GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst or B&M shifter

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/06, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pjdami,

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] Wow... Bolt heads on the passengers side of the chrome stick would indicate (to me at least) that the shifter is installed correctly?!? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] That is if the design has remained the same.... I would suspect it has remained the same... I do not see a revision No. on the Hurst provided instructions????....

As far as vibrations "BUZZs" are/is concerned - none... but, I've only had it in for two days now.... Just for a frame of reference, I have a B&M quick stick in my '89 5.0... It had a "BUZZ" issue in 5th gear until I intstalled the gasket and used some blue Loctite... Be advised, too much torque on the 13mm linkage shaft bolt will compress the bushings making for a "stiffer/solid" mechanical connection between the linkage and shifter mechanism... Basically creating what is known as a "sound short"...

One more possibility, when the chrome stick was installed, was it installed w/the serrated (bottom 1/3 of chrome stick and top of shifter nub) sides of the pieces towards (touching) one another?... Is the chrome shifter on the passenger's side (right of shifter nub)?? If the chrome shifter is not bolted up serration to serration w/the nub, this would definietly cause a buzz problem?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

kk//kef
Old 2/28/06, 07:19 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freyke @ February 28, 2006, 8:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I do not see a revision No. on the Hurst provided instructions????....

[/b][/quote]

Yes the original instructions were dated 5/05 whereas the new instructions are dated 12/05. The comment that Hurst made that it doesn't matter where the offset goes is bugging me. First they change the instructions for some reason and the offset had to be engineered in for some reason.

Honestly, I have no issues with the Hurst besides the slight buzzing. It shifts really good (especially after I replaced the rear bushing with the stock rubber one). I didn't overtighten the 13 mm nut; in fact the nut is flush with the bolt end (no threads showing); this is why I went with the red loctite. I do feel a 1/16 inch "wiggle" though when in gear and that is not from loose bolts on the chrome stick to nub connection. I've been wanting to tighten down on the 13 mm nut to see if that gets rid of the wiggle and perhaps the last of the buzz vibration noise. Perhaps turning this thing around (the offset) will help. Looks like I've got some more work to do.
Old 2/28/06, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

pjdami,

Hmmm, I see... Sometimes too loose can be as bad as too tight... That 16th of freeplay may be too much freeplay and allowing things to vibrate.... In my case I tightened down the 13mm nut to about 20-30ftlbs (just seat of the pants).. that would be "snug" to most folks, then I backed it off a quarter turn (two flats), and there I let it stay.... Since you're going to go "under" you might as well swap the offset....

Good Luck,

kk//kef
Old 2/28/06, 08:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freyke @ February 28, 2006, 7:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
pjdami,

I'd say it is likely; in-fact true, that the "long side" of the offset goes towards the driver's side.... This is not a big deal if you went with the factory style (OEM look) stick; it’s a one bolt caper... Just remove the 13mm bolt connecting the linkage and rotate it (the shifter stick) 180 degrees - Reinsert the linkage rod into the bushing and re-attach the 13mm bolt.....

uofh2005,

I'd say your problem is correlated to the fact that your installer may have followed the earlier version of the Hurst provided instructions... This moved the stick position over more to the left (driver's side) more than the design intended... This will be easy to diagnose... lift up the shifter boot - if the bolt heads that connect the chrome handle to the stck shaft are on the left (diver's side) then the unit is installed backwards (offset to the passenger's side) this likely explains the wear???... The fix should be fairly easy.... See my reply to pjdami above.... good luck...
kk//kef
[/b][/quote]

Hey Freyke,

Thanks for the response, pretty sure i understand your explaination, but since I'm a visual learner and want to be clear, I took a pic. So should the shifter handle be on the right side too? or just the bolts? Thanks for the help. [attachmentid=46114]
Old 3/1/06, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

pjdami,

Yup, yours looks backwards... The shifter handle should be on the right (passenger's side)... that explains the boot wear.... Your handle looks differnt too? or is it just the photo ???
Old 3/1/06, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Whys my handle look different?
Old 3/1/06, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

your's does not appear to be all chrome and rounder...

Old 3/2/06, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

his looks like the stock one....
Old 3/3/06, 07:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mines the FRPP/Hurst one with the stock shifter ****, not the chrome stick ball one. Should the handle still be different...what i'm saying is did the shop that installed it screw me over by just using my stock handle and not a new one that came with the new shifter?
Old 3/3/06, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

uofh2005,

Below is an illustration that shows how the assembly should go together inside the car... Looks like they used the stock style handle on yours (reuses the stock ****)... Also I found some illustrations/pics from FRPP that basically shows that the FRPP and HURST are the same... It looks to me like your installer, installed the pooer backwards (w/linkage offset to passenger's side)... The only way to be sure is to get under the car and have a look-see..... What is for sure, is the fact that your shift handle is on the wrong side...

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">HURST PN 391 0201</div>

<div align="center">2005-06 MUSTANG GT PERFORMANCE SHORT THROW SHIFTER
M-7210-T</div>

<div align="center">05 MUST SHIFTER W ****
M-7210-T1
</div>
Old 3/3/06, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

uofh2005,

The reason I suspect that your shifter is installed backwards is that if you take a close look at the picture of the 05 MUST SHIFTER W **** M-7210-T1 (above) and closely inspect the bottom of the chrome stick you'll see that it is a serrated surface on one side (mating surface) covering the bottom 1/3... This serration (if I recall correctly) is also present on the nub of the shifter assembly... Well, these two serrated mating surfaces are ment to face each other... Therefore, logically if your handle/stick is bolted together in this fashion, then the only other reason for your bolt heads on the driver's side is the fact that the linkage offset is backwards....

I hope this makes sense....

kk//kef
Old 3/3/06, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freyke @ March 3, 2006, 10:46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It looks to me like your installer, installed the <u><span style="color:#FF0000">pooer</span></u> backwards [/b][/quote]

LOL [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] If you misspell "shifter" and leave the "f" out, the language filters get you. bwahahaha
Old 3/3/06, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

doah!...

that's funny, I don't care who tou are.....
Old 3/4/06, 04:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Haha that is funny, thanks alot for your help.
Nate