GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Coupe springs in a Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/09, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe springs in a Convertible?

Question,

I have done a search of the Mustang community for an answer to this question. Will putting coupe springs (rear only) lower a convertible? I know that the rear springs are different, I am assuming to make up for the weight difference in back. I'm guessing about 1/2" without a great loss in quality?
I ask this because I got to ride in a lowered GT using Steeda springs and it rode horrible, rattles everywhere, it did seem more planted though. The stance while nice was just to low. Most springs I see result in the back end of the Convertible being lower than the front.
I am considering H&R 3/4" rear springs, before thinking about switching out for coupe springs.
I know this guessing but thought someone with more knowledge could help.

Thanks
Old 11/26/09, 06:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

There are some companies that offer a leveling kit which i think is what you are talking about that only lower the rear end to even out with the front. If i am not mistaken Vogtland makes a nice leveling kit made for the GT with a smooth ride.
Old 11/26/09, 06:12 AM
Cobra Member

If you kept the stock dampers with lowering springs, that could be a big contributing factor to the ride roughness/quality. I am current running the 1in Roush's on the rear of my vert and it dropped it right at an inch. But the rear end feels very "loose", which is why I plan to upgrade to the Koni Sports.

I agree with Reddragon as the Vogtland ride leveling set would be a good choice http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=75&ModelID=5
Old 11/26/09, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

We put the Eibach Pro-Kit in the wife's Vert. Ride over expansion joints was not too harsh. The car seemed to "pogo" front to back ever so slightly, but not harsh. Turn in was smooth as the springs are progressive. After the car leans in, it sticks much better than stock. We liked the kit as the compromise between handling and ride was perfect for the wife.

I run the Steeda Comp springs. The Comp stands for compromises all comfort for handling!
Old 11/26/09, 11:24 PM

Thanks Guys,
Always able to get help. The Vert i rode in did have Steeda Comps and D specs and the owner does not seem to notice ride, as long as he is happy. I know Ford went with a softer setup for the convertibles because of the missing metal and I believe even the GT500 verts have a softer setup than than coupes.
I am upgrading to 18" wheels, figured I would lower the stance a bit.

Doogie I see that you have a supercharger so the extra weight might have helped level your car out? Your convertible is spot on.

Will change the shocks same time as the springs Koni's for the rear. I got a chance yesterday to see a coupe and convertible spring side by side. The coupe spring seems a "bit" more wound but it could be my eyes. So the drop would probably not be worth it. So Vogtland or H & R.

Thanks for the help Shaun and Reddragon