2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Circulation of coolant???

Old 7/30/15, 07:33 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Circulation of coolant???

I emptied my coolant reservoir and added the 50/50 Ford product. How long would you say it takes to circulate through the entire system where it is thoroughly mixed with the existing coolant?? Is it just a short 10 miles drive or does it perhaps take 100 or more miles to thoroughly mix?
Old 8/1/15, 07:32 AM

I thought someone would know by now. How about any educated guesses? I just drove 60 miles yesterday and it looks exactly the same this morning. It's clean (not off-color) anyway so I can't tell. That's why I'm asking.
Old 8/1/15, 08:20 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I have no idea how long it would take. You just emptied the reservoir? When I did the SC install this week, I drained my reservoir since it was getting replaced. I drained it via the radiator drain.
Old 8/1/15, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I'm sure it is not miles but heat cycles that will determine how long it takes empty the bottle. I'm not sure anyone has the answer. Maybe because no one cares. Not sure why or how long it takes, makes a difference in anything, as long as it is functioning properly. Why are you concerned about it? What exactly are you worried about?
Old 8/1/15, 08:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
I'm sure it is not miles but heat cycles that will determine how long it takes empty the bottle. I'm not sure anyone has the answer. Maybe because no one cares. Not sure why or how long it takes, makes a difference in anything, as long as it is functioning properly. Why are you concerned about it? What exactly are you worried about?
Probably true....even though is is pressurized, I don;t think it actually has coolant flowing through it like the rest of the system.
Old 8/1/15, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Probably true....even though is is pressurized, I don;t think it actually has coolant flowing through it like the rest of the system.
A degas bottle keeps a cushion of air to keep from blowing out the system when the heat pressurized it. It de-aerates the coolant of gas when it's formed and also takes in any excess coolant. When the system cools again it sucks back in the coolant keeping the system full. Basically it is a glorified overflow tank but a little more. So yeah, coolant doesn't flow through it constantly. It just kinda takes some in and let's some out at certain times.

So depending on how hot and how many times it gets hot, will determine how much and when coolant is exchanged from the bottle.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 8/1/15 at 08:54 PM.
Old 8/2/15, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
A degas bottle keeps a cushion of air to keep from blowing out the system when the heat pressurized it. It de-aerates the coolant of gas when it's formed and also takes in any excess coolant. When the system cools again it sucks back in the coolant keeping the system full. Basically it is a glorified overflow tank but a little more. So yeah, coolant doesn't flow through it constantly. It just kinda takes some in and let's some out at certain times.

So depending on how hot and how many times it gets hot, will determine how much and when coolant is exchanged from the bottle.
Thank you! This post helps out. With the car driven so infrequently I'll wait a bit and see if the color changes much in the future. That's all I needed to know.
Old 8/2/15, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Thank you! This post helps out. With the car driven so infrequently I'll wait a bit and see if the color changes much in the future. That's all I needed to know.
Do you not expect it to change? Over time, as it gets contaminated, it will change color. Maybe not a whole lot, but it will. Mine changes pretty good but I run mostly water with Water Wetter so it isn't as brightly colored as a 50/50 mix.