GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Gas prices really shot up today!

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/05, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1.99 here in Michigan today

Luckily, with the part on order for the gas tank TSB, I can't put much in the tank anyway, which keeps the cost down and the miles low

According to cnn.com, gas prices are supposed to rise about 25 cents per gallon over the next few weeks... here's the link:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/04/news/econo...rices/index.htm
Old 3/5/05, 01:30 AM
GT Member

=/ Gas taxes stink
Old 3/5/05, 02:11 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by slavehand@March 4, 2005, 11:23 AM
Great thing I live in GA 'cause gas here is $1.83 for regular. Anybody whant to chime in from CA? What's the damage out there?
don get me started, $2.10 is the lowest its been in months!

right now, i think its in the $2.25-$2.30 range or above for regular unleaded. it sorta depends on the day/time

$1.75 looks soooo good right now
Old 3/5/05, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank your local politicos future9er24. California has such specific requirements for gas that it has to be custom made for your state. That pushes the price up quickly.

One thing no one has talked about is the refinery problem. The crude price is only one factor in the current price of gas. The fact that we (we being the USA) have not built any new refineries in the last 20 years has a LOT to do wit h it too. We consume MUCH more gas then we did 20 years ago, but we are refining it in LESS refineries than we had 20 years ago (some of the older refineries have been closed).

They have expanded and uped the production capacity of the existing refineries, but they can't meet demand anymore. Which drives the prices up, which drives the demand down until they CAN meet demand.

Why haven't these nasty oil companies built more refineries if they need them? Take a wild guess: law suites and environmental regulations. Anyone that doesn't think all the EXCESS environmental regs and lottery like tort system doesn't have costs, take a REAL close look at the total on the gas pump the next time you fill up. That money is coming out of YOUR pocket. Feel free to blame the oil companies if you want, but there is a lot more going on that just the tired old line of "corporate greed".
Old 3/5/05, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

RRRoamer,
Again, I'm a conservative and a free market guy. I agree with everything you just mentioned. My only problem with these gas companys is the follow. And this happens all the time. All the time. Here's the example:

January 1st $1.80
January 2nd $2.00
January 3rd $1.99
January 4th $1.97
Jarnuary 5th $1.95
January 6th $1.94
January 7th $1.92
January 8th $1.90
January 9th $1.89
January 10th $1.88
January 11th $1.86
January 12th $1.84
January 13th $1.82
January 14th $1.80
After two weaks of a slow, steady drop:
January 15th $2.00
and then the two week slow decline again.

Why can it drop so slowly, but rise .20 overnight. Every two weeks the exact same thing starts to happen over again. I don't belive the futures dictate this repetitive, constant trend. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 3/5/05, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Route 66@March 5, 2005, 11:43 AM
RRRoamer,
Again, I'm a conservative and a free market guy. I agree with everything you just mentioned. My only problem with these gas companys is the follow. And this happens all the time. All the time. Here's the example:
Why can it drop so slowly, but rise .20 overnight. Every two weeks the exact same thing starts to happen over again. I don't belive the futures dictate this repetitive, constant trend. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gas isn't the only product in which this happens. For instance, news of a bad coffee or orange crop will drive retail prices up immediately. Those sudden price jumps rarely make front page news like jumps in the price of gas.
Old 3/5/05, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

$3.40, Nassau, Bahamas. Need I say more.
Old 3/6/05, 05:54 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by KUcurt@March 4, 2005, 3:21 PM
Sorry about the political statement. I know it doesn't belong here - we're here because we love our 'Stangs! By the way 200mphcobra - how many degrees do you have? I have 2 from the University of Kansas...
Two also. From Delgado and the University of New Orleans. Machinist Technology from the first, and Mechanical Engineering from the second. And blaming George Bush for the price of gas is like blaming the Easter Bunny for bringing you the wrong Christmas present. Get a grip.
Old 3/7/05, 06:08 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Alabama Gas Prices

Cool little link.

Gas rose .13 overnight last week.
Old 3/9/05, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Roswell, GA

2/11 - 1.639
2/14 - 1.759
2/22 - 1.799
3/3 - 1.899
3/7 - 1.959

Gas up 32 cents in less than a month.
Old 3/9/05, 08:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by KUcurt@March 4, 2005, 3:21 PM
Sorry about the political statement. I know it doesn't belong here - we're here because we love our 'Stangs! By the way 200mphcobra - how many degrees do you have? I have 2 from the University of Kansas...
Unless one of those is in political science or you work for the petroleum industry, how does that help you argue the relationship of the president and gas prices?
Old 3/9/05, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

No, they are not - they are in marketing and graphic communications. What I do feel is that we've P.O'd all of the Middle Eastern countries who have control of the oil. Some of those same countries deserve our retribution for their involvement in sponsored terrorism. I only think of who is in charge at a particular time, I wasn't for Bush, nor was I a Clinton supporter. The current foreign policy doesn't appear to be making any friends, that is for sure. I'm not a liberal, but I sure don't just blindly agree with whomever the president is at the time. If the president goes bashing into Middle Eastern countries, justified or not, seems to me they aren't going to like us much. One way to get back at us and those who support us, could involve striking back at us economically. What makes us go economically? Oil and gas. I may be picking on the wrong guy, but who do you turn to for making decisions that benefit Americans? He may not be able to control oil prices, or outsourcing of American jobs to China and India, or wildly out-of-control immigration policies, but isn't he the guy we point to for leadership?
Old 3/9/05, 09:30 AM

It could be worse, it costs $4-5 a gallon in some places including Europe. If you want cheap gas, move to Venezuela where it's somthing like $0.14 a gallon.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/glo...ices/price.html
Old 3/9/05, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

Holderca, I found an interesting link this morning. maybe the problem is just plain, old, unadulterated corporate profit taking...

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/co...es/001541.html
Old 3/9/05, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

here are some interesting numbers:

ExxonMobil's profit in 2004 was $25.33 Billion
BP's profit in 2004 was $15.73 Billion
ChevronTexaco's profit in 2004 was $13.3 Billion

Iran and Venezuela hate us, and laugh at how much oil prices are rising. Bush has been trying to do good with Russia since they sit on a huge oil reserve, but lack the ability to drill for it. The OPEC countries are just sitting there watching the world's economy to see how high they can push prices before it collapses. They learned their lesson before, and oil went crashing down to $8 a barrel. They thought $40 was the ceiling, but now they see that the world can sustain a $40 barrel cost. Next up, the $50 barrel. That's where we are now. Another thing that doesn't help, is the US Dollar. Crude is traded in the US Dollar, so as the Euro gains, the price of crude goes up to keep pace with the Euro. OPEC has a meeting coming up to decide if they should ramp up production, which I doubt they will, and when they announce that, I would bet oil jumps ~$2 that day. My final rant, is these idiots on at the NYMEX that speculate about what happens where. If you want to shoot someone, take out one of these guys. Reserves are above 5 year levels, no one has a shortage, yet these idiots continue to think that oil will run out at the end of the day. Some jerk speculates oil might hit $80 a barrel, so the traders panic and drive up the price. A refinery fire in texas, well we better drive up prices for that too. A small fine in texas, messes with the price of oil for the world that is still months away from being delivered? Give me a break. I'm currently in the market for a 99+ VW TDI anything so I can burn grease (50 MPG at a 10 cent/gallon cost ) instead of oil. My 50+ mile commute each day is going to empty my bank account when 87 octane hits $3 a gallon nationwide this summer.
Old 3/9/05, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by FinlayZJ@March 9, 2005, 11:47 AM
here are some interesting numbers:

ExxonMobil's profit in 2004 was $25.33 Billion
BP's profit in 2004 was $15.73 Billion
ChevronTexaco's profit in 2004 was $13.3 Billion

Iran and Venezuela hate us, and laugh at how much oil prices are rising. Bush has been trying to do good with Russia since they sit on a huge oil reserve, but lack the ability to drill for it. The OPEC countries are just sitting there watching the world's economy to see how high they can push prices before it collapses. They learned their lesson before, and oil went crashing down to $8 a barrel. They thought $40 was the ceiling, but now they see that the world can sustain a $40 barrel cost. Next up, the $50 barrel. That's where we are now. Another thing that doesn't help, is the US Dollar. Crude is traded in the US Dollar, so as the Euro gains, the price of crude goes up to keep pace with the Euro. OPEC has a meeting coming up to decide if they should ramp up production, which I doubt they will, and when they announce that, I would bet oil jumps ~$2 that day. My final rant, is these idiots on at the NYMEX that speculate about what happens where. If you want to shoot someone, take out one of these guys. Reserves are above 5 year levels, no one has a shortage, yet these idiots continue to think that oil will run out at the end of the day. Some jerk speculates oil might hit $80 a barrel, so the traders panic and drive up the price. A refinery fire in texas, well we better drive up prices for that too. A small fine in texas, messes with the price of oil for the world that is still months away from being delivered? Give me a break. I'm currently in the market for a 99+ VW TDI anything so I can burn grease (50 MPG at a 10 cent/gallon cost ) instead of oil. My 50+ mile commute each day is going to empty my bank account when 87 octane hits $3 a gallon nationwide this summer.
Well said. Like the evening of September 11th, 2001 where gas prices in the U.S. were hitting $4 a gallon, then they realize that they overreacted and brought the prices back down. I see a funny scenario, American oil companies begin outsourcing to Russia, driving the gas prices back down but Bush gets blamed for outsourcing.
Old 3/9/05, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

was it Bush's fault in the 70's too?

Come on yall, this thread is getting useless. What does it have to do with the mustang?

KUcurt, I'm sure there is a few foreign policy boards that actually care what you have to say on that issue.
Old 3/9/05, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

We'll stick with Mustangs. We are fortunate to live somewhere that we can openly debate about our government, corporations and social issues. I wouldn't be so cranky if I could just get my Mustang GT!!!
Old 3/9/05, 02:01 PM

Hovering around $2 regular, $2.19 premium in the DC area.

As for who's to "blame," well, everybody and nobody in that many people and institutions play a part in whatever the price of oil, gas, anything costs and nobody in the sense that the free market is in and of itself a complex system (in the mathematical sense) that responds in very unpredictable ways to whatever factors are influencing it.

As for U.S. presidents and blame, well, they play a far smaller part than they either acknowledge, portray or wish. And it is little different who's in office. When Slick ***** was in the hot seat, conservatives blamed him for everything short of the heartbreak of psoriasis. Now that the Shrub's up there, well, he and the conservatives shouldn't get their panties all up in a bunch now that the liberals are dishing out the very same sort of blame-game gruel they themselves were serving 4+ years ago.
Old 3/9/05, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
two days ago gas in oxford AL was $1.73 gallon, I filled my car up to day at $1.93 a gallon.