GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

help with internals

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/12, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with internals

i am trying to decide on a supercharger set up for my 08 mustang. the car itself is in like new shape. it is a 5spd and has 6700 original miles on all original parts. i spoke with the folks that would be installing it for me and they said they have done plenty of stock mustangs with 500rwhp and have had no problems so far. I have done a lot of searching and most sites seem to say that stock internals will handle 450hp.

my question is: is that 450 hp at the rear wheels or at the crank? and if it is 450rwhp then what is the most the internals will handle at the crank?

i just get confused when people start throwing out a lot of numbers. if i understand correctly, most companies advertise what their S/C make at the crank. if there is usually a 20% loss between the crank and the rear wheels then a S/C that makes 550hp at the crank will be about 440hp at the rear wheels.

i have a few other questions but i want to see what information this one reveals to me before i go throwing out any more.

Thank you all in advance for your time.
Old 3/3/12, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I think most aftermarket places state RWHP and I would say 450 to 475 RWHP would be about all I would go on stock internals. Let us know where your located maybe we can suggest a shop for you to call. What shop are you talking to??
Old 3/22/12, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

Just got off the phone today with jdm engineering out of new jersey. They pretty much specialize in mustang and they told me that 480 490 rwhp is about the limit you want to push with stock internals . Which is still alot of power !!! But I'm in the same boat as you are I wanted a procharger but they informed me that the roush super charger would be better . for insall, dyno , s/c and the whole nine yards would run me about 8500.. Idk what I am going to do. For that kind of money I would rather put a hellion turbo in my stang
Old 3/23/12, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've posted on a lot of these types of threads. And I guess I'll post again

The 400, 450, 500 or whatever number that a vendor throws out is a guess. Educated guess... in some cases... but still a guess.

The truth is your engine was designed to handle 300 hp at the crank from the factory, and anything outside of that number is unknown.

Hell a stock Mustang can have motor issues. So here are the questions you need to ask yourself.

1. Are you ok with the possibility of your motor blowing and being out of warranty?

2. What are your goals with the car?

A lot of guys want that magic 500 rwhp number but they have NO IDEA what that entails.

If you are making 500 rwhp on a stock motor IMHO you're extremely lucky that it hasn't blown yet. And for those that CLAIM they are making that... ask them to show you a dyno sheet. Because what people claim and what is reality is often a VERY different number.

At that power level you will also need an upgraded clutch. Your stock clutch might last a couple days at most (mine lasted two days)

Your valvetrain is also not designed for high boost applications and also has a good possibility of failure... ask me how I know.

So if you answered question one and don't mind if your motor blows and you just HAVE to have the 500 rwhp then go for it and have fun, and if/when it blows buy a new motor.

If you just want a little more power out of your street car and don't plan to track it and race it etc. Then 400 RWHP is probably where you want to be.

But even then you have to know that it is possible to blow your motor... since it's possible to blow a stock motor all things considered.

A lot of vendors will tell you that "xxx" is "safe" but unless they are going to offer a warranty on your motor I'd take it with a grain of salt.

P.S.
I drove my '06 with a Saleen blower running 7-8 lbs of boost (around 400 rwhp) and loved the car and had fun every time I drove it. But I just HAD to have more power so I upped the boost to 11 lbs and all hell broke loose and my car was no longer fun to drive because half the time it was being repaired.

Last edited by Imatk; 3/23/12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 4/26/12, 06:51 PM

idk i'm kinda freaked out about throwing a SC on but i know i will, i figuer as long as its tuned right not go over to much boost and the A/F ratio is good and you can see it on a gauage then hopefully i'll be alright, but i want to take the engine out and put forged internals but who know only time will tell, i make good money for a very young kid so lets have some fun and hope for the best hahaha, if it blows btw i'll just buy a wreaked navagator and jack the 5.4 L motor and drop it in the stang.