GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP handling kit - need to soften

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/07, 03:41 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP handling kit - need to soften

Guys

fitted an FFRP handling kit to the car about 8 months ago and loved carving with it.

Job has changed and now need to drive the car som distance and the suspension is a little too hard ( I know Mea culpa !!! )

Has anyone else faced this problem and what did you do?

My preliminary list of options are

1. Just put the old shocks back on and leave the rest of the FRPP kit on, hoping this would take off some of the hard ride

2. Go for some tok G specs, but more money.....

3. Try the Steeda shocks, but risk similar problems

Help......
Old 10/15/07, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've heard it's a harhser ride but is it the shocks or the springs?
Old 10/15/07, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've ridden in a car with the FRPP kit and it does have a harsh ride. Do you have more of an issue with high or low frequency bumps. I don't recall the spring rates in the kit, but I think they are progressive rate springs which I hate with a passion. I've learned that shock damping has much affect on ride quality as spring rate. It is very hard for a shock to dampen through varying rates. While I'd say better shocks would probably improve the ride, a spring change is fast and cheap.
Old 10/15/07, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cati
Guys

fitted an FFRP handling kit to the car about 8 months ago and loved carving with it.

Job has changed and now need to drive the car som distance and the suspension is a little too hard ( I know Mea culpa !!! )

Has anyone else faced this problem and what did you do?

My preliminary list of options are

1. Just put the old shocks back on and leave the rest of the FRPP kit on, hoping this would take off some of the hard ride

2. Go for some tok G specs, but more money.....

3. Try the Steeda shocks, but risk similar problems

Help......
I'm running about the same drop as you are! with 1.5'' drop your going to pound the ground, regardless of the dampers you have on! As stated before a milder spring hight and rate change is your cheapest option. I had Roush before I went with GroundForce springs.The Roush or Steeda Hight and spring rate are probable what you want!
Old 10/16/07, 06:20 AM
V6 Member

Guys

thanks for your comments, what drove me to think about dampers was a friend who has just lowered his car with the ford springs. His cars seems to be a little more composed and less harsh than mine.

Has anyone changed just one of these variables ?
Old 10/16/07, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cati
Guys

thanks for your comments, what drove me to think about dampers was a friend who has just lowered his car with the ford springs. His cars seems to be a little more composed and less harsh than mine.

Has anyone changed just one of these variables ?
I'm running the Eibach Prokit and initially used the stock dampers before switching to the Tokicos. VERY noticable improvement in the ride.

Even on a firmer setting, the Tokicos still give a nicer ride than the stock dampers. Adjusting them to a softer setting gives a smoother ride than stock (based on memory of the stock ride feel).

I've ridden in the cars with the full FRPP kit and to me the damper settings just didn't feel right for a street car. For the track they are probably fine, though. Go with the Tokicos and get the best of both worlds. Comfy on the street, but with as much damping as needed for the track.