GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst billet shifter exists

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/08, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by anthony05gt
Dang bro! I just looked at the pic of the MGW adjusted to it's highest position and I can't believe you'd want even that high. That's higher than any other shifter will allow.
If you're one of those people that cruise around with one hand on the wheel and the other resting on the shifter most of the time then I guess you'd want the shifter low. If you drive with both hands on the wheel, as I often do during sprited driving, you would want the shifter as close to your hand on the wheel as possible.

As I've said before, look at any race car and you'll see the shifter is quite tall.

Last edited by Fords4Ever; 3/15/08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 3/15/08, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what shifter thread that has nothing to do with Hurst have we jumped in?.
Old 3/15/08, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Just as the Hurst people jump in every thread that doesn't concern them. IMO. If the MGW people are at fault for hijacking threads, then the Hurst people are just as much at fault !
Show me one. Then after you look, check and see how many you or someone else has jumped into not concerning your shifter.
Old 3/16/08, 02:53 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by 302svt
Show me one. Then after you look, check and see how many you or someone else has jumped into not concerning your shifter.
First of all, I don't have a shifter just yet. In fact, if you recall from page 3 of this thread. I had clearly stated, that I was originally interested in the Hurst Comp (plus) shifter.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Hurst. Until I spoke with Hurst's tech support dept. And then with George from MGW.

Needless to say, after comparing my phone conversations. The Hurst tech rep didn't seem very interested in answering my questions, nor was able to provide technical details about their product, other than it's design is similar to the stock unit, with the exception of being a short throw shifter.

However on the other hand, George from MGW was very informative, polite, and answered each of my technical questions, in a very professional, and precise manner. In fact. I could even tell how passionate he was about his product, when describing which materials each component is designed from, and how each part must be inspected/tested, before being shipped to the customer.

By the time it was all said and done. He must have spent like over 45 min. on the phone with me. And after asking him, if he recommended going with the adjustable stop kit. His response, was don't even waste my money, as it's really not necessary. Thanks to the internal stops built into the transmission. Now that's what I call trustworthiness and excellent customer support.

That being said. I don't mind paying an additional $100.00, when it concerns a superior quality product, along with great customer service to back it up.

As far as I'm concerned. The MGW is definitely worth every penny, and then some
That being said, I haven't jumped into anything not concerning my shifter, because I simply do not have one at this point.

However I have located a few past threads, in which the Hurst shifter was favored over the MGW, and other shifters. The following thread links are attached for you to check out for yourself.

MGW or Tri-Ax shifter 07 GT - Page 2 - The Mustang Source Forums
Mgw Short Throw Adjustable Shifter For V6 Coming Soon>>> - The Mustang Source Forums

PRO 5.0 shifter feed back - The Mustang Source Forums

COMPARED: MGW vs STEEDA SHIFTERS - The Mustang Source Forums

Steeda Shifter - Page 2 - The Mustang Source Forums

Short throw Steeda shifter for 05+ V6 (pre-assembled) - The Mustang Source Forums

MGA Shifter kicks @ss - The Mustang Source Forums

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/16/08 at 02:56 AM.
Old 3/16/08, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
If you're one of those people that cruise around with one hand on the wheel and the other resting on the shifter most of the time then I guess you'd want the shifter low. If you drive with both hands on the wheel, as I often do during sprited driving, you would want the shifter as close to your hand on the wheel as possible.

As I've said before, look at any race car and you'll see the shifter is quite tall.
No, you're not supposed to drive around with your hand on the shifter unless you're changing gears. Now if my shifter handle was up as high as you want it I would think the throw would then be extremely long making shifts slower which would prrobably equal the time lost reaching down a little lower.
Old 3/17/08, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Although I'm very interested in purchasing the original "comp" shifter. I'm also very concerned with missing gears, due to what others have complained about Hurst's (notchy) shifter design.
I feel that the 'notchiness' HELPS me hit the right gears... Haven't missed one yet since installing it about a month ago
Old 3/17/08, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question. But why not just simply re-use the factory sound deadening material for reducing NVH
I was able to fit all the factory rubber/grommet back over the Comp Plus

Here's the link to my install:
http://ec.scranton.edu/hubert/Cars/Mustang/Hurst.html
Old 3/18/08, 10:07 PM

Thanks for all your feedback, and support Tsbird1994. However I've already decided quite some time ago to purchase another shifter, in which I can no longer reveal the name, due to thread jacking.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/18/08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 3/25/08, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

For those of you who have been patiently waiting for the Hurst Billet shifter, it is available at Moss Motors Ltd. for $279.95... I received an e-mail notice today.

Looks nice....

Bobby M.
Old 3/25/08, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all your feedback, and support Tsbird1994. However I've already decided quite some time ago to purchase another shifter, in which I can no longer reveal the name, due to thread jacking.
You're a smart fella!
Old 3/25/08, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No, you're not supposed to drive around with your hand on the shifter unless you're changing gears. Now if my shifter handle was up as high as you want it I would think the throw would then be extremely long making shifts slower which would prrobably equal the time lost reaching down a little lower.
My understanding is that the longer handled Hurst is still a shorter throw than stock - so it's the best of both worlds. Also for me the issue isn't the lenght of the throw but the sloppy feel of the stock shifter.
Old 3/25/08, 09:30 PM

You're a smart fella!
Well most of the credit, is due from following your advice. In which I still can't thank you enough.
Old 3/26/08, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Fords4ever....I hear ya. You gotta do what works for you.

m05fastbackgt, you're welcome. I can't tell you how frustrated I was before with my Triax. This thing really solved my problems and proved to be better than expected.
Old 3/27/08, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

m05fastbackGT and anthony05gt, why don't you guys start your own thread where you can love on each other and your "other brand" shifters so the rest of us that are interested in news on the Hurst shifters don't have to read all your off topic posts If you want to post ONE TIME about your preference for another shifter then that is fine, but there is no need to repeat yourself over and over and over. In fact the more you repeat yourself the more inclined we are to dismiss your comments as hate-mongering rather than valid information.
Old 3/27/08, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow never knew people were this passionate about the rods they grip. . Lets try not to personally attack people otherwise we won't be able to have these discussions.

Myself being in the 25-35 group love the looks and machining of the MGW but I also like the looks of the Hurst handle. I wonder if you could cut down the hurst handle to fit in the MGW? Maybe some Delrin on the sides to fill in the hole of the MGW mount. I know I'd have a b@stard of a shifter but maybe I'd have the looks I want with the feel I want.

Last edited by Deric; 3/27/08 at 01:33 PM.
Old 3/27/08, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
m05fastbackGT and anthony05gt, why don't you guys start your own thread where you can love on each other and your "other brand" shifters so the rest of us that are interested in news on the Hurst shifters don't have to read all your off topic posts If you want to post ONE TIME about your preference for another shifter then that is fine, but there is no need to repeat yourself over and over and over. In fact the more you repeat yourself the more inclined we are to dismiss your comments as hate-mongering rather than valid information.
Well it appears that you have a d@mn reading problem, because if you had bothered to take the time in reading over pages 2 and 3 of this thread. You would've noticed that I was originally interested in purchasing the Hurst competition (plus), that is until the Hurst tech support (rep) I spoke with, was neither interested in taking my phone call, nor addressing any of my technical questions.

Therefore, If a vendor is unable to answer my questions, and treat me as a valued, perspective customer. I don't give a rat's @ss how good they're product may be. I'll just simply take my business to somebody else, who rightfully deserves it.

As for my supposed off topic posts are concerned. I was doing nothing more other than expressing my appreciation towards one of the other members, who actually took the time, and consideration in addressing my technical questions. In which btw is the main purpose behind these forums.

And FYI: for those who know me, will tell you that I do my very best in addressing technical questions/concerns, in a positive and supportive manner.

Now on the other hand, if you had just simply asked, in an adult and respectful manner. I would've been more than glad to honor your request.

That being said, perhaps these are things you should take into consideration, before resorting to such immature behavior, along with your personal attacks which are totally offensive, and uncalled for.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/30/08 at 03:58 AM.
Old 3/28/08, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. Tres Wright....the reason we don't start another thread is because we don't want to. If you want to back up something with some technical facts then do it, otherwise I suggest maybe you should visit mustangworld.com. We talk tech here and I prefer to use my experience in this area to help others make quality choices. I know some people have made bad choices with parts and may be in denial or possibly may be just trying to convince themselves they made a good choice. I don't know. I do know that I have a lot of experience with this subject. Everybody should just try to be a little more civil. Have you driven a car with this un-named shifter?....... I didn't think so. Let's keep it on an adult level.
Old 3/28/08, 05:38 PM
Cobra Member

Back on the original subject. Here is the shifter at Moss Mustang.

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...44&SortOrder=1
Old 3/28/08, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
Back on the original subject. Here is the shifter at Moss Mustang.

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...44&SortOrder=1
Am I reading that right - the GT model has a billet handle and not chrome? Ugh. The picture looks like a chrome handle, but the text says chrome stick on the V6 model.
Old 3/28/08, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

its a chrome stick!

Quick Reply: Hurst billet shifter exists