GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dynatech Longtube Headers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/06, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:worship: that's way cool, Don. What, it rained in San Diego?? how well do the Nitto 450's work on wet asphalt?

and out of curiosity, why KB over Saleen, or the future Whipple?
Old 1/1/06, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371+January 1, 2006, 8:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ January 1, 2006, 8:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Don,

The exhaust sounds f**** great!!!!
[/b]

Yea... the uncorked headers were over the top.

<!--QuoteBegin-nonsensez9
@January 1, 2006, 8:30 PM
:worship: that's way cool, Don. What, it rained in San Diego?? how well do the Nitto 450's work on wet asphalt?

and out of curiosity, why KB over Saleen, or the future Whipple?
[/quote]

The Nittos work better in a heavy rain, than a light one that just raises oil and junk on the road surface. I wouldn't recommend taking a right turn, and mashing the loud pedal at the same time. haha

As far as KB, read these two threads. You can almost see the decision process at work.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=41325&hl=

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=41328&hl=
Old 1/1/06, 10:30 PM

One other interesting note...

When I went out this afternoon with the uncorked headers, I did not get a CEL. And that was without the rear two O2 sensors hooked up. This evening, after I installed the cats and X-pipe, I hooked up the other two O2 sensors, and when I drove it, I got a CEL. Since I am taking it to the dealer in the morning to have a tranny leak checked out, I put the stock air intake/filter back on and reflashed to the stock tune. And the CEL went away.

Any thoughts why I would not see it with two O2 sensors disconnected, but see it when they were connected?
Old 1/2/06, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by don_w@January 1, 2006, 3:09 PM
I have better ones on my videocam, but I'm not yet sure how to get them onto my computer (it's a new camera).
OK... I have a little problem. I have a much better video that I'm not sure how to transfer to my computer in a format that I can upload somewhere. I can get it on a DVD using the DVD-burner on my home theater system, but I have no video editing capabilites on either of my PCs. Plus, I'm a techno-tard when it comes to this stuff. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Alternatively, if all else fails, does anyone want to volunteer to take this DVD and figure out how to get it posted for all to see? I can send it to you...

Sorry for being such a noob with this video stuff, but it's just not my forte.
Old 1/2/06, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don,
Those headers are awesome. Don't worry, the KB supercharger will put back all the low end torque you have lost and plenty more. That whole CEL thing is very wierd. Unplugging anything like an O2 sensor will normally make for an instant CEL. :scratch: :scratch:
Scott
Old 1/2/06, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 2, 2006, 12:02 PM
Don,
Those headers are awesome. Don't worry, the KB supercharger will put back all the low end torque you have lost and plenty more. That whole CEL thing is very wierd. Unplugging anything like an O2 sensor will normally make for an instant CEL. :scratch: :scratch:
Scott
I absolutely love the headers! Rain, rain go away, so don_w can go out and play!! hahaha. Hopefully, I'll be able to post an even better "open header" video in the near future, as well as one with the full exhaust system going through the LMs.

So far, the best explanation I have heard re: the O2 issue is that the secondary O2 sensors monitor the catalytic converter efficiency, and probably aren't even read until engine is in closed loop. It could be since the new cats are "high flow" they are not as good as stockers in removing pollutants, and the O2's are calibrated for this. So, with them plugged in, maybe it triggered a CEL because of "dirtier air". Without them plugged in, it didn't read any "dirty" air at all. I dunno for sure... but it kinda makes some sense... doesn't it??? :scratch:
Old 1/2/06, 02:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 2, 2006, 2:46 PM
I absolutely love the headers! Rain, rain go away, so don_w can go out and play!! hahaha. Hopefully, I'll be able to post an even better "open header" video in the near future, as well as one with the full exhaust system going through the LMs.

So far, the best explanation I have heard re: the O2 issue is that the secondary O2 sensors monitor the catalytic converter efficiency, and probably aren't even read until engine is in closed loop. It could be since the new cats are "high flow" they are not as good as stockers in removing pollutants, and the O2's are calibrated for this. So, with them plugged in, maybe it triggered a CEL because of "dirtier air". Without them plugged in, it didn't read any "dirty" air at all. I dunno for sure... but it kinda makes some sense... doesn't it??? :scratch:

Sounds reasonable!!! I would think if something is unplugged that it would throw an instant CEL. But maybe, since it is the rear O2 sensors and if the engine had not warmed enough to go into the closed loop, the computer did not reconize to rear O2 sensors at all. Don, were you videos done when the engine was still cold?? Meaning the engine was not in closed loop yet??
Scott
Old 1/2/06, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 2, 2006, 1:42 PM
Sounds reasonable!!! I would think if something is unplugged that it would throw an istant CEL. But maybe, since it is the rear O2 sensors and if the engine had not warmed enought to go into the closed loop, the computer did not go into the closed loop yet and did not look at the rear O2 sensors. Don, were you videos done when the engine was still cold?? Meaning the engine was not in closed loop yet??
Scott
I drove it for a while (a couple miles) to get it up to temperature before we did the WOT runs. So, no... it was not cold.
Old 1/2/06, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Very strange!! I am sure someone smarter than me can explain it. How close is the SC'er??
Old 1/2/06, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 2, 2006, 2:49 PM
How close is the SC'er??
So close I can taste it... hehe. Still working with my dealer/tuner to finalize everything. I'd like to have it all installed and tuned this month.
Old 1/2/06, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Don what kind of power will that KB SC yeild using the recommended tune?
Old 1/2/06, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

You should be able to run with the rear 02 sensors unplugged. Most performance tunes shut them off anyway. I have Longtube JBA's and Doug's tunes. I run with the rear 02's unplugged with no problems(2000+ miles). One word of advice, I found after the header install that I was running lean(I installed a Wideband). Around 14.5 at wideopen throttle. Doug was able to adjust it for me. If you need to, mention my name ( Bret Van Fleet )to Doug and he can referance my last tune. I am at sea level with the mod's listed in my sig. I am at 12-12.5 now at wideopen throttle.
Old 1/2/06, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Nick85+January 2, 2006, 4:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick85 @ January 2, 2006, 4:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Don what kind of power will that KB SC yeild using the recommended tune?
[/b]

Here is a post from the guy who will be getting my SC for me and doing my tuning. He just installed one on his car: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/428569-post90.html

<!--QuoteBegin-Firedude
@January 2, 2006, 4:28 PM
You should be able to run with the rear 02 sensors unplugged. Most performance tunes shut them off anyway. I have Longtube JBA's and Doug's tunes. I run with the rear 02's unplugged with no problems(2000+ miles). One word of advice, I found after the header install that I was running lean(I installed a Wideband). Around 14.5 at wideopen throttle. Doug was able to adjust it for me. If you need to, mention my name ( Bret Van Fleet )to Doug and he can referance my last tune. I am at sea level with the mod's listed in my sig. I am at 12-12.5 now at wideopen throttle.
[/quote]

I have already sent Doug an e-mail requesting a modified tune.
Old 1/2/06, 09:35 PM

After a few attempts and help from several guys (Doc, Tony, and Steve... thanks a bunch!!), we finally managed to get this huge video loaded up. And special thanks to Tony (Sixty-Six), who was gracious enough to host this for me! Anyway, it's about 3 minutes long and about 80MB, but the quality is pretty good. [warning to you dial-up users!!]

Again, here is the scenario. This was Sunday afternoon, with the Dynatech LTs on, but no cats/midpipe/axlebacks attached. Pure unadulterated, open header sound.

1. The first thing you'll see is an in-car camera view (with my wife taping) of my first WOT burst with the open headers. I was a bit excited. hehe

2. After that, we found a deserted road, and I handed the keys to my wife. I wanted to hear it from outside the car. With my son running the camera, we recorded her two "laps" on that road. Keep in mind that at the end of that road, she is over 1/8-mi away, and when she hits the loud pedal to come back, it is amazing how loud it is even from that distance.

3. Finally, my son followed us in his red Jeep, and his friend took some more video of us headed back towards home.

TURN UP THE VOLUME... and enjoy!!!

Video Link --->> http://don.2005stang.com/Open%20Headers.wmv

Remember - it's a big file... give it time to load.
Old 1/2/06, 09:47 PM
FR500 Member

You may want to just download it by right clicking and saving it instead of running it through a player. This way you'll always have it too

I'll see if I can get it smaller in a different format (sorry I don't do windows).
Old 1/2/06, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by SixtySix@January 2, 2006, 8:50 PM
You may want to just download it by right clicking and saving it instead of running it through a player. This way you'll always have it too
Good suggestion. Also, I have it in a 4MB version, but the quality is awful.
Old 1/2/06, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

you crazy fokker lol your wife almost took out the camera mand and the key grip, the baffer, etc... darn pushy mustangs

I love that sound...NEVER gets old.
Old 1/2/06, 10:14 PM
FR500 Member

And here is a much smaller high quality mp4 of it. This one is only 16 megs. Go ahead and feel free to scale up your players window, it scales up nicely

It will play in an up to date Quicktime Player and the highly recommended open source player VideoLan (VLC)

Here it is!

http://don.2005stang.com/OpenHeaders.mp4

Defineately right click and save this one, some web browsers won't know what to do with an .mp4
Old 1/3/06, 03:26 AM
Cobra Member

Welcome to the "wicked sounding Mustang Club"

-Dan
Old 1/3/06, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

You should keep it just like that

Quick Reply: Dynatech Longtube Headers Installed