GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Comp Cams or FRPP Cams

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/11, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comp Cams or FRPP Cams

Im debating on which cams to get. Im N/A street driven, and looking for the most rwhp out of these two cams. I have all bolt-ons except TB, and EWP. Which of these two cams NSR would give me more power to the wheels?

Comp Cams NSR (127200)
FRPP hotrod Cams
Old 1/23/11, 07:51 PM

I went with the Comp's because my car is driven in street traffic a lot. I had read that the FRPP's sometimes have driveabilty issues in the lower rpms. The Comps are much less choppy in idle, but sound wasn't a factor for me. Lately I have read some good info. on the BBR Stage I cams. They are NSR and have a higher intake and exhaust valve lift than either the Comp or FRPP NSR cams. The BBR reps. are saying it's o.k. because coil bind with stock springs is around .512, which much higher than what was previously thought.
Old 1/23/11, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by rivercitypony
I went with the Comp's because my car is driven in street traffic a lot. I had read that the FRPP's sometimes have driveabilty issues in the lower rpms. The Comps are much less choppy in idle, but sound wasn't a factor for me. Lately I have read some good info. on the BBR Stage I cams. They are NSR and have a higher intake and exhaust valve lift than either the Comp or FRPP NSR cams. The BBR reps. are saying it's o.k. because coil bind with stock springs is around .512, which much higher than what was previously thought.
any dyno #'s on your car with your mods
Old 1/23/11, 10:06 PM

any dyno #'s on your car with your mods?

The last dyno pull ( on a conservative dyno jet) with these mods was well over two years ago, but the Comp cams increased my numbers from 319 rwhp/313 rwtq to 340 rwhp/320 rwtq. Remember, I have shorty headers, because I'm going with a turbo as a power adder. With the mods you're talking about adding, you should make at least 350 rwhp N/A, and that's with any NSR cam. BTW, not to get too far off topic, how do you like the FRPP throttle body?
Old 1/23/11, 10:19 PM

Also you can add an aluminum flywheel if all of the above doesn't get you to 350 rwhp. One good thing about your hp goal: you probably won't need a clutch upgrade, or fuel injector and fuel pump upgrades.

Last edited by rivercitypony; 1/23/11 at 10:26 PM.
Old 1/24/11, 03:21 AM
V6 Member

The last dyno pull ( on a conservative dyno jet) with these mods was well over two years ago, but the Comp cams increased my numbers from 319 rwhp/313 rwtq to 340 rwhp/320 rwtq. Remember, I have shorty headers, because I'm going with a turbo as a power adder. With the mods you're talking about adding, you should make at least 350 rwhp N/A, and that's with any NSR cam. BTW, not to get too far off topic, how do you like the FRPP throttle body?

I saw your mod list in your sig.
How the HELL did you have 319RWHP without the cams?
What was your full mod list then?
Old 1/24/11, 01:57 PM

I don't have FRPP TB, I have BBK 62mm Twin TB!
Old 1/24/11, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
He dynoed on a Dyno Jet, the Dynojet numbers are slightly higher than MD's.
Old 1/24/11, 02:03 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always heard great things about comp cams.

in fact a few wekeends ago when I was installing my stereo we installed some in my nephews focus and they are amazing in that.
The following users liked this post:
Mustang dog (4/1/17)
Old 1/24/11, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Elanor05
He dynoed on a Dyno Jet, the Dynojet numbers are slightly higher than MD's.

Even on a Dyno....that mod list is not very big without those cams.
I dont see how it cold make near that much
CAI... UDPs, and Deletes and that's all i really see for performance mods without his cams.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 1/24/11 at 08:12 PM.
Old 1/24/11, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Even on a Dyno....that mod list is not very big without those cams.
I dont see how it cold make near that much
CAI... UDPs, and Deletes and that's all i really see for performance mods without his cams.
Sounds right to me. The cams made up the next 30hp to get him 340rwhp which is the usual with those mods.

Also I would say neither of these cams will give more significant power than the other. If you want the most power you can get you would go with like a 127500 with a spring swap or something along those lines. The frpp's sound like pure sex though.

Last edited by 2kanchoo; 1/24/11 at 11:14 PM.
Old 1/24/11, 11:42 PM

I was very surprised to get those numbers, believe me, but I give credit to other factors besides engine mods for my high numbers. (a) Adam at ST Motorsports is a world class mustang tuner. (b) the weight reducing mods I put on the car are underated in what they can do for performance, regaining lost hp and tq. By this I mean an aluminum flywheel, driveshaft, and some super light Enkei racing wheels that are much lighter than the stock bullet wheels. (c) I'm still using relatively light 235/55/17 tires. (d) No cats with an x pipe is great for top end hp. (e) I use synthetic oil and fluids everywhere on the car. Heck I even stepped down a viscosity level for the rear differential--an old racing trick to get more hp. (f) I have Brisk racing spark plugs and some MSD cops in the car as well. It all adds up when you're going N/A. But now it's time for a turbo as a power adder. However the mods I've listed above will still be there helping with overall performance, so I can't complain.
Old 1/25/11, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I was very surprised to get those numbers, believe me, but I give credit to other factors besides engine mods for my high numbers. (a) Adam at ST Motorsports is a world class mustang tuner. (b) the weight reducing mods I put on the car are underated in what they can do for performance, regaining lost hp and tq. By this I mean an aluminum flywheel, driveshaft, and some super light Enkei racing wheels that are much lighter than the stock bullet wheels. (c) I'm still using relatively light 235/55/17 tires. (d) No cats with an x pipe is great for top end hp. (e) I use synthetic oil and fluids everywhere on the car. Heck I even stepped down a viscosity level for the rear differential--an old racing trick to get more hp. (f) I have Brisk racing spark plugs and some MSD cops in the car as well. It all adds up when you're going N/A. But now it's time for a turbo as a power adder. However the mods I've listed above will still be there helping with overall performance, so I can't complain.
I want to see pictures. Interested in the wheels.
Old 1/25/11, 12:38 PM
GT Member

pardon my ignorance but what is NSR?
Old 1/25/11, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost
pardon my ignorance but what is NSR?
No Springs Required. Meaning, you cam just swap out the cams without changing to new springs. This saves $$ and time.
Old 1/25/11, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car got 323hp on a dyno jet, it's possible with minimal mods, good tune helps also.
These 4.6's respond well to mods

Last edited by fdjizm; 1/25/11 at 01:42 PM.
Old 1/26/11, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
My car got 323hp on a dyno jet, it's possible with minimal mods, good tune helps also.
These 4.6's respond well to mods
[img][/img]
This is pretty well exactly what I had before the cams. Then my tq stayed close to the same and I gained about 30rwhp.
Old 1/26/11, 03:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
This is pretty well exactly what I had before the cams. Then my tq stayed close to the same and I gained about 30rwhp.
Yea cams move the powerband higher but the extra HP up top will definitely make the car faster, you're never below 3krpm at the strip 4.10's are reccomended with most mild cams, I plan on getting some hot rods next year though.