GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Billet Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/07, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurst Billet Shifter

I see that the new Hurst Billet Shifter is suppose to be availiable, has anyone tried or is going to try it. I would like some info before I change from my Pro 5.0. I want it for the 40% short throw and the chrome handle.
Old 5/13/07, 01:23 PM

I haven't seen any of these out as of yet. The have been on the web site for quite some time. Are they actually producing these now?
Old 5/13/07, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DavidM
I haven't seen any of these out as of yet. The have been on the web site for quite some time. Are they actually producing these now?
This website used to say they would be available by May 9th, now they have took it off. So I assume they are available.

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=11696
Old 5/13/07, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
I see that the new Hurst Billet Shifter is suppose to be availiable, has anyone tried or is going to try it. I would like some info before I change from my Pro 5.0. I want it for the 40% short throw and the chrome handle.
You must not have read the threads on the MGW shifter on this forum... there is no other shifter for the new S-197 mustang.. it is absolutely the best there is... adjustable throw from 15% to 50% shorter than the OEM shifter... adjustable handle location and height... Dynamat sound/heat insulation for bare sheetmetal, layered insulation pad for inside the console. Precision manufactured (Aircraft quality material and workmanship) on all the pieces.

What more could you want...

Bobby M.
Old 5/14/07, 05:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
+1 on the MGW ...
Old 5/14/07, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MooStang05gt
You must not have read the threads on the MGW shifter on this forum... there is no other shifter for the new S-197 mustang.. it is absolutely the best there is... adjustable throw from 15% to 50% shorter than the OEM shifter... adjustable handle location and height... Dynamat sound/heat insulation for bare sheetmetal, layered insulation pad for inside the console. Precision manufactured (Aircraft quality material and workmanship) on all the pieces.

Bobby M.
I have read them but they havent been out long enough to know if they are that great or not, I do like them but the cost is a little high, I may try one but I would have to sell my Pro 5.0 first.
Old 5/14/07, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

I have read them but they havent been out long enough to know if they are that great or not, I do like them but the cost is a little high, I may try one but I would have to sell my Pro 5.0 first.
Know what you mean... I have to sell my Steeda Tri-ax now...

Bobby M.
Old 5/14/07, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MooStang05gt

Bobby M.
Is there absolute proof this is the best shifter avail, or is this purely speculation and "advertising" at its best. I am a little confused on how you determine it is the best shifter avail?. I guess it would be the best if you just look at the price tag for it. Also, No the Hurst billet unit is not avail yet but should be in about 60 days
Old 5/14/07, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
Is there absolute proof this is the best shifter avail, or is this purely speculation and "advertising" at its best. I am a little confused on how you determine it is the best shifter avail?. I guess it would be the best if you just look at the price tag for it. Also, No the Hurst billet unit is not avail yet but should be in about 60 days
Are the shifters going to be spring loaded for the 2nd to 3rd shift. This is the one I am going to wait for just because of the Chrome handle and short throw but being spring loaded would be a BIG plus.
Old 5/14/07, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

No the Hurst billet unit is not avail yet but should be in about 60 days
I had one on order / backorder at Jegs for a year....they kept moving the date back as to when it would be available....don't hold your breath that it'll be available in 60 days....

hags1
Old 5/14/07, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I have expressed My Personal Opinion on the Beta MGW Short Throw Shifter.... mine is one of the first 100 units released to the public for R&D feedback to MGW.

This shifter is only going to get better... to me it is already the best on the market. The build quality is second to none in material and manufacture.

Have I used all of the other Short Throw Shifters on the market?? No. I haven't.... but, I don't believe that is necessary to form an opinion. Any after market shifter is better than the OEM shifter. It is difficult to seperate the performance quality of the most popular brands of these shifters. Most of the time it comes down to a personal preference to chose one over the other.

I will be glad to sell you or anyone else my slightly used Steeda Tri-ax at avery reasonable ($200 shipped anywhere in 48 states) for the Tri-ax, hurst 2 1/4" white ball, and three custom made shifter handles that I made.. My Steeda was an excellent shifter and I was happy with it's performance.. But, I wanted the MGW and glad I made the purchase... Steeda is good... MGW is the BEST..!!!

This is my personal opinion, I don't receive anything for what I am expressing here in this forum....

Bobby M.
Old 5/14/07, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

Oh ok.. So its opinion only and not based on factual info. Fair enough. I can also assure those who are looking for the Hurst Billet Plus unit that the shifter is NOW being built and the first one will go in my car for evaluation purposes. 60 days should be a good timeframe when they will be avail. Mr Gasket put a hold on this shifter when the sale of Hurst was going through to B&M
Old 5/14/07, 02:22 PM
eci
Banned

Are the shifters going to be spring loaded for the 2nd to 3rd shift. This is the one I am going to wait for just because of the Chrome handle and short throw but being spring loaded would be a BIG plus.
MGW is spring loaded.
Old 5/14/07, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I take it you must be a representative of Hurst or Mr. Gasket and you're pushing your product... Are you the only R&D that Hurst is going to use to evaluate the Billet Plus... Are you an engineer or a professional driver by any chance..??

Note that I said, "I'm one of a hundred customers on the Beta run of MGW shifters out for R&D." If you have been following the MGW threads you will know that there has been little or no negative feedback on this new shifter... and anything that has been brought up has been corrected immediately by MGW. A hundred opinions is better than ONE... that's what I call good R&D.

It is my personal opinion based on facts... get a life there guy... I am driving the MGW shifter in my ride..

I have enough experience in my 40 plus year working life in the manufacturing of aircraft engine parts and weapons systems that I believe I can tell a high quality mechanical assembly when I see one..

High performance cars of one type or another have been a part of my life since I was 16 years old. A number of different Hurst and Steeda shifters have been in my cars over the years. So, I am somewhat familiar with the products.

No doubt the new Hurst Billet Plus will be a good shifter and that's fine with me... You get what you pay for with most products and that's why I believe the BEST Buy in short throw shifters for the new mustangs is the MGW.

Maybe you should buy one of MGW's shifters to use as a comparison with the new Billet Plus... make your own decision.

Bobby M.
Old 5/14/07, 03:24 PM
V6 Member

OK,OK subzero you found us out, GEORGE has a 100 employees that work for mgw and all have 05+ mustangs and live througout the world, NOT!!!!!

You think a 100 of us got together and said "lets waste our 300.00 so that MGW can make money" come on dude, really....I had all of the shifters except the steeda, and they all have different issues,,,,MGW has none....well to be honest, just the linkage bushings that was stiff and that was already corrected. If you have been a loyal fan of HURST I think you should come to your senses and purchase the MGW, you will not regrete it....
Old 5/14/07, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Actually yes i am a representative for B&M and Hurst. I have posted on these forums hundreds of times and I'm sure you already know that. Also you will see i did in no way push my product, only posed the question how you reached a "factual" comment that the MGW shifter is the best there is?. I am sure you know alot about that product and I am not bashing your "opinion' but it is just that, an 'opinion" and not an absolute fact. of course I could say the Hurst shifters are the best there are, but that would merely be my opinion. No company I am aware of does "hundreds" of beta testers. Considering the size of MGW compared to say us or some other large manufacturers out there, it is highly unlikely they have hundreds of testers using the products. I have no doubt their product is a great one as are all of their products, but to claim their product is the best available seems a little mis-guided. Either way, if they have 100 out in the field as "test" units rather than a production run that's great. If they consider 100 units to be test ones then that's a good business practice.
Old 5/14/07, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

you should buy one and compare it to others, then come on here and give your opinion......I mean, for you to ask is it marketing at it's best really shows where your mind is in terms of advertisement for B&M/HURST......don't get me wrong, hurst is a good product, but I think your getting worried about not being able to sell the hurst billet shifter and want to put doubt in peoples minds......
Old 5/14/07, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

You guys read me wrong. I am not saying the product is not good and ours is better yada yada yada. Personally, i don't care one way or the other. We will sell plenty of the hurst billet shifters here in the states and worldwide like the other Hurst ones. i was just taken back by the comment made that the MGW is the best shifter there is. I am quite confident we will get one in to look at it and if it in indeed better than so be it. You guys know how supportive of this forum i have been over the last couple years and you are taking my questions out of context thinking I am being deragatory...not the case at all. But on the other side of the coin; I could easily say the Hurst shifters for the 05-07 Mustang are the best there is if you simply look at volume of units sold. Shelby, Roush, Ford etc. don't buy MGW, they buy Hurst. I don't necessarily believe we are or are not the best, but I have never claimed to be either. My point was simply this: Unless somebody has all the shifters in front of them for our cars, puts them through durability tests, verifies materials used etc. there is no way to validate the statements made.
Old 5/21/07, 07:16 AM
eci
Banned

MGW makes the best shifters period for all of the Mustang transmissions. I just replaced my Hurst Comp Plus on my T5 to the MGW...night and day difference in quality and feel.
Old 5/21/07, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys read me wrong. I am not saying the product is not good and ours is better yada yada yada. Personally, i don't care one way or the other. We will sell plenty of the hurst billet shifters here in the states and worldwide like the other Hurst ones. i was just taken back by the comment made that the MGW is the best shifter there is. I am quite confident we will get one in to look at it and if it in indeed better than so be it. You guys know how supportive of this forum i have been over the last couple years and you are taking my questions out of context thinking I am being deragatory...not the case at all. But on the other side of the coin; I could easily say the Hurst shifters for the 05-07 Mustang are the best there is if you simply look at volume of units sold. Shelby, Roush, Ford etc. don't buy MGW, they buy Hurst. I don't necessarily believe we are or are not the best, but I have never claimed to be either. My point was simply this: Unless somebody has all the shifters in front of them for our cars, puts them through durability tests, verifies materials used etc. there is no way to validate the statements made.
OK...opinion is not scientific fact. But general concensus is the MGW is significantly better than anything else available on the market. It is kinda hard to compare it to your shifter, since the billet model still hasn't hit production. But I've driven both a Hurst (competition) equipped car and a MGW and I now own an MGW.
And if volume = quality than McDonalds is the best restaurant on the planet!

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Shifter