GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How about making the GT Appearance Package hood scoop functional?

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/06, 09:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about making the GT Appearance Package hood scoop functional?

I've read a lot of complaints about the "fake" hood scoop that comes with the 07 GTAP. Personally I love the scoop and special ordered my car with that option to get it. I think the scoop is just the right size and shape. BUT... it would be icing on the cake if it were functional! It doesn't seem like a conversion kit would be too tough to put together. It should include:

- Template for cutting hole in hood
- Replacement grille for hood scoop, similar to stock honeycomb pattern but hollow cells instead of solid
- Fiberglass or ABS "collector" that mounts to the bottom of the hood under the scoop
- Plastic tube routing from collector over to stock airbox or CAI (similar to the CDC shaker tube)

The only challenge I see is coming up with a way of separating the parts when the hood is raised. The "collector" should mount to the bottom of the hood, maybe the ducting would too. It would need to seal against the airbox in such a way that when the hood is raised it separates and when it is lowered it joins back together. Perhaps an L-shaped adaptor could be mounted to the side of the airbox that transitions the inlet from the side to the top, then the ducting could seal against this opening when the hood is closed. Having the collector and ducting mounted to the hood would keep the engine appearance clean too. Actually this isn't a lot different than how some 70's era ramair setups were, many had ducting attached to the hood. Throw a big RAM AIR decal on the hood collector for good measure Or even some for the sides of the scoop!

This setup could also be used with any CAI that has a protective shield too, the inlet would be mounted to the shield versus mounting it to the side of the airbox. As long as the CAI shield seals against the hood well, the scoop should still function OK.

As more 07's hit the streets and more of these hood scoops are out there, hopefully a market base for a product like this will develop. I would love to see a company out there pick this idea up and run with it.

Thoughts?
Old 8/14/06, 09:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go for it and let us know how it turns out!
Old 8/14/06, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

I would love to, but I am an overworked architect and do not have the time to undertake a project like this. Thus my last sentence in there that says: "I would love to see a company out there pick this idea up and run with it."
Old 8/24/06, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I did it on my friends stock v 6 hood it is simple and easy takes a couple of hours . you want pics let me know
Old 8/29/06, 10:39 AM

Post the pics
Old 8/31/06, 03:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Bump....I'm intrested...
Old 8/31/06, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

you coudl always jsut cut a holw under it so that it helps the engine cool more instead of cold/ram air functional
Old 9/1/06, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

I was checking out the GMS intake, it would actually be a lot easier to make the factory hood scoop functional by tying into the back of the GMS pan, basically the collector could just extend straight forward. Too bad the intake is so pricey.
Attached Images