GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Freeing up horsepower on SC Stang...???

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/08, 03:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freeing up horsepower on SC Stang...???

I have a question that has somewhat perplexed me for a while and was hoping to get some meaningful insight here.

I have a supercharged motor putting down 443rwhp and 435lb/ft with totally STOCK exhaust. I am near or around what many consider the "safe" limit of the stock engine.

IF I perform "better breathing" mods such as headers, x-pipe, cat-backs, etc., I am technically not placing additional strain on the motor, but it is likely that horsepower levels WILL be increased. Is this additional power bad for the motor if it is the result of a more efficient exhaust system, rather than increasing boost? Essentially, I am FREEING UP horsepower, rather than creating it, correct?

I hope this makes sense.
Old 3/27/08, 03:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebel73
I have a question that has somewhat perplexed me for a while and was hoping to get some meaningful insight here.

I have a supercharged motor putting down 443rwhp and 435lb/ft with totally STOCK exhaust. I am near or around what many consider the "safe" limit of the stock engine.

IF I perform "better breathing" mods such as headers, x-pipe, cat-backs, etc., I am technically not placing additional strain on the motor, but it is likely that horsepower levels WILL be increased. Is this additional power bad for the motor if it is the result of a more efficient exhaust system, rather than increasing boost? Essentially, I am FREEING UP horsepower, rather than creating it, correct?

I hope this makes sense.

I will give you my opinion. While I am not supercharged I have done just about every mod possible to free up horsepower while staying N/A. If I were you I would only consider doing longtubes and they are only going to get you maybe 20 horsepower and next would be an aluminum driveshaft. Don't think it will show any power on a dyno but you really can feel the improvement in acceleration.
Scott
Old 3/27/08, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hahahaa that sounds like something I thought about last year. I ended up deciding that horsepower is horsepower- what makes the difference really if a car has 450 rwhp from 10psi, or 150 shot of N2O, or from 8psi with long tubes, cams, etc. etc. etc. HP is HP, and mechanical limits are mechanical limits. Doesn't make sense to say that if two cars both dyno 450rwhp but one has 11psi and and no other mods but the other has 8psi and cams, exhaust, etc. that one car is "safer" than the other (assuming they both have conservative tunes).
Old 3/27/08, 03:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Hahahaa that sounds like something I thought about last year. I ended up deciding that horsepower is horsepower- what makes the difference really if a car has 450 rwhp from 10psi, or 150 shot of N2O, or from 8psi with long tubes, cams, etc. etc. etc. HP is HP, and mechanical limits are mechanical limits. Doesn't make sense to say that if two cars both dyno 450rwhp but one has 11psi and and no other mods but the other has 8psi and cams, exhaust, etc. that one car is "safer" than the other (assuming they both have conservative tunes).
Your points are well taken, Tom. So in essence, what you are saying is that if I want to stay within these "limits" then I need to retain the existing restrictions to better exhaust flow? You make good points but I'm curious if there are any other differing opinions out there.

It may seem overly simplistic, but it just seems to me that letting a motor simply breathe better is not the same as "stuffing" more air into it.
Old 3/27/08, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Your points are well taken, Tom. So in essence, what you are saying is that if I want to stay within these "limits" then I need to retain the existing restrictions to better exhaust flow? You make good points but I'm curious if there are any other differing opinions out there.

It may seem overly simplistic, but it just seems to me that letting a motor simply breathe better is not the same as "stuffing" more air into it.

What Tom is saying is totally true... And if you are running a safe tune with your present setup a free flowing exhaust should help you pick up a few ponies without putting any additional load on the motor. But at your level you need to decide if the expense justifies the end result. Let's say you want Kooks or ARH headers. You are going to spend in the range of $1300- $1500 for a gain of maybe 20-25 hp. Adam at ST Motorsports out on the west coast is putting out over 650rwhp and is still running the stock exhaust logs so what's 20 hp worth to you?
Old 3/27/08, 03:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
What Tom is saying is totally true... And if you are running a safe tune with your present setup a free flowing exhaust should help you pick up a few ponies without putting any additional load on the motor. But at your level you need to decide if the expense justifies the end result. Let's say you want Kooks or ARH headers. You are going to spend in the range of $1300- $1500 for a gain of maybe 20-25 hp. Adam at ST Motorsports out on the west coast is putting out over 650rwhp and is still running the stock exhaust logs so what's 20 hp worth to you?
True, that is not the best return on my investment. BTW, are you talking crank or wheel horsepower?

Yah, I know Adam. He did my install! I'm one of those "West Coasters".

Last edited by Rebel73; 3/27/08 at 03:40 PM.
Old 3/27/08, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's not about stuffing air into the engine or vice versa making it breathe easier, it's about the total output of HP/TQ. This is my opinion atleast.
Old 3/27/08, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

True, that is not the best return on my investment. BTW, are you talking crank or wheel horsepower?

Yah, I know Adam. He did my install! I'm one of those "West Coasters".

RWHP.. And if you pick up 20 or so that will put you in the 460 -470 range. Lots of guys running their without issue it seems. But I think you will get more bang for the buck with an aluminum driveshaft. It would only cost about 1/3 of what the headers would cost and you can feel the improvement from a standing start where the longtubes are only going to help you at the top end.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/27/08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 3/27/08, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you want bang for the buck, just change pullies for ~$75.

Oh wait, can you change pullies on the Whipple?
Old 3/27/08, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tom281
If you want bang for the buck, just change pullies for ~$75.

Oh wait, can you change pullies on the Whipple?
I'm pretty sure you can...
Old 3/27/08, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL Rob that's my point.... just change the pulley if you want more power.

Evidentally they're more than $75 though:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...-shipping.html
Old 3/27/08, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

but long tubes and a new mid pipe add a sweet exhaust
Old 3/27/08, 10:23 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Long tubes! I really want a blower, but I would never do without my long tubes. Blower someday, but for now oh what a beautiful exhaust note!

Long tubes are to be had just for their own sake. And I don't think anyone who has them would ever disagree.