GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Getting ready to install coolant and power steering reservoirs

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/12, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready to install coolant and power steering reservoirs

I finally got my supposedly FRPP (etched on Canton) coolant reservoir and Canton power steering fluid reservoir back from the powder coater.

I also got him to powder coat my Moroso fuse box and brake cylinder covers at the same time.

I was wondering does anyone have or know of any good DIY write ups for installing these reservoirs? I have looked on the net/forums but have found minimal information.

I was also wondering does anyone know what is the best way to remove the hoses that attach to the reservoirs? Is there a tool that is needed or do you just lift or squeeze the clamp that attaches the hose?

Here is a picture of everything after the black powder coating. I am very happy with how everything looks!
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to install coolant and power steering reservoirs-wp_000379.jpg   Getting ready to install coolant and power steering reservoirs-wp_000381.jpg  
Old 7/22/12, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

When I swapped my tanks, I just tried to remove as much fluid as possible before removing the hoses. Think I used a "borrowed" baister from the kitchen after dumping as much as I could into a small container.

For the clamps, I picked up a spring clamp tool from Sears that really helped with the coolant lines. But was less effective on the smaller PS clamps, so I just used some standard pliers to remove them.

I found another little trick when reinstalling my Moroso fuse box cover after getting it painted as I did not want to scratch it. Pull the OEM fuse box cover off and install it in the Moroso cover. Then loosen both ECM mounting bolts and slip both covers into place on the fuse box. After which you can retighten the ECM bolts.

After refilling the PS tank, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple times to help purge the air out of the lines. Then top off as needed. Don't overfill it otherwise you can get some leaking out the vent.

Last edited by Doogie; 7/22/12 at 09:03 PM.
Old 7/23/12, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
When I swapped my tanks, I just tried to remove as much fluid as possible before removing the hoses. Think I used a "borrowed" baister from the kitchen after dumping as much as I could into a small container.

For the clamps, I picked up a spring clamp tool from Sears that really helped with the coolant lines. But was less effective on the smaller PS clamps, so I just used some standard pliers to remove them.

I found another little trick when reinstalling my Moroso fuse box cover after getting it painted as I did not want to scratch it. Pull the OEM fuse box cover off and install it in the Moroso cover. Then loosen both ECM mounting bolts and slip both covers into place on the fuse box. After which you can retighten the ECM bolts.

After refilling the PS tank, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple times to help purge the air out of the lines. Then top off as needed. Don't overfill it otherwise you can get some leaking out the vent.
Thanks for the tips! Can the hose clamps be re-used? After looking over the clamps, I guess one can take the pliers and squeeze the flat parts on the clamp and it will open and release?

Does anyone know what is the best way to check the levels in the reservoir since the new reservoirs are not clear? I am afraid I may overfill or not add enough.

I will try the Moroso trick and the turkey baster
Old 7/26/12, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Make sure to post some pictures after you get them installed. I have the same parts and I am thinking of getting powder coated black also. I have a black and blue theme going with the car, so I think they would look great PC black, but I have only seen one picture of it done and it wasn't very clear.