GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Gutted stock h pipe vs O/R h pipe

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/07, 07:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gutted stock h pipe vs O/R h pipe

What's the difference? I am looking for a new h-pipe and want to go with an off road pipe. But, I had a bassani x and had trouble with the flanges lining up correct and causing a horrible rattle, and I don't want to weld it on. So, I have done some searching today and just haven't found an answer. What would the difference/advantages/disadvantages be to gutting the stock cats on the h-pipe compared to getting a new o/r h-pipe like pypes?
For anyone who has the pypes h pipe and has it bolted on and not welded, do you experience any rattles or it getting loose?
Would there be much of sound difference compared to an o/r H if I just gutted the stock one? thanks for any help
Old 7/10/07, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been wondering when someone was going to ask about this subject. I had my stock h pipe gutted and ran that for awhile with my FRPP stingers. It sounded ok but to be honest didn't really sound louder to me only a little deeper. But then I decided to go with the pypes offroad H and I can't believe the sound difference. The pypes H wakes the exhaust up. I guess the straight through design makes the pypes H louder and deeper. I would say if you want alittle deeper then gut the cats but if you want louder and deeper then go pypes H pipe.
Old 7/10/07, 08:41 PM

Ive got the pypes o/r h pipe bolted on mine. Dont have any rattles or it getting loose. Only thing ive noticed is a very small leak where the flanges are from the bolts bottoming out causing it too not get a good seal, or so some say on here. Havent had time to mess with it.
Old 7/10/07, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Just chop off the cats and add weld in some straight pipe in their place. Cheaper than purchasing a brand new H Pipe.
Old 7/12/07, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by STANG_IT
Just chop off the cats and add weld in some straight pipe in their place. Cheaper than purchasing a brand new H Pipe.
Old 7/12/07, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got a good reason for not hacking up your stock h-pipe with cats attached. How about $1200 dollars. I am running an offroad Mac Prochamber and I hacked up my stock H and their is "NO" going back. Just buy yourself a Pypes Offroad H-pipe for like 175 bucks and save the stocker. I have no idea what your emmision laws are in Nebraska but I will give you $225.00 shipped to my door for your stock H-pipe to help you out. Or better yet maybe Tom281 will let me drive to Decatar Ind. and pick his up for free. I'm just teasin. I'll buy yours if you are interested.
Scott
Old 7/12/07, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went with the Pypes o/r H. I didn't want to mess with the stock one and they can easily be swapped for emissions or whatever.

Oh...and it's too loud to notice any vibrations, lol.
Old 7/12/07, 07:08 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I got a good reason for not hacking up your stock h-pipe with cats attached. How about $1200 dollars. I am running an offroad Mac Prochamber and I hacked up my stock H and their is "NO" going back. Just buy yourself a Pypes Offroad H-pipe for like 175 bucks and save the stocker. I have no idea what your emmision laws are in Nebraska but I will give you $225.00 shipped to my door for your stock H-pipe to help you out. Or better yet maybe Tom281 will let me drive to Decatar Ind. and pick his up for free. I'm just teasin. I'll buy yours if you are interested.
Scott
Scott, I don't quite understand why you hacked you're stock H-pipe for ? unless I'm mistaken, don't you have the Mac off-road Prochamber, that bolts directly to the stock manifolds ? or did you purchase the O/R version, without the off road legs that require cutting the stock H-pipe ? Guess I'm just a bit confused
Old 7/12/07, 09:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Scott

Yeah, after I found out how much an stock H pipe was, I kind of scraped the idea of gutting mine. I would like to keep it for that reason of going back to stock. I will probably get the pypes o/r h and just weld on the flanges to the pipe so I don't get vibrations.. I was reading that worked pretty good in another thread. Also they don't check in NE for cats if anyone was wondering. Thanks for all the responses!
Old 7/12/07, 09:42 PM
GT Member

I chopped mine right off!!!

I first started out with stock and they got old. The went to SLP LM's and they weren't enough so I dropped the cats on the stock H and whooooaaa it was insanely loud!! Sounded great at the track! Now I'm back to my stock mufflers with stock gutted H and well...I hate it. I'm now going to try to find some FRPP Axlebacks or something. Any one want some used SLP's? They're up for sale or trade....

- Justin