GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How to adjust shift point

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/06, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far i have a JLT2 and Xcal on my 06gt auto. When i leave the car in D, my my et is always 3/10 slower than when i shift it my myself, an thats not always consistent. So i want the car to shift around 6300 rpm, now when i go to adjust the shift points on the xcal its not by rpm its by MPH, do i have to figure out the mph the car shifts at in each gear, and then find the mph i want it to shift at by looking at rpm's and raise it by the difference? Thanks alot
Old 1/19/06, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my X2 from Doug, I had him set my WOT shift points at 6250rpm. If you don't have a tuner who will provide you with a revised xtr file, then yes, I believe you'll need to convert to mph and adjust it that way. What a PITA.
Old 1/20/06, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah i have brenspeed and he doesnt sent xtr files, sucks. I played around with it today, and even max them at at +7 and it didnt even change a thing. Looks like ill be calling brent up
Old 1/20/06, 04:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I had my Predator I tried to adjust the shift points also. I moved them all up by 5 mph. I also could not tell any difference from stock. I now have Lidio's from AA XCAL2 tuner with his program and he adjusts the shifts points upward slightly. I can now tell the difference.
Old 1/20/06, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

How are you guys having trouble? There is an option for increasing or decreasing the shift point based on RPM. Changing the MPH doesnt do a single thing.

My WOT shifts are @ 6400 (set by DTP) but I could back it down to whatever, user selectable max is 6200 in the Diablo.

-Dan
Old 1/21/06, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@January 20, 2006, 9:07 PM
How are you guys having trouble? There is an option for increasing or decreasing the shift point based on RPM. Changing the MPH doesnt do a single thing.

My WOT shifts are @ 6400 (set by DTP) but I could back it down to whatever, user selectable max is 6200 in the Diablo.

-Dan

Well Dan, I sold my Pedator U7140 tuner back in Nov. and bought the SCT XCAL2 from Lidio @ Alernate Automotive. When I had the Predator I tried to adjust the rpm that my auto shifted at and the Predator adjusted by MPH not RPM in the user adjustable parameters. See link http://www.diablosport.com/U7140.php See adjustable parameters in #7. It says RPM shift points-ADJUSTABLE VIA MPH. As I remember it only allowed you to raise shift points for the automatic by a max. of 7 MPH not RPM. I tried to do this with mine by 5 MPH and personal I couldn't tell any difference from stock. I was only using the Diablo canned tune for the C&L intake not anyones custom tune.
As far as my SCT XCAL2 goes I have not checked into how it adjusts or if I can do it on my own or if Lidio has it locked out.
Maybe you can adjust yours because of your custom tune from DTP??
Scott
Old 1/21/06, 11:11 AM

I used a Predator for a while too, and somewhere along the way, there was a firmware revision that allowed RPM adjustments and not just MPH adjustments. I was able to tweak mine as needed by rpm and it worked fine. But, like Dan said, the max allowable was 6200 rpm with the Pred. That's why I had Doug set mine to 6250 when I switched to the X2. I haven't seen a need to change those yet.
Old 1/21/06, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
I used a Predator for a while too, and somewhere along the way, there was a firmware revision that allowed RPM adjustments and not just MPH adjustments. I was able to tweak mine as needed by rpm and it worked fine. But, like Dan said, the max allowable was 6200 rpm with the Pred. That's why I had Doug set mine to 6250 when I switched to the X2. I haven't seen a need to change those yet.

Hummm! At the time I was running R17 on my Predator. If a later rev. changed the adjustment to RPM instead of MPH I didn't know that. Also, if what you say is true than Diablo needs to undate their website. It still says adjustable via MPH. Do you know how the SCT XCAL2 adjusts?? The directions that came with my XCAL2 su*&S. I have to give Diablo credit for one thing their instruction booklet was top notch! Can't say that about my XCAL2.

Scott
Old 1/21/06, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Wondering here..... When the shifts are made,.... and they are above the torque curve when they hit.... I think the car would be slower accelerating than if it stayed in the torque power band when hitting the next gear... I think rather than making all the shift points that they shift at I would hit the shift they land at. I am thinking shift at 5500 and hit the sweet spot on the torque 4500 rpm. Then the car would pull more I think.

How many rpm's are between gears in the auto?
Is max torque at 4750?
When does the torque fall off?
Is it a flat curve or spiked?

Your thoughts?
Old 1/21/06, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER+January 21, 2006, 10:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ January 21, 2006, 10:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hummm! At the time I was running R17 on my Predator. If a later rev. changed the adjustment to RPM instead of MPH I didn't know that. Also, if what you say is true than Diablo needs to undate their website. It still says adustable via MPH. Do you know how the SCT XCAL2 adjusts?? The directions that came with my XCAL2 su*&S. I have to give Diablo credit for one thing their instruction booklet was top notch! Can't say that about my XCAL2.

Scott
[/b]

I agree about the Predator being more user-friendly than the X2. I've been saying that for a long time. And I don't recall which revision it was (r22 for the U7140 maybe? )

<!--QuoteBegin-GIG4FUN
@January 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
Wondering here..... When the shifts are made,.... and they are above the torque curve when they hit.... I think the car would be slower accelerating than if it stayed in the torque power band when hitting the next gear... I think rather than making all the shift points that they shift at I would hit the shift they land at. I am thinking shift at 5500 and hit the sweet spot on the torque 4500 rpm. Then the car would pull more I think.

How many rpm's are between gears in the auto?
Is max torque at 4750?
When does the torque fall off?
Is it a flat curve or spiked?

Your thoughts?
[/quote]

When my shift points were lower, the car seem much more sluggish just after the upshift. I think it was coming below the power band, and then had to get back up there. With the shift points set higher, it was in the power band after the upshift, so it pulled harder.
Old 1/21/06, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep,

I was quite dissapointed to find out that my Xcal2 does not allow me to change anything....

It has version 1.3 firmware in it and that versions does not allow you to do anything unless the dealer specifically programs it to have that feature... And you deler has to be using the V 3.0 or higher of their tuning software...

So, I cannot fix the shift problem myself .

It is very close to false advertising from SCT if you ask me....
Old 1/21/06, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by sranger@January 21, 2006, 2:18 PM
Yep,

I was quite dissapointed to find out that my Xcal2 does not allow me to change anything....

It has version 1.3 firmware in it and that versions does not allow you to do anything unless the dealer specifically programs it to have that feature... And you deler has to be using the V 3.0 or higher of their tuning software...

So, I cannot fix the shift problem myself .

It is very close to false advertising from SCT if you ask me....

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: That doesn't make me very happy.
Old 1/21/06, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

If i get the xtr file, can i then open it in extreme tune and it should work right?
Old 1/21/06, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

only if your tuner makes an xtr file for you, i've tried to do mine and it's not accessable to me. only my tuner. some tuners will give you an xtr file so that you can adjust things yourself, the xcal2 does do the shift points by mph also. that part sucks. it is false advertising on the part of SCT. i was under the impression that i could change lots of functions.i can't.
Old 1/22/06, 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@January 22, 2006, 12:24 PM
If you have issues with your X-Cal 2 why don't you go to the SCT forums and ask your questions there.

If you load a .xtr file into the X-Cal 2 you lose all the user adjustable functions in the handheld. SCT is now useing a .LL3 Live Link 3 file to load into the handheld tuner that keeps the user adjustability in the handheld. You can contact your SCT dealer that tuned your car for a converted tune from .xtr to .LL3 If he won't do the conversion SCT will. Check out their forum.

George,
I have the XCAL2 from Lidio @ Alternate Automotive. So are you saying that a special tune like Lidio's would lock me out of the user adjustalbe parameters? I am just trying to understand. My unit is the way Lidio sent it to me. So Lidio or SCT would have to load in the new file to give me back the adjustable parameters?
Scott
Old 1/22/06, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@January 22, 2006, 12:52 PM
Some tuners, Lidio. JDM, and others won't send you a tune file. They do this to protect their tunes. They don't want other tuners to copy their work. If you want user adjustable parameters you'll have to talk to Lidio about that.

George,
I did talk to Lidio a couple of weeks ago about turning off the TC and that is when he told me that it didn't work and SCT was having issues with the adjustable parameters in the XCAL2 unit. Wonder what the truth really is???
Scott