GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ever do something right after telling yourself not to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe me, I have thought about drilling, and shuddered every time. Problem is that even if I get the pulley on with a longer bolt I eon't be able to use the stock bolt to secure it. The bolt needs to be torqued and I would hate to try it and have it rip out, or worse have it work then pop out later on because there wasn't the proper amount of threads to hold it.

The old rock and a hard place over here...
Old 2/27/08, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you are only missing a couple threads there is no way I would drill the crank....
Old 2/27/08, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like more than just a few threads, and believe me, I am NOT looking forward to drilling. At this point though, if I can't put the pulley and and can't secure it, it's pretty much toast as it is. So this is a last ditch effort to save myself from having to put out big $$$$$$$ getting the crankshaft replaced.

So...... anyone have any experience with Helicoils they'd care to share? Like since it looks like the amount of threads I will need to replace are more that a single insert, so if I stack them how do I get the little nub thingy removed from both inserts and once they are removed, how do I get them out of that blind hole???
Old 2/27/08, 07:14 PM

You can order helicoils that don't have a tang on them. I had to use them once on a friend's 01 GT after his COP blew out. Its been in there for a year and no problems (prob not the best way to repair it, but he was trying to avoid $500 in labor to have the heads retapped.) Anyways, not sure how well they would work in your application.

Blake
Old 2/27/08, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, if the stock bolt won't grab even after the balancer is on. And assuming a longer bolt is not an option (depends on the depth of the threads vs bolt length) then helicoils are you only option

See how long the threads were originally. If you need 3/4" of thread lets say, you will want to install multiple heli-coils to make that up ( They can be stacked)

They come in different lengths. Try to use the longest coils you can so that when you group them they end up at the right height.

One important thing is that you install the last coil deep enough so that the last thread of the coil engages the threads you tapped into the block so it does not pull out and try to unwind.
Old 2/27/08, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, I had a similar problem with my UDP install. I boogered up the first three threads when pulling the stock pulley off with a rented tool. So I ran a tap in the crank to clean up what I could. I then bought 3 bolts from Ace Hardware. I heated the balancer on the stove in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes. I used some gloves and pretty much ran to the garage with the "hot" balancer. I pushed the balancer on as much as possible. I then used some large washers and the longest bolt to bring the new balancer on slightly. I then used the next lenght to pull the balancer on further. I finally used the last bolt and that was the install bolt, which was slightly longer than stock. The stock bolt doesn't appear to use all the tapped depth of the crank. So a little longer bolt will be a compromise for the missing few threads up front.

To date, 11,247 miles on my UDP with no issue.

Breath, take your time, make sure you get some sleep and then do this methodically. Racing into mods after being up all night worrying will always bite you in the @$s.
Old 2/27/08, 08:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Breath, take your time, make sure you get some sleep and then do this methodically. Racing into mods after being up all night worrying will always bite you in the @$s............Words of wisdom!!....
Old 2/27/08, 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordRacing
If you are only missing a couple threads there is no way I would drill the crank....
I agree. You should take it to a shop at this point, I bel;ieve there is still hope, stop before its too late..
Old 2/28/08, 03:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys, for helping me off the ledge.

I guess it's a combination of worry and seeing her sitting there in peices instead of enjoying spinning the tires...

Just a note, I've been talking about all these things but still never sure and continuing to read all your replies, and I also talked wit Dave over at Brenspeed. He offered another great suggestion, similar to yours Shaun, except instead of using multiple length bolts, getting hold of an all thread bolt that I could make into an install tool with some nuts just like classj suggested. I can't be sure how many threads are messed up in the front, and because for some reason getting botls in the right pitch around here is like mining for gold, I figure a long all thread would cover me. I can mark it up based on the length of the old install bolt and the stock bolt to be sure I don't bottom out.

Gonna order today from boltdepot.com that GTMark suggested earlier. Not sure how long it will take for them to get here, but I'll let you know once I cab get back in there to attempt this...

Again, thanks, it's been a big help having somewhere to go and bounce these ideas around to see which method is best.
Old 2/28/08, 03:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, one other question. I've read that some have boiled the pulley, others baked it in the oven. Is one method easier to work with than the other?

And for all you chefs out there, would someone care to share the family recipie? How long to boil, or if baking, how long and at what temp?
Old 2/28/08, 07:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
OK, one other question. I've read that some have boiled the pulley, others baked it in the oven. Is one method easier to work with than the other?

And for all you chefs out there, would someone care to share the family recipie? How long to boil, or if baking, how long and at what temp?
Man, I didn't have to do any of that boiling and baking! I just buffed the crank and the inside if the pulley a little with some Emery cloth! it went on with minimal effort!...
Old 2/28/08, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool, was worried about getting it out hot to the garage anyway Just ordered my bolts, some emory cloth for buffing and I'm on my way!!!
Old 2/28/08, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Put it in the oven set on low (150) for about 10-15 minutes. you just need to bring up the temp a little bit but you don't want to fry the thing.
The combo of your crank being cold and the UDP being warm will make for an easy install.

Use some pot holders to get it out to the garage.
Old 2/28/08, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent recipie, thanks!!!!