GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

GT suspension and ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/05, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i've had a good 2 week break from driving my car. One thing I noticed today was how bouncy the ride seems to be at times. I have been wanting to lower it with Eibach Pro kit and possibly more.

I'm thinking of going all out maybe for the full Saleen suspension kit which retails 900. Anyone have true and tested ways of dramatically improving the GT ride quality? Not only for handling but for general smoothness?

I also have questions about the stance. I feel the rear is raised too high. When you guys lowered it did you keep the same proportions? I'd imagine lowering the back further would give a better overall muscle car look...you know large sloping hood projecting from a small rear. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Old 12/24/05, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Nick85@December 24, 2005, 6:16 AM
Well i've had a good 2 week break from driving my car. One thing I noticed today was how bouncy the ride seems to be at times. I have been wanting to lower it with Eibach Pro kit and possibly more.

I'm thinking of going all out maybe for the full Saleen suspension kit which retails 900. Anyone have true and tested ways of dramatically improving the GT ride quality? Not only for handling but for general smoothness?

I also have questions about the stance. I feel the rear is raised too high. When you guys lowered it did you keep the same proportions? I'd imagine lowering the back further would give a better overall muscle car look...you know large sloping hood projecting from a small rear. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
If you want smoothness stay with what you have. Everything else is a rougher ride. Lower it with Steeda spring kit and it will hug the road better and not cost you $900. Bouncy ride?? Mine is not with stock shocks. If you were looking for a Town Car ride that is what you should have purchased. You can't have your cake and eat it too!!
Old 12/24/05, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

The Saleen kit is a full-setup. I don't know if it's just my car or not. It seems bouncier now after it came out of the shop for bumper repair. See the car spun out driving over ice in severe snow storm and basically went offroading for 100 feet at 40 mph. Shook the car severely, not much damage but again a severe shake. Could this have caused issues making a bouncier ride?

It could of been the roads I was on...D.C. isn't exactly smooth. I will test her out again today.
Old 12/24/05, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow this site really blows when it comes to tech.
Old 12/24/05, 05:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Nick85@December 24, 2005, 5:53 PM
Take your car in to get it checked out, that's all that anyone is going to tell you. You could have bent a rim, bent a suspension part, knocked the alignment off, and/or could have an un-balanced wheel(s).
Old 12/24/05, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Should I get the full Saleen kit? I hear it lowers it 1.3 inches. Does anyone have it that can give me any feedback?
Old 12/24/05, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Nick85@December 24, 2005, 3:53 PM
I beg to differ but if you dont think so you can take yourself elsewhere...

-Dan
Old 12/24/05, 09:04 PM
GT Member

I have the full Saleen suspension kit installed right now. It doesn't really lower it 1.3 inches. From what I can tell, the original lowering height of the stock springs is 1", so Saleen saying their kit drops it to 1.75"(which I believe is what they claim) means that their kit only drops the car another .75". Of course I could be wrong, but installing the kit did not lower my car by more than an inch. The springs haven't had time to set yet, however, so it may drop more, but nowhere near 1.75".

I can tell you that the car drives much nicer with the Saleen kit on, and handles curves remarkebly better. I didn't have very much time to road test it before it went into the body shop for some additional modifications, but what I did experience was well worth the money to me.
Old 12/25/05, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Most of the harshness comes from the shock valving. Lowering springs are stiffer, because there is less travel then to do thier work. The rear shock valving I feel is a bit over the top. When you hit those short choppy bumps the rear end really likes to dance.

If you do some search on the forums you will find a couple thousand opinions on lowering and suspencion work, including mine.

The best of most affordable shocks for what you get is the Tokico. Not cheap, but you get a tunable shock ... something Saleen nor Roush are offering. Koni I have always liked but last I checked they have still fallen behind in getting a product out for the new Mustang. Bilstein though not adjustable are a great shock, but they too, last I checked, have missed the gun.

If you decide to lower, you will have to make some more decisions about what to do ablout the panhard bar / rear axle alignment, front end alignment (or mod's to accomplish). Lowering also adversly affects rear axle trailing link geometry. There are other considerations that impact the front geometry as a result of lowering. All can be corrected if you want to get it right. Its only money.
Old 12/26/05, 05:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Nick85@December 24, 2005, 6:53 PM
your not going to hear the exact answer you want............everone has a diffrent opinon..sorry to tell you it`s just a fact....

as far as your comment goes if you don`t like it hear go elsewhere.....
Old 12/26/05, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nick85@December 24, 2005, 5:53 PM
Maybe people didn't reply because 1) it is Christmas many of us are spending time with family/friends instead of surfing the web; or 2) THIS HAS ONLY BEEN ADRESSED IN ABOUT 15,237 different threads!