the headers... Just plug them. The guys you're working with may have some on hand, and if not, they'll know where to get some.
..... and... you're gonna have to rely on someone else to answer your other questions.
Old 9/29/05, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Clint. I kind of figured that was the reason those other (bungs?) were there, but I thought I'd get a second opinion here. So, that's one down. Any takers on the other?
Old 9/29/05, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

I will asume your H-pipe came with the band style clamp's and the U-bolt style clamp's correct.(4 clamp's total)

That's how mine came and it just give's you a clamping option...IMO the band style HD clamp's are the only way to go, they seal up great.

On the sensor bung's, let me see if I understand this correctly. On your Cated H-pipe (from JBA I assume) there are two threaded sensor bung's? On the Long Tube Header's there are two threaded O2 sensor bung's (one in each header). In the header's are where you install the O2 sensor's that come out of your stock exahust manifold's. Now on the stock Cat's there are two more O2 sensor's screwed into them (one in each cat, for two more O2 sensor's and a total of 4 on the car). If your new cated H-pipe also has sensor bung's then that is where you would install the O2 sensor's that came out of your stock cat's...The extension's will be used on the O2 sensor's that go into your header's, you should be ok on the length of the cat sensor's. Hope I have this right and that make's sense...
Old 9/29/05, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Pay attention to Justins reply.There are four sensors. You would probably figure this out when you went to install but Justin's description is spot on. Good catch Justin and good luck Eric. Let us know how it goes.
Old 9/29/05, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I would add steeda or prothane engine mounts to your list before install.
Old 9/29/05, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Firedude@September 29, 2005, 7:52 PM
I would add steeda or prothane engine mounts to your list before install.
Definatley, I forgot to mention those. It will stop unessesary rattles from rubing, do to tight tolerances. They will also help a little more torque find it's way to your rear tire's were it belong's...
Old 9/29/05, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the replies, and you're probably spot on. I'll find out when I get it on the lift.

As for the motor mounts, they're sitting in the garage right next to the headers. I pay attention, and "Search for topics" worked for me! Seriously, I've been following all the people who've done various exhaust work, especially headers, so I felt pretty confident I was getting the right kit.

I'll definitely post the results when I have them on. Dyno'ing will happen within the week.

Eric
Old 9/30/05, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

which one is better, steeda or prothane? prothane being cheaper, hows the quality?
Old 9/30/05, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs down

EMERGENCY! Need advice quick!

OK, on the stock exhaust there are two O2 sensors on the stock headers, and two more on the catalytics. There are holes (bungs) for the forward ones at the bottom of the JBA longtubes, and bungs for the after ones behind the cats. Problem is, none of the O2 sensors will reach! I only have one set of O2 extenders, which are keyed for the after O2 sensors, but they won't reach from the bungs way behind the cats. If I put them in the forward bungs, then they'll reach, but that leaves the after bungs open, and nothing plugged into the forward O2 sensor connections on the car.

This can't be right! Am I missing something here? Please help!

Thanks!

Eric
Old 9/30/05, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@September 30, 2005, 7:14 PM
EMERGENCY! Need advice quick!

OK, on the stock exhaust there are two O2 sensors on the stock headers, and two more on the catalytics. There are holes (bungs) for the forward ones at the bottom of the JBA longtubes, and bungs for the after ones behind the cats. Problem is, none of the O2 sensors will reach! I only have one set of O2 extenders, which are keyed for the after O2 sensors, but they won't reach from the bungs way behind the cats. If I put them in the forward bungs, then they'll reach, but that leaves the after bungs open, and nothing plugged into the forward O2 sensor connections on the car.

This can't be right! Am I missing something here? Please help!

Thanks!

Eric
I PM'd you...Whatever you do don't install the cat O2's into the header's even if they fit!!! The Manifold (header O2's) are the important one's and must go into the header's. You can extend all the O2's yourself (what I had to do), just take's a little time and patiance... Check your message....
Old 10/1/05, 07:00 AM

Hey, sorry I have been away from the net. I am in Bowling Green KY for the NMRA World Finals with my wife and I am waiting on her to finish getting ready to go to the track this AM. The rear O2 sensors need only be inserted into the pipe. You may choose to go to the hardware store and get a pair of plugs that fit that bung if you like as well. The key is to have your tuner or someone with SCT/Diablo abilities to "turn off" your rear O2 sensors which none of us with full length headers use anyway. Even if your car has cats this will be the best way to go, trust me. Your car will continue to pass inspection visual and sniff tests but if you have the sensors on you will most likely get codes that you will have to clear frequently. Good Luck,
Derek
Old 10/1/05, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Update!

Got the pipes on (And what a cast-iron PITA that was!). Tightened everything down, fired it up, and...

Exhaust smoke in the engine bay! Obviously, I have a leak somewhere. I tightened them down by the prescribed pattern, but I guess I didn't tighten them down enough. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought I was torquing on them pretty hard, but it is so hard to get your hand in there!

Thanks again for the continunig string of advice, I truly appreciate it! We're going to tighten everything down AGAIN in the morning and see what we have.

Eric