GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dynatech Longtube Headers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/06, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uggghh wat can i do for my car to sound like that?? IVE ALREADY GOT SLP'S !!! lol
Old 1/3/06, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NOLAGT+January 3, 2006, 6:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ January 3, 2006, 6:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>You should keep it just like that
[/b]

Oh man, don't you know I would love too!! But it was way, way, way too loud for a daily driver. Until you hear open long tube headers in person, you can't really grasp how ungodly loud it is.

<!--QuoteBegin-Baginoman2
@January 3, 2006, 9:24 AM
uggghh wat can i do for my car to sound like that?? IVE ALREADY GOT SLP'S !!! lol
[/quote]
First... see my reply above.

Second, re: SLP LMs. After three days of rain here, I finally got a chance to take the car out for a "spirited" drive with the LTs/cats/X-pipe and LMs all hooked up together. Frankly, I'm not completely sold on the sound. Below 3000 rpms, or with normal throttle pressure, the car sounds awesome... a great throaty loud sound of muscle.

But when I get on it a little bit harder... I get some trumpets. I'm assuming it is the LMs in combo with the rest of the system, but I also don't know how the X-pipe is contributing to the sound. I'll need to experience this setup for a few days before I make any final conclusions, but I'm not really loving it right now.
Old 1/3/06, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well that stinks dont it!
Old 1/3/06, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by NOLAGT@January 3, 2006, 1:17 PM
Well that stinks dont it!
Sure does... I had my fingers crossed that the new cats would dampen that effect, but apparently they didn't. I guess I need to come up with Plan B (and Plan C) now...
Old 1/3/06, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about different exhaust...I know you like your LM's but what about the power flo's or the borla/frpp's? They have a little can on them...maybe that will do the trick.
Old 1/3/06, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 3, 2006, 5:10 PM

But when I get on it a little bit harder... I get some trumpets. I'm assuming it is the LMs in combo with the rest of the system, but I also don't know how the X-pipe is contributing to the sound. I'll need to experience this setup for a few days before I make any final conclusions, but I'm not really loving it right now.
From what I have heard from other xpipes is that they make a kind of nasal, BWWAAAHHHH sound, and an h-pipe makes deep, HURRURRURRURRURRURRURRRRRRRRRRRR sound.

Does that make any sense....
Old 1/3/06, 02:41 PM
FR500 Member

Hrmmm, I'll guess I'll find out soon enough if I get the same effect. The only difference between your loudmouth's and my FRPP/Borlas, is some insulation around the muffler, hopefully it'll be enough.
Old 1/3/06, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was going to say something about the X pipe as well...never heard them in person but I have read the same thing about X's...not the greatest for deep growls. Maybe try a H pipe or a different slightly muffed exhaust
Old 1/3/06, 03:30 PM

I need to experiment and try to isolate the cause(s). What I think I will try first, is to remove the LMs, and see what it sounds like with just the open over axle pipe. If it doesn't change much, then I'll know it's related to the X-pipe mostly. If it changes some (or a lot), I may try different axlebacks. Ironically, I originally sold my stock mufflers and bought SLP PowerFlos. Then, when I wanted to go louder, I bought Loudmouths and sold the PowerFlos. ahaha Maybe there is someone out there (without LT headers) who has Powerflos, or Borla/FRPPs, or something else, and is looking to switch to LMs. And, since the X-pipe was designed to fit with the Dynatech system, I'm not real eager to try and swap that out.. but that may be a last resort.
Old 1/3/06, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by atomic_il@January 3, 2006, 5:37 PM
From what I have heard from other xpipes is that they make a kind of nasal, BWWAAAHHHH sound, and an h-pipe makes deep, HURRURRURRURRURRURRURRRRRRRRRRRR sound.

Does that make any sense....
For instance, I heard a 03 cobra accelerate by me earlier today. I had seen him putting on an xpipe and magnaflows on a few months ago, and his freaking COBRA sounded like a darn prop plane! It sounded stupid to me.
Old 1/3/06, 04:56 PM

I might have missed this through the trail but are you using the Dynatech hi flow cats and X pipe?
Old 1/3/06, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

its the X-pipe causing it, not ur LM's
Old 1/3/06, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Duke4@January 3, 2006, 3:59 PM
I might have missed this through the trail but are you using the Dynatech hi flow cats and X pipe?
Yes
Old 1/3/06, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by don_w+January 1, 2006, 3:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ January 1, 2006, 3:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I did notice a loss of low end torque. But that was expected. The car used to shift harder and break the tires loose on the 1-2 shift, and chirp 3rd. These 1-3/4" tubes will be most effective once the blower goes on.
[/b]

Update on the loss of torque. I finally got a chance to go to my favorite quiet road and open it up. With the addition of the cats, X-pipe and the rest of the piping, it appears that there is enough extra back pressure to gain my low end torque back. From a standing start and a WOT run up to 80 mph, I was able to break the tires loose on the 1-2 shift, and chirp 3rd again. That felt good.

Originally posted by don_w@January 1, 2006, 9:33 PM
When I went out this afternoon with the uncorked headers, I did not get a CEL. And that was without the rear two O2 sensors hooked up. This evening, after I installed the cats and X-pipe, I hooked up the other two O2 sensors, and when I drove it, I got a CEL. Since I am taking it to the dealer in the morning to have a tranny leak checked out, I put the stock air intake/filter back on and reflashed to the stock tune. And the CEL went away.

Any thoughts why I would not see it with two O2 sensors disconnected, but see it when they were connected?
As I was making the WOT runs tonight, I got no CEL. When I got the CEL the other night, I had bumped up against the rev limiter when the tires broke loose on the wet road. Maybe that is what triggered it. Anyway, it seems to be OK now. I have asked Doug to turn off the rear O2 sensors anyway.

<!--QuoteBegin-don_w
@January 3, 2006, 2:33 PM
I need to experiment and try to isolate the cause(s). What I think I will try first, is to remove the LMs, and see what it sounds like with just the open over axle pipe. If it doesn't change much, then I'll know it's related to the X-pipe mostly. If it changes some (or a lot), I may try different axlebacks. Ironically, I originally sold my stock mufflers and bought SLP PowerFlos. Then, when I wanted to go louder, I bought Loudmouths and sold the PowerFlos. ahaha Maybe there is someone out there (without LT headers) who has Powerflos, or Borla/FRPPs, or something else, and is looking to switch to LMs. And, since the X-pipe was designed to fit with the Dynatech system, I'm not real eager to try and swap that out.. but that may be a last resort.
[/quote]

I'm thinking about taking my car to an exhaust shop, and having them do surgery on my crossover pipe. I would have them cut out just the "X" portion, and weld me up an "H" instead. It seems like a simple fix... they would only have to remove/replace about 12" of pipe. I need to get some quotes this week for that.
Old 1/4/06, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

so do you thnk my slp's with an o/r h-pipe would sound the way they did on the video of yours don?
Old 1/4/06, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Baginoman2@January 4, 2006, 8:23 AM
so do you thnk my slp's with an o/r h-pipe would sound the way they did on the video of yours don?
Frankly, no. That was a one-time shot... wide open longtube headers (no other exhaust piping hooked up at all). You couldn't drive it on the street like that.
Old 1/4/06, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

yea BUT IT SOUNDS SOOOO SWEET!!!! Hmmm i woonder how the o/r h-pipe would sound with the slp's cause i no brenspedd has a vid. but people r saying thats not giving off the actuall sound...some say to obnoxiously loud...but maybe i like that
Old 1/4/06, 09:47 AM

You know... I should just have a muffler shop weld me up a custom H-pipe with an exhaust cut-out "Y" dump pipe welded in. And then buy a pair of electric cutout gates so I can flip a switch and go to the open header sound whenever I want.
Old 1/4/06, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 4, 2006, 11:50 AM
You know... I should just have a muffler shop weld me up a custom H-pipe with an exhaust cut-out "Y" dump pipe welded in. And then buy a pair of electric cutout gates so I can flip a switch and go to the open header sound whenever I want.
You know thats a good idea. My last car was a 03 acura cl-s and the forum I was on (acura-cl.com) one of the guys did just that. He could be driving along, hit a switch, and get that loud natural sound. He also had a custom turbo and could get more power with it open I believe.

Do it...think of the looks you can get at a red light when you hit the switch
Old 1/4/06, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by NOLAGT@January 4, 2006, 9:01 AM
Do it...think of the looks you can get at a red light when you hit the switch
Haha... and I could be the natural enemy of car alarms all over SoCal.

Quick Reply: Dynatech Longtube Headers Installed