GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/06, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse

My first time on a road course and I loved it. There is nothing like an open road course track to see what you and your car are made of! I do know that I need to upgrade my brakes and suspension before I go back. It became painfully obvious of the cars deficiency.

At the end, my instructor took me out in his 1994 Mustang GT with 5.4L motor. Wow! It was incredible going around the track with an accomplished driver and track prepped car. I was absolutely amazed at how we went through the course.

The Good:
1. I was complimented for my natural driving abilities. I was able to choose a good line, hold that line and adjust if necessary. I was also aware of my surroundings. Only real problem was trusting myself to look ahead up the track and use my peripheral vision.

2. The Saleen was a beast on the speedway and a blast to power down the speedway part like a NASCAR car. I got up to 125-ish before I ran out of track. If I can get the brakes done at the least, I will try and get back up there when they run the "large track".

3. JDM tune -- I thought my auto would be searching for the right gear but with the JDM tune, it was pretty much spot on, especially with O/D turned off in the infield.

The Bad:
1. Stock suspension is adequate, but can be better. I am thinking of going to Saleen suspension with Fays Watts Link. When I get better and the car isn't a daily driver I will upgrade to a more serious setup.

2. Stock brakes suck! After a few laps I cooked the rotors and pads and had to learn to drive real smooth to keep them cool. It taught me a lot actually instead of just powering in then jamming on brakes. I am upgrading to slotted rotors and Hawk or EBC pads ASAP (I was smart enough at least to put in high temp brake fluid before going)!

3. Stock seat support is really bad. My sides and knees hurt from trying to keep myself centered. Will a 5-point seatbelt setup help?

4. Saleen supercharger is too powerful! I never thought I could have too much power but I did! It is almost like an on-off switch and a little hard to predict when you need that fine throttle control. Nothing I can do now but learn to anticipate when it kicks in.

Overall a good day and I am officially hooked! Problem is Mrs. Pumpkinfish wants to hit the track. Either we share or get another car.

Pictures and movie done by Mrs. P--if they are bad blame her...lol!

Click here for video!
Attached Thumbnails Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2715.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-00_2736.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2718.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2729.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2731.jpg  

Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2737.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2739.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2740.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2742.jpg   Impressions of Stang on Pocono Roadcourse-100_2750.jpg  

Old 7/17/06, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like fun!
Old 7/18/06, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got some great pics that's for sure.
Old 7/18/06, 09:52 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a great time at Pocono. I used to do it for several different clubs, and was an instructor briefly. Its a very fast track, and you are correct, the stock brakes on just about any car are not adequate for the abuse they see when diving into corner from 120....repeatedly.

Looks like you had a great time!