GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Control Arms...What's The Difference??

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/08, 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control Arms...What's The Difference??

I have been reading about alot of guys buying control arms on the forums and I had a question. What is the difference between an upper and a lower control arm? I have seen most guys only buying the LCA's?
Old 1/15/08, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by officespace56
I have been reading about alot of guys buying control arms on the forums and I had a question. What is the difference between an upper and a lower control arm? I have seen most guys only buying the LCA's?
On s197's there are 2 lower control arms and only one upper control arm a.k.a. upper third link. Swapping the lower control arms will help with traction and reducing wheel hop. Swapping the upper third link with an adjustable one will help traction that much more by being able to adjust your pinion angle. (the angle between the rear differential and the drive shaft). This is particularily helpful in lowered cars because lowering changes that angle.
Old 1/16/08, 04:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
On s197's there are 2 lower control arms and only one upper control arm a.k.a. upper third link. Swapping the lower control arms will help with traction and reducing wheel hop. Swapping the upper third link with an adjustable one will help traction that much more by being able to adjust your pinion angle. (the angle between the rear differential and the drive shaft). This is particularily helpful in lowered cars because lowering changes that angle.

Please stop answering post with uneducated answers. 2nd one Ive seen in a few minutes.

officespace, the reason you see most with lowers vs the upper is because the lowers are easier to install, and easier to adjust, when it comes time to adjust pinion angle. And yes, you can adjust pinion angle with just lowers. You do not need an upper to adjust pinion angle. Yes they both will adjust it, but the lowers are easier.

Neither will give you "more traction" but will stop the hop if its an issue, which essentially helps traction if the wheels not hopping up and down.
Old 1/16/08, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Please stop answering post with uneducated answers. 2nd one Ive seen in a few minutes.

officespace, the reason you see most with lowers vs the upper is because the lowers are easier to install, and easier to adjust, when it comes time to adjust pinion angle. And yes, you can adjust pinion angle with just lowers. You do not need an upper to adjust pinion angle. Yes they both will adjust it, but the lowers are easier.

Neither will give you "more traction" but will stop the hop if its an issue, which essentially helps traction if the wheels not hopping up and down.
I have the parts I'm talking about and by actual use have gotten WAY BETTER TRACTION. So I know what I am talking about. Getting rid of wheel hop = better traction. And yes you can adjust pinion with adjustable lower and yes it probably is easier.

thanks.
Old 1/16/08, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I gotta agree with 2kanchoo...... stoenr makes some good points too.

Lower control arms (LCAs) are by far easier to install and will help to eliminate wheel hop and provide better traction. They will NOT allow you to adjust pinion angle UNLESS they're an adjustable design, which 80% of the LCAs on the market are NOT adjustable.

The upper control arm (UCA) is a more complicated install. It will allow you to adjust pinion angle if it is an adjustable unit, and most of the units on the market now ARE adjustable. It will give you better traction ability too if installed and adjusted properly.

You can use either just the LCAs or the UCA by theirselves or you can use them in combination. The need to adjust the pinion angle only comes into play if you lower the car and/or install a one piece driveshaft. Continue searching the forums and you'll find tons of info.
Old 1/16/08, 07:12 PM
V6 Member

Nicely put post tom281 I agree
Old 1/16/08, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I gotta agree with 2kanchoo...... stoenr makes some good points too.

Lower control arms (LCAs) are by far easier to install and will help to eliminate wheel hop and provide better traction. They will NOT allow you to adjust pinion angle UNLESS they're an adjustable design, which 80% of the LCAs on the market are NOT adjustable.

The upper control arm (UCA) is a more complicated install. It will allow you to adjust pinion angle if it is an adjustable unit, and most of the units on the market now ARE adjustable. It will give you better traction ability too if installed and adjusted properly.

You can use either just the LCAs or the UCA by theirselves or you can use them in combination. The need to adjust the pinion angle only comes into play if you lower the car and/or install a one piece driveshaft. Continue searching the forums and you'll find tons of info.
Yea what he said. He expanded where I started lol. That about sums it all up.