GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

On the fence

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/06, 09:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a deposit down on a 07 Cobra and own a 05 GT I was thinking about supercharging. The GT is an auto with a Lidio tune as well as other go fast parts.
The Cobra is a six speed manual.
After reading of all the blown up GTs here with SCs I have changed my mind about that mod but I want to go fast and do not like to shift. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
If I blow up the Cobra FMC repairs it free of charge but am on my own with the GT.
The time is about here to fish or cut bait and I am still on the fence.
If the Cobra was an auto I would go in that direction for sure.

"I have aged out of the 'shifting is fun stage" I would rather drink my coffee and play with my honeys leg!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Will the Cobra with LCRs and hook up tires beat a blown 05 GT auto and other go fast parts? Will the first year of production of the Cobras be so problematic that the fun of owning it turns into a very bad dream?
What do you think??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/25/06, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

save and get the gt500, no question

if for no other reason just to have an early one. stock and fast is ALWAYS better than modified and same speed when it comes to reliability, comfort, and collectibility.
Old 2/25/06, 10:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] I wish I had your dilema! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]
Old 2/25/06, 10:58 PM
Cobra Member

Just have your honey drive and you can still play with her leg. Oh wait, never mind. What was I thinking.
Old 2/25/06, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm kind of in the same boat. Either a Saleen supercharger on the 06, or saving for a possible 08 GT500. The supercharger now would be great but with the stock gt engine limitations on safe hp, saving for the GT500 seems to be taking the lead.
Old 2/26/06, 03:36 AM
Bullitt Member

You won't be dissapointed with a blown GT, but I would wait for the Shelby.
Old 2/26/06, 04:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'd get the Shelby, just to say I have a REAL GT 500. You'll have the 5.4, and a warranty, and a block that can take a lot more than 450 hp.

Buy the time you get a GT, build the block, buy a supercharger, you may be out less money than a Shelby, but you still got just a GT.

If you're too lazy and old to shift though, maybe you should get a Cadillac. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/26/06, 05:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Bill,
Hatchman just saved me alot of typing. Get the real thing
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/26/06, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Do you want a couch with wheels or a performance car? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/26/06, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Would it be possible to buy a 5.4 engine in the future?

Maybe after the GT500's hit the street, you could buy one of their engines and put it in your 05 GT.

Just a thought [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/26/06, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wardog 07 @ February 26, 2006, 5:19 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Would it be possible to buy a 5.4 engine in the future?

Maybe after the GT500's hit the street, you could buy one of their engines and put it in your 05 GT.

Just a thought [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
That depends on whether Ford chooses to release it as a crate motor. You'd be better off waiting for an irresponsible Shelby owner to wreck his car so you can ****** up the engine.
Old 2/26/06, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

The week that I got my 05GT is when they announced the Shelby. I saw the pics,etc.. and I almost cancelled my GT. After reading that the price would be 40,000 plus mark up I decided I could build a better car myself and spend the money when and how I wanted. Then you throw in the insurance and well I feel I made the best decision for me.

Now if money is no object at all, then Shelby all the way.
Old 2/26/06, 07:56 AM
GT Member

I am surprised a guy as smart as you asked this...There is ONLY 1 answer. Get the '07 Shelby. Hunker down and realize it NOW !!!!
Old 2/26/06, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Well,

After adding a Saleen to mine, I can say that I would probably have been better off just traiding for the shelby...

However, my car will be about 200lb lighter and have about the same or a little more hp...

I'll be adding 14" brakes which will be superior to the shelby....

I figure that there will be at least a 5K - 10K premium to get one of the 7000 shelby's that they plan on making the first year, so my total cost will be several thousand less than the cost of the shelby ( including a custom set of Boyd Coddingtion Junk Yard dog wheels )

The big advantage for the shelby is that it will hold it's value, while mine is not worth much more than a stock car even with all the performance modifications. As a result, I WOULD NOT add a S/C to a GT unless you are sure you want to keep it for many years....
Old 2/26/06, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My response is... it depends.

Since I fully intend to flog my car at the track (which is why I bought it in the first place), I prefer a modded GT over the Shelby. The Shelby would be more of a collector car, which you would want to keep as stock as possible, IMO. And for a lot less money, my car will probably not be beat at the drag strip by a stock Shelby. And this may sound like heresy, but I don't like the looks of the Shelby as much as the GT. But, that's just my opinion.

Carry on...
Old 2/26/06, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other thing to think about is usability. The GT500 is going to stand out where a "normal" GT w/ a supercharger is more stealth. Wife and I discussed this a lot and moved away from the GT500 because of two reasons: 1. can't buy on x-plan 2. going to be too worried that someone will mess with the car

So, just something else to think about. It appears that enough people have their GTs vandalized as it is, I'd die if I had a GT500 and someone vandalized it because they were jealous of such a sweet ride!
Old 2/26/06, 06:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

OK, don't flame me for saying this but if you have enough money for the Shelby but don't want a standard tranmission just buy a new Corvette with the new 6 speed paddle shift automatic. You can get one for about 5k under sticker around these parts. That would put a base model at around GT500 price range.
Old 2/27/06, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

The Shelby is a sweet car, but I hate shifting gears too, so no matter how much HP the Cobra has or how fast it is, I probably wouldn't buy one with a manual trans. I realize I'm in the minority, but I just wouldn't do it if you don't like shifting.

I also doubt the modded 4.6 supercharged auto GT will beat a mildly modified Cobra (intake, tune, and pulley change), at least on paper. It is hard to ignore the extra CID, stronger internals, 6 speed, etc.

The Cobra is a killer package for the money, if you can get it close to sticker price.

Any new car has a chance of having problems, so you'd be taking a small gamble if you get rid of your GT.
Old 2/27/06, 04:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you honestly don't like shifting then you can either get one of the other aftermarket cars with an auto (Roush/Saleen) or get a supercharger put on at the dealership. I've seen a few that are installing the Roush S/C on GT's and the customer still keeps their warranty.

I'm willing to take the hardship of shifting for now.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

the shifting is not the issue as i see it?

as for now supercharging our cars, is kinda new to everyone. (true the bottom end limits the factor for error)

were all still in the trial and error dept.

things are lookin up tho, saleen is now offering a 550 hp/ 500 ftlbs 4.6 that has a steel crank/rods/forged
pistons and a supercharger that makes its hp on 91 octane pump gas!!!

the parts are comeing that will make big, reliable hp!

good things come to thoes who wait!!!

me included....

jay

Quick Reply: On the fence