GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Billet Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/07, 05:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am confident that the Hurst Billet Plus shifter will be a huge success. The company has been around for years, and now the acquisition by B&M who has also been around for years will prove a quality and well developed piece.

The Hurst shifter available now (391-0201) is nice alone, and I love it for the street. Little stiff at first, but breaks in quite nicely.

I think that the billet model will be JUST AS GOOD as any other competitive product. As for the comments that the MGW is "the best out there", you gotta know the guy's right... that's opinion.

I'm sure that the MGW is great, and I've heard no complaints. It was well engineered, and their shifters for even the earlier models have proven top notch.

My point is don't underestimate Hurst, good things take time, and I will be happy to stock them when they are available. I will be sure to install and test one out the moment they become available and post my reviews accordingly and honestly.

It's all about price tag. Sure the MGW is a great shifter, but some people don't have that much to fork over. For those that do, feel happy... just as you would if you could afford a set of amazingly constructed American Racing Headers in which the price is justified.

If you can't, the competition is great quality (Hurst), and when it comes out you'll still be thrilled.

You can't go wrong either way! Good luck!
Old 5/22/07, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
I think that the billet model will be JUST AS GOOD as any other competitive product. As for the comments that the MGW is "the best out there", you gotta know the guy's right... that's opinion.
Yes, it is, but it is opinion based on facts. Of course we can debate semantics and what "best" means to different people. I took "best" to mean the most well constructed, user friendly, quiet, positive feeling and engaging shifter that I have used. Someone else might define "best" as the cheapest (which the MGW is definitely not). Still others may define "best" by their potential profit margin ...Each man for himself.
Old 6/7/07, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Any updates.
Old 6/7/07, 08:27 PM
eci
Banned

Hurst is a mass market product built around profit. MGW is a "hobby" product built for perfection and very little profit.
Old 6/7/07, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor

Very valid point. But a company built around profit providing something of little quality always goes down quickly. I am confident it will be a GREAT shifter for the price.

I've been anxious for it for quite some time now.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 6/7/07, 08:43 PM
eci
Banned

If the difference were like $200 versus $800 I'd understand. The price difference will be like $80 max. No point. If someone has a $25k S197 they should be able to swing it.
Old 6/7/07, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

I had the Hurst billet shifter ordered from Jegs sence Dec . In may I received a email from jegs stating that Hurst has cancelled production on the billet shifter and that my order would be cancelled . The email also stated that they were going to re-evaluate this decision this fall . Weather this is actual fact or not is anyones guess , but i know they cancelled my order .
Old 6/7/07, 08:51 PM
Former Vendor

I understand. It's all preference... I like the Steeda and Pro 5.0 myself, and many people hate it because they don't read how to keep it from binding. So it's really all opinion. I haven't had a chance to actually drive a MGW shifter. I've seen them in person and they look like a well constructed shifter. You can't go wrong... there is no "crappy" shifter for these cars.

CR
Old 6/7/07, 10:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking at the billet shifter when it went on "hold" and had to get the current Hurst Competition shifter. I am glad to see that B&M is picking this product back up and producing it. When it finally hits the streets, I'll probably look at it and with luck I'll find a car with one and I can see what it's like. Just like I've "tested" a car that has the current MGW shifter.

Not that I don't like the current Competition shifter, the notchyness is too much for me. The next shifter I buy I want to be the last one I buy, I don't have the money to throw at steeda, MGW, Hurst, Pro50 etc... just to find one that suits me.
Old 6/8/07, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

ok I gotta say this. It seems alot of people are quite sensitive about a few bucks either way on the price of a good shifter but they think NOTHING of popping several thousand bucks on a blower.
Does anyone but me see something weird here???
Old 6/8/07, 11:26 PM
Former Vendor

I gotta agree with 281. The difference between a Saleen short shifter adapter and MGW mona lisa shifter seems like pennies when you're statement shows up from Tillman Speed with a Kenne Bell attached to it!

LOL
Old 6/8/07, 11:45 PM
Cobra Member

Brian, go with the MGW. I'm glad I took Bills advice and spent a few more sheckles. The MGW is far superior to the Hurst in my mind. Hurst is a good shifter no doubt but MGW is just so nice, and for like $50, it seemed trivial in my case.

Just another opinion, throw it out if need be lol
Old 7/9/07, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CR, looking forward to your evaluation of the billet shifter. I think I'm gonna hold off on buying a shifter til that one comes out.
Old 7/10/07, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

It's been almost 60 day since I last posted on this thread... so, I'm going to give a up date of my opinion on the MGW (the best shifter on the market). And by the way over 40 years of 'personal opinion' is what has made Hurst the most prolific shifter manufacturer of all time. One satisfied customer telling another potential customer his opinion about the product is better than hours of lab data and testing.

Here's why I'm glad I bought the MGW shifter... since I received and installed my shifter there have been several issues come to light about the MGW shifter..

1. Early in the betta run some of the original 100 customers thought that the 2nd to 3rd shift springs were to strong, requiring a little to much effort when having to shift a lot, as in driving in commuter traffic...

MGW response: Shipped progressive rate springs to any customer that requested the springs and incoorperated the new springs into all shifters manufactured from that point on.

2. Some customers had a problem with the handle mounting block retainer nuts and the end of the bolt rubbing on the leather shifter boot causing damage to the boot. Quick fix was to turn the mounting block upside down placing the nuts to the inside of the console.

MGW response: Changed mounting block counter bore depth and shortened the bolts.

3. The shifter had a tendency to tighten up when using the MGW supplied bushings.. the close tolerance bushings didn't allow for thermal expansion as trans temperature increased resulting in additional effort required to shift. Quick repair was to install the OEM (white) bushings from the stock shifter...

MGW response: Designed new bushings with additional clearance and new material... shipped to all MGW shifter owners.

4. Two customers who adjusted their shifer to the shortest throw have bent the shifter linkage bracket. The linkage bracket is the adjustable bracket that adjusts the throw length, this is a hollow threaded bracket that screws up and down on the center shaft. No problems have been reported at less than 10 turns out on the throw adjustment.

MGW response: Redesigned the linkage bracket with a smaller diameter hole to increase overall bracket strength reduced max adjustment to 10 turns out. All customers issued new linkage bracket.

Also, MGW has developed a new rubber seal to be install under the insulation pad to help prevent water from being able to come in through the shifter opening. All customers are receiving this new piece.

All of these upgrade parts are being provided to all customers at no cost to them.

Believe it or not MGW did produce 100 test unit shifters and because of the information feedback of these customers the new MGW shifter continues to be improved.

My shifter is working like the precision piece of hardware that it is, I have not had any issue with it at all...

You show me another product manufacturer who gives this kind of customer service with their product and I'll jump on their band wagon too. You might read this entire thread, it tells the whole MGW story... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=63085

Oh by the way... I had my Steeda shifter in for almost 2 years, I made three flat shifter handles for the shifter. I wanted to get one of the Hurst shifter boot adapters that hold the leather boot top to the shifter handle. These adapters come with the Comp Plus shifters. I contacted Hurst/Mr. Gasket four or five times requesting information on how I could buy one of the adapters.... I'm still waiting for a response... Nuff Said..

Bobby M.
Old 7/10/07, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MooStang05gt
It's been almost 60 day since I last posted on this thread... so, I'm going to give a up date of my opinion on the MGW (the best shifter on the market). And by the way over 40 years of 'personal opinion' is what has made Hurst the most prolific shifter manufacturer of all time. One satisfied customer telling another potential customer his opinion about the product is better than hours of lab data and testing.

Here's why I'm glad I bought the MGW shifter... since I received and installed my shifter there have been several issues come to light about the MGW shifter..

1. Early in the betta run some of the original 100 customers thought that the 2nd to 3rd shift springs were to strong, requiring a little to much effort when having to shift a lot, as in driving in commuter traffic...

MGW response: Shipped progressive rate springs to any customer that requested the springs and incoorperated the new springs into all shifters manufactured from that point on.

2. Some customers had a problem with the handle mounting block retainer nuts and the end of the bolt rubbing on the leather shifter boot causing damage to the boot. Quick fix was to turn the mounting block upside down placing the nuts to the inside of the console.

MGW response: Changed mounting block counter bore depth and shortened the bolts.

3. The shifter had a tendency to tighten up when using the MGW supplied bushings.. the close tolerance bushings didn't allow for thermal expansion as trans temperature increased resulting in additional effort required to shift. Quick repair was to install the OEM (white) bushings from the stock shifter...

MGW response: Designed new bushings with additional clearance and new material... shipped to all MGW shifter owners.

4. Two customers who adjusted their shifer to the shortest throw have bent the shifter linkage bracket. The linkage bracket is the adjustable bracket that adjusts the throw length, this is a hollow threaded bracket that screws up and down on the center shaft. No problems have been reported at less than 10 turns out on the throw adjustment.

MGW response: Redesigned the linkage bracket with a smaller diameter hole to increase overall bracket strength reduced max adjustment to 10 turns out. All customers issued new linkage bracket.

Also, MGW has developed a new rubber seal to be install under the insulation pad to help prevent water from being able to come in through the shifter opening. All customers are receiving this new piece.

All of these upgrade parts are being provided to all customers at no cost to them.

Believe it or not MGW did produce 100 test unit shifters and because of the information feedback of these customers the new MGW shifter continues to be improved.

My shifter is working like the precision piece of hardware that it is, I have not had any issue with it at all...

You show me another product manufacturer who gives this kind of customer service with their product and I'll jump on their band wagon too. You might read this entire thread, it tells the whole MGW story... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=63085

Oh by the way... I had my Steeda shifter in for almost 2 years, I made three flat shifter handles for the shifter. I wanted to get one of the Hurst shifter boot adapters that hold the leather boot top to the shifter handle. These adapters come with the Comp Plus shifters. I contacted Hurst/Mr. Gasket four or five times requesting information on how I could buy one of the adapters.... I'm still waiting for a response... Nuff Said..

Bobby M.
Amen Bobby!

Another happy MGW customer here, customer service doesn't get any better, like I said best in class. World Class Customer Service
Old 7/10/07, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
Is there absolute proof this is the best shifter avail, or is this purely speculation and "advertising" at its best. I am a little confused on how you determine it is the best shifter avail?. I guess it would be the best if you just look at the price tag for it. Also, No the Hurst billet unit is not avail yet but should be in about 60 days
....and we're only 4 days away from the reveal...or is it out already??
Old 8/5/07, 02:41 PM
Cobra Member

Still waiting. When will it be available and what will be the specs on it.
Old 8/5/07, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
Still waiting. When will it be available and what will be the specs on it.
Don't bother waiting, if you are serious about buying one. You could be enjoying an MGW by now!
Old 8/5/07, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
Don't bother waiting, if you are serious about buying one. You could be enjoying an MGW by now!
I don't want a MGW. If they could retrofit a Hurst handle then I would get one. I want the retro look and short throws of the Hurst.
Old 8/5/07, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
I don't want a MGW. If they could retrofit a Hurst handle then I would get one. I want the retro look and short throws of the Hurst.
You can run ANY handle you want. Just call George and tell him the thread size of the handle you want and he'll hook you up. You could do a Hurst ball-type or a T-grip. I wouldn't be suprized if they could accomodate a pistol grip.

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Shifter