GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Coil Packs, any real dyno proof

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/09, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by classix_stang289
the thing is, i did call them in the past and nothing was resolved so i gave up.

in the past there was a throttle body you guys were selling wayyyy before this 62mm modified gt500 design one you have. it had no directions in it, i called for directions as far as setting the spring and again no luck with that cause i drove the car with your instructions from one of your guys and then more problems. the butterflies fell off and luckily didnt get sucked into the manifold, the throttle body didnt bolt up to the manifold flush like the peice was warped causing a nice vacuum leak.when i drove the car a few times it went into like a throttle safe mode.

i think there was something else i bought in the past that i had no luck with, im trying to remember what it was.

the throttle body thing i remember so much cause it gave me so many problems and cost me a decent little chunck of change before it finally gave way.

im not trying to bash anyone or there products so hopefully i dont come off this way but i just havent had any luck with products from granatelli.
We sold 5000 billet t bodys before going to the GT500 design. While some had idle questions and I realize there was a few issues - many of these problems came from dealers like Muscle Motors and RPM Outlet that said the parts were Granatelli but actually were not. It took us month befire we figured out that dealers were using our name to sell fake parts. Anyone that shipped in a real Granatelli t-body rec a replacement.

I can say with 100% certainty if you had a t-body that drop the blades off the shaft - then you did not have a real Granatelli - Our blade were a swedge fit with dual screws per blade and then the threads were crushed on the end to make sure they could not back out.
Old 1/2/09, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor

i dont mean to bash, im just simply letting him know of the issues i have had. i dont mean to offend and i dont want to cause hard feelings between anyone. i do have plans to buy from him in the near future, i guess im just venting. im trying not to come off as a jerk and i am very sorry if i did.
I just want happy customers - Happy New Year
Old 1/2/09, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

well thank you for clearing this up about the throttle body,i had a idle issue that was a pain in the butt, i did not know that i could of had a non granatelli part. my future purchases im sure will be a great experience
and i thank you.

happy new year to you 2
Old 1/2/09, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

believe me, i was realllllllll scared when those butterflies fell off the shaft, car was doing all sorts of funky things. lol
Old 1/2/09, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

whats your email address, i want to ask you a few question about another item i have but i dont want to get off topic for all the peepz talking about the coil packs.
Old 1/3/09, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor

whats your email address, i want to ask you a few question about another item i have but i dont want to get off topic for all the peepz talking about the coil packs.
You can PM me here or, jrgranatelli@granatellimotorsports.com or 805-486-6644 ext 11
Old 1/3/09, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
You can PM me here or, jrgranatelli@granatellimotorsports.com or 805-486-6644 ext 11
ok buddy thanks, i just sent you an email with some questions.
Old 1/4/09, 01:15 AM
Former Vendor

got it and replied - we do not sell to either of those companies but I can see why you would have trouble
Old 1/4/09, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
got it and replied - we do not sell to either of those companies but I can see why you would have trouble

yea, and its my first product i ordered from them and might be the last. but i also replied to yours.
Old 1/4/09, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor

back at ya
Old 5/20/10, 06:02 PM

RE: Granatelli

Are you still offering the coil packs at $250? Have 2 forum members responded yet? I know this is an old thread, but I still haven't seen any forum members post a dyno.

I've been meaning to get my car dyno'd anyways, so I figured I'd make a good guinea pig.

If you sell them to me for $250, I'll post before and after dyno runs, as well as a review of your product, and I think that will resolve all the uncertainty.

Please let me know.. thanks!
Steve
Old 5/20/10, 06:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
RE: Granatelli

Are you still offering the coil packs at $250? Have 2 forum members responded yet? I know this is an old thread, but I still haven't seen any forum members post a dyno.

I've been meaning to get my car dyno'd anyways, so I figured I'd make a good guinea pig.

If you sell them to me for $250, I'll post before and after dyno runs, as well as a review of your product, and I think that will resolve all the uncertainty.

Please let me know.. thanks!
Steve
What ever you want I am happy to help
Old 5/20/10, 07:34 PM
GT Member

JR,

Do new coils (hot Street) have the new "ropes" or is that an upgrade?

I am really interested in these coils too.

Thanx
Old 5/20/10, 07:46 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Casey4s
JR,

Do new coils (hot Street) have the new "ropes" or is that an upgrade?

I am really interested in these coils too.

Thanx
I miss spoke - Hot Street do not come with ropes - they have the springs - Pro Series have teh ropes included - we can sell you Hot Street coils and then ad ropes for 79.00 extra

Last edited by Granatelli; 5/20/10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 5/20/10, 08:37 PM
FR500 Member

Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead...

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
One other thing to keep in mind is that a spark is a REALLY crappy way to light a fire! The best spark in the world (think lightening bolt) won't light a mixture if it is too lean or too rich. An open flame works WAY better at lighting off the mix.

Several years ago, I read about an experiment at some university in Australia. They were experimenting with a true plasma ignition system. Basically, they used a tiny prechamber and ignited a very, very rich mixture of fresh air and hydrogen gas. That caused a jet of burning hydrogen plasma to be shot into the main combustion chamber. That burning plasma would light pretty much anything.

They were able to actually throttle the engine on gasoline just like a diesel engine: No throttle body, just adjust the amount of fuel injected to determine power output. It could light mixtures leaner than 28:1. And it ran VERY smooth with incredibly complete combustion. I'm not sure what happened to the technology, but if I had to guess, I would say emissions (mainly oxides of nitrogen) probably killed it.
This sounds quite similar to Honda's CVCC system that they used in the 70's to meet emissions requirements without the need for a catalytic converter. Instead of using hydrogen as the primary source of ignition, the carburetor(!) has a separate venturi with much richer jetting, and the mixture was fed into a pre-chamber next to the spark plug. Very advanced technology decades ahead of its time.

The CVCC engine was listed as one of Ward's 10 best engines of the 20th century.

Last edited by PTRocks; 5/20/10 at 08:40 PM.
Old 5/21/10, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Been running GMS coils since 2006. No dyno comparo but my car idles better and runs smoother with the GMS cops. This is on a big headed, mild cammed 326" pump gas NA motor. Used to run them with my Saleen SC on my 298 as well. I think JR has further revised/improved his cops since mine were made. Just my personal experience.
Old 5/21/10, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 5/25/10, 08:42 AM

My second set of GMS COPS has had some failures. I pulled these off and put on the OEM coils.
The GMS coils work great - WHEN they work, but I have had so many fail I am goving up on them.
Old 5/26/10, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by uberPony
My second set of GMS COPS has had some failures. I pulled these off and put on the OEM coils.
The GMS coils work great - WHEN they work, but I have had so many fail I am goving up on them.
Could you get them replaced under warranty?
Old 5/26/10, 03:08 PM

JR has already replaced the whole set last year. Not sure how long he would warranty them.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Coil Packs, any real dyno proof