GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmaster Amer. Thunder Problem

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/06, 10:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster Amer. Thunder Problem

Hello everyone!

The top of the left side muffler seems to be hitting the rear most bracket when I go over bumpy/rutted roads and railroad tracks. If I grab the tip and lift gently, it only has to travel a half inch or so before the contact. After staring at the thing for what seemed like a very long time, I thought that if I moved the whole assembly back toward the front of the car a half inch or so, the muffler would clear the bracket. Any ideas as to how I can increase the gap? I went under the car and checked to make sure they were mounted correctly and they are, everything is as tight as it can be too. Not sure why the gap between the left side muffler and the rear most bracket is so close, the is more than enough room in the same spot on the right side.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jon
Old 6/7/06, 10:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you search around the forum I believe some other memeber have had the same or a similar problem and remidied it by loosening the clamps on the H-Pipe and leaving the mufflers loose and moving them around till you get the desired fit then retighening everything.
Old 6/7/06, 10:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
If you search around the forum I believe some other memeber have had the same or a similar problem and remidied it by loosening the clamps on the H-Pipe and leaving the mufflers loose and moving them around till you get the desired fit then retighening everything.
Thanks for the quick reply but I tried that. If I was to adjust it again to get greater clearance the tips wouldn't be centered and the muffler canisters wouldn't be level. Not exactly the desired result 'cuz its gotta look good too.

Jon
Old 6/7/06, 11:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Im not sure what a easy solution might be if that didnt help. Possibly loosen some other parts of the exhaust up. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a good suggestion.
Old 6/8/06, 11:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

disconnect the clamp at the mid-pipe. be sure to disconnect the clamp at the muffler too. turn the exhaust pipe at the mid-pipe to the desired center position and tighten the clamps. you may need a second person to give an eye view to assist you. that should do it
Old 6/8/06, 05:41 PM
V6 Member

ive been there with mine.i tried all the adjustments and just couldnt get it to not hit the support when hitting bumps.so what i did was get a piece of 3 inch metal pipe and bend the muffler down with leverage.sounds kind of ridicilous,i know.but it didnt damage the muffler at all.i was able to get both sides exactly where i wanted them.of course that was the easiest way.you could also take the muffllers off and bend the hanger rods.so that you can adjust the muffler down a bit.but i was tired and aggravated from crawling under the car so many times and adjusting.i decided the hell with it and pried them down away from the fender.worked like a charm.if you dont have access to any big pipe,like at a muffler shop.then bending the rods will help.good luck
Old 6/8/06, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem, but to me the fitment/gap in the bumper looked about right, so lowering it or twisting it would only make it look mis-aligned.

So I had some self stick furniture feet felt pads lying around, I think I got it at at a True Value store awhile ago. Cleaned off the top of the muffler with some rubbing alcohol and stuck it on the top of muffler underneath the bolt. It didn't completely get rid of the sound but at least it doesn't ring like a bell anymore. I could've tried jamming one more piece of felt in there, but then it would be touching rubbing 100% of the time. I figured I'd leave some wiggle room in there.
Old 6/8/06, 10:20 PM
V6 Member

i tried the same thing as buzzy.trust me lowering the muffler about 1/2-3/4 of an inch or so will completely eliminate that problem.it made the exhaust sound so much better once i fixed it.
Old 8/24/06, 11:43 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
Thanks for the quick reply but I tried that. If I was to adjust it again to get greater clearance the tips wouldn't be centered and the muffler canisters wouldn't be level. Not exactly the desired result 'cuz its gotta look good too.

Jon

i had alot of the same problem and just re adjusted it all today....loosen the clamps on the mid pipe soo the over axle pipes r loose....clamp the flows onto the over axle pipes 1st then tighten then get someone to hold the muffler in position while u adjust the midpipe
Old 8/24/06, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you can grab the tip and move the entire muffler....it is not tight.

The clamp might be tight as you can get it, but its more than likely not clamping all the way down on the over the axle pipe. Someone posted on a different thread, and they even had a pic of how they clamped it using the supplied Flowmaster clips. If you check this out, it might solve your issue. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ght=flowmaster

Good Luck!