GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

fluid dripping under tranny

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/06, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fluid dripping under tranny

Out to the local track today for the season finale. cool this morning and I figure the air is good for some nice et's. Changed the tires and I notice a pool accumulating under the car - around the transmission. As far as I could tell it was only water, and had no antifreeze in it - no odor, and I dipped a white tissue in it and it stayed white. I couldn't determine the source at the track so I decided to call it a day without a single pass Get home and it is no longer dripping. I'm thinking maybe the A/C condenser got frosty and thawed out... but it was kind of far back on the car for the water to finally make its way to the ground. any thoughts?
Old 9/4/06, 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed this too on several occasions, I think it is just the condenser like you said. I'm not sure why it is so far back and in the middle of the car like that, but hey...if it's just water, no problem right?
Old 9/4/06, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

the 75 mintue drive home was uneventful. I stopped a few times to check fluid levels. All systems go. The first stop there was still dripping. I turned off the A/C and no dripping on the second stop or later. I'll have one more opportunity at a 1/4 later in September, at sea level I hope the weather cooperates.
Old 9/8/06, 11:31 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
That's just condensation from your A/C compressor..Even if you select the defrost setting, it still runs the A/C compressor and the reason why water is dripping from so far back or the middle of the car, is because the overflow hose is routed above the tranny housing, so don't let this bother you..It's normal The dripping will stop, the moment you either turn off your A/C or defrost setting..
Old 9/10/06, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't be the first to freak out about seeing a big puddle under my car. You'd think maybe Ford might have warned about this situation.
Old 9/10/06, 11:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
I can't be the first to freak out about seeing a big puddle under my car. You'd think maybe Ford might have warned about this situation.
if it has no color or odor it isnt a problem, anybody who knows anything about cars should know this. Ford should not have to warn you.

-Dan
Old 9/10/06, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
if it has no color or odor it isnt a problem, anybody who knows anything about cars should know this. Ford should not have to warn you.

-Dan
Maybe we should be pass an exam before buying a car. There'd be an awful lot of bicycles on the road.
Old 9/11/06, 05:06 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Pass an exam ? lmao for what ?? I don't mean to come off as being rude or anything but it's just plain old common knowledge of knowing that all cars are known to produce some water drainage due to condensation, which is another reason why theres an overflow hose.. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if your A/C is running or are running your heater on defrost?? your A/C compressor will continue to run, therefore producing condensation..Once again, this is completely normal especially if the car is just sitting while either the A/C and or defrost setting is on..It's like Cleveland said, if you happen to notice a puddle of water and there is no color and no odor ?...There's no problem and no reason to get all freaked out..