GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Billet Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/07, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wsmatau
You can run ANY handle you want. Just call George and tell him the thread size of the handle you want and he'll hook you up. You could do a Hurst ball-type or a T-grip. I wouldn't be suprized if they could accomodate a pistol grip.
I know they can do the **** but they can't do the chrome handle because his is round and adjusts.
Old 8/6/07, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
I don't want a MGW. If they could retrofit a Hurst handle then I would get one. I want the retro look and short throws of the Hurst.
Yup, +1 to that. MGW says they may some day modify their shifter so a Hurst stick can be bolted to it, until then I'm not interested.
Old 8/6/07, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's ridiculous. If the look of the handle is what's most important to you then I say get your priorities straight.

One thing that hasn't been addressed in this particular thread is the fact that George (MGW) has a fix for the remote beam on this car's shifter design. He has a torsion clamp where the beam attaches to the main shifter body which allows the assembly to twist a bit with the flex of the transmission on hard acceleration. NONE of the other manufacturers did this. From what I can see, and I've been around a while, this is the main reason I can speed shift now and couldn't with the triax with nearly 500 rwhp. All of the other great features like fully adjustable throw length, sound deadening materials, precision machined top shelf materials, and the greatest customer service are just the icing on the cake.
Old 8/7/07, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
That's ridiculous. If the look of the handle is what's most important to you then I say get your priorities straight.

One thing that hasn't been addressed in this particular thread is the fact that George (MGW) has a fix for the remote beam on this car's shifter design. He has a torsion clamp where the beam attaches to the main shifter body which allows the assembly to twist a bit with the flex of the transmission on hard acceleration. NONE of the other manufacturers did this. From what I can see, and I've been around a while, this is the main reason I can speed shift now and couldn't with the triax with nearly 500 rwhp. All of the other great features like fully adjustable throw length, sound deadening materials, precision machined top shelf materials, and the greatest customer service are just the icing on the cake.
My priorities are straight, I want a Hurst Billet shifter with the chrome handle and white **** not a MGW. So why don't you get your priorities straight and go to the MGW thread and post there.
Old 8/7/07, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

My priorities are straight, I want a Hurst Billet shifter with the chrome handle and white **** not a MGW. So why don't you get your priorities straight and go to the MGW thread and post there.

Exactly!..
Old 8/7/07, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Then I say find a nice little Hurst handle and the silly little ball and tape it to the junk Ford gave you. You will have an inferior shifter.
Old 8/7/07, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Any shifter (Pro, Steeda, MGW) is better than a shifter that is NOT available yet. Even the Hurst rep said about 60 days until its available, and that's been almost a month over due. This thing was supposed to be out a year ago, and I bet it never hits the market.
Old 8/7/07, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Then I say find a nice little Hurst handle and the silly little ball and tape it to the junk Ford gave you. You will have an inferior shifter.
That's funny since MGW offers that same silly little ball for their shifter. By the way it might not look as good with the tape on it so I will bolt it in but Thanks anyways.
Old 8/7/07, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Any shifter (Pro, Steeda, MGW) is better than a shifter that is NOT available yet. Even the Hurst rep said about 60 days until its available, and that's been almost a month over due. This thing was supposed to be out a year ago, and I bet it never hits the market.
I never once said that the shifter would be better than any other, all I said was that that is what I wanted. I have the PRO 5.0 and I am very satified with it right now, I just like the retro look of the chrome handle and white ****. If it doesnt come out I might just order them as someone else on this site did and attach it to the PRO 5.0.
Old 8/7/07, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I never once said that the shifter would be better than any other, all I said was that that is what I wanted. I have the PRO 5.0 and I am very satified with it right now, I just like the retro look of the chrome handle and white ****. If it doesnt come out I might just order them as someone else on this site did and attach it to the PRO 5.0.
That would always work.
Old 8/7/07, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's funny since MGW offers that same silly little ball for their shifter.
I know that. He offers the silly ball for the folks that feel the need for it.

Look, unless Hurst's new shifter has a torsion design to the remote beam or a brace/bracket that completely eliminates the shifter from being mounted to the car's body it will for sure be just another piece for the scrap pile. A completely stock Ford shifter a with Paul's High Performance shift right brace will perform better than anything that doesn't address the Tranny/body mount including the triax and pro50 models not to mention the current stamped metal trash from Hurst.

If this new shifter comes out and they have actually addressed this issue I will shut my trap. Until then I'll continue to spread what I consider a major breakthrough for what Ford had to do with the longer wheelbase on the new stangs which is incorporate a remote mounted shifter that also attaches to the car's body. Most of the guys who read these forums do not even understand that. Some do, some don't. Those who don't should receive the true facts about what really works well. Those who feel the need for the Hurst style handle and ball over true precision & performance have every right to buy what they want. That's their choice. My choice is to share what I know to be the most clever design in hopes that others will experience it along with the few that already have.
Old 8/7/07, 08:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have to admit, and i know i should not be talking because i am an auto, but i tryed a Shelby GT and i loved the look of the Hurst shifter but i also love the idea of the MGW being able to adjust how short you want the shifts. I think the hurst could be alot shorter so if i ever do buy a Shelby or a Bullitt i would love to have the advantage of an MGW but with a Hurst arm and any shift know would work for me as long as it is not a pistol grip
Old 8/7/07, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why are you so angry?
Old 8/7/07, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Why are you so angry?
That's what I have been wondering. Good information but wow
Old 8/8/07, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah whatever. Just a tried and true MGW fan. There are a few of them out there. they make nice stuff, but to bash another product like this is kinda rediculous.
Old 8/8/07, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I was waiting for it last summer and gave up. I bought the regular shifter from Hurst, and am very pleased. Don't wait any longer buy the one that is available, you won't regret it. It is akso the one that is on the Shelby GT.
Old 8/8/07, 11:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey man... if you want to wait for the Hurst Billet shifter... more power to you. I'm on your side..

I had wanted a MGW shifter from years ago after I got my 96 GT, but I already had the Steeda TriAx and I stayed with that. Then when I bought the 05', MGW didn't have a shifter for it and I hated the OEM. I went with another Steeda TriAx and was very happy with it.

However, when I started to follow the MGW threads about the new to be released MGW on this forum, I started wanting one. The more I read about the shifter the more I knew I wanted one. So, when George made the beta offer at the special price of $272, I put my name in the hat and got one.

You are the one that has to be happy with your ride, after all, you're the one who drives it... get what you want and enjoy it.. I hope for your sake, Hurst gets the design error corrected and has a Billet on the market soon.. It will be a good shifter and you should be happy with it.

I'm for anyone getting rid of the OEM shifter.

By the way, has anyone in this thread really bashed a shifter manufacturer?? I came about as close as anyone when I commented about the 4 or 5 e-mails I sent to Hurst/Mr. Gasket trying to get them to sell me a 'shifter boot adapter'. The company didn't refuse to sell me one, they just didn't bother to answer any of the enquires. If my money isn't good enough for them, then I'm at liberty to state my opinion. As for the MGW owners that have responded in this thread, I don't believe they have 'bashed' anyone, only expressed their belief that the MGW is the best shifter on the market for the S-197 stangs and that customer service is second to none.

Bobby M.
Old 8/9/07, 05:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The only real "bashing" I've done if you want to call it that is saying that this new billet shifter was supposed to be out a year ago, then 6 months ago, now most recently -according to the Hurst rep who likes to post in this thread and defend his product- one month ago; however it is still not available. I was waiting too, then bought the Pro unit because the Hurst was not out and eventually bought a used MGW for dirt cheap from a guy who bought a GT500 and didn't need his GT parts.

I could really care less what shifter anyone buys as long as they're happy with it; I however don't like it when manufacturers string their customers along..............
Old 8/9/07, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
I could really care less what shifter anyone buys as long as they're happy with it; I however don't like it when manufacturers string their customers along..............
Tom. The only bashing going on in here IMO is from Anthony at not only Hurst, but Steeda, Pro, and any other shifter company that is not MGW. His information is good but it seems apparent he is ticked at something which is fine, just don't take it out on everyone here who doesn't have an MGW.
Old 8/9/07, 09:38 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

I would like to please ask for anybody that is an MGW customer to please refrain from posting anymore in threads concerning other vendors. I think the MGW threads are VERY helpful in spreading the word and it really is not appropriate to post here. Again, i am just asking please do not think i am trying to tell you guys what to do.

i REALLY appreciate the GREAT customer support from you guys but i think we should show respect for the vendor that the threads are directed too.

Hurst is a great company and makes quality products. I sincerely hope that we some day have 1/10th the name recognition that they have

regards
george

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Shifter