GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cleaning the C & L Filter

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/05, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I bought and installed the C & L intake system, and my question is, what's the best method for cleaning the filter? I plan to do it whenever I change the oil, and want to know what materials I need to clean it, how much time I should allot to it, etc. Any help you guys could provide would be great. Thanks!
Old 6/8/05, 08:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@June 8, 2005, 9:52 AM
So I bought and installed the C & L intake system, and my question is, what's the best method for cleaning the filter? I plan to do it whenever I change the oil, and want to know what materials I need to clean it, how much time I should allot to it, etc. Any help you guys could provide would be great. Thanks!
Actually according to K&N, dirt actually helps. IIRC they recommend cleaning every 30-50K.
Old 6/8/05, 11:58 AM
GT Member

K&N says 50k I think, unless you live in an especially dirty climate. To answer your question, K&N makes a cleaner kit with everything you need.
Old 6/8/05, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 96vert@June 8, 2005, 11:01 AM
K&N says 50k I think, unless you live in an especially dirty climate. To answer your question, K&N makes a cleaner kit with everything you need.
Thanks. Now, a follow-up question. K & N filters are oiled, and one of the reasons I didn't buy a K & N is because I'd read horror stories about the filter oil being ingested by the engine and causing damage. Does this K & N cleaning kit you mention involve oiling the filter? And where can I buy said cleaning kit?

Thanks again!
Old 6/9/05, 07:20 AM
GT Member

It gives specific directions about how to oil the filter (although I don't remember nor have them in front of me at the moment). I think you spray the oil on the filter, and let it "dry" for a period of hours before use.

You can pick them up at various auto parts stores, Jegs.com, summitracing.com, and many other suppliers (probably including suppliers that sponsor this site).
Old 6/9/05, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@June 8, 2005, 10:52 AM
I actually talked to C&L about this some time ago, and the owner claimed that the particular filter they sell isn't supposed to be cleaned, oiled and reused. He said just through it out and replace it every year. Plus, he was real adament about improper oiling and getting it into the intake system.

So for me, I'll just get a new one every January...
Old 6/9/05, 12:10 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did he happen to mention where to get replacement filters and how much they are?
Old 6/9/05, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jayguy@June 9, 2005, 11:13 AM
Did he happen to mention where to get replacement filters and how much they are?
I remember reading here somewhere that the filter C & L includes with their kit is made by S & B. So I guess you would just find the identical size filter (length x diameter) and use that, right? I just Googled "S & B filter" and it came up with many hits, so I don't think finding them will be a problem.
Old 6/10/05, 08:44 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I was wondering about the filter too. Good info about not cleaning the filter - so I wont be cleaning just tossing...
I suspect one of the auto parts stores around here can order the S&B filter if we have the part number... AutoZone in Marysville is pretty good about ordering parts.
Old 6/10/05, 08:59 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

http://www.daymotorsports.com/CatalogRequest.php

The only place I found a distributor for S&B was in tacoma... but the link above sells S&B filters.
Old 6/10/05, 10:47 PM
GT Member

S&B filters are just like K&N's, reuseable, and they use filter oil. Why would you go out and buy a new filter every year when you can just clean it and it will be just like new...Sounds to me like you will be wasting your money.

Just make sure that you clean it right and everything will be fine...
Old 6/11/05, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

So, am I supposed to be oiling the C & L filter, then? I haven't, and if I do, that gives me pause. The reason I bought this intake is specifically because I didn't want one that had to be oiled. It didn't come with any filter oil, so I assumed it wasn't required. I heard too many horror stories about K & N filters and their filter oil being ingested by the engine and causing damage. :notnice:

My plan had been to clean it with soap and water, rinse, and allow to dry. Is replacement a better option, as a couple have suggested? I don't mind spending the money to keep the car in good running condition, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Again, thanks as always for the good info!
Old 6/11/05, 11:03 AM
FR500 Member

The nightmare's are from people over-oiling, and probably why C&L recommends just replacing them. Too many people slathering oil all over the place and stinking oil.

Washing with soap and water without re-oiling it will effectively diminish the filtering properties of the filter. That's why they are reusable oiled filter's. The oil aids in the process of trapping particulate matter.

So if you're concerned about stinking oil, buy a new filter. If you are confident that you can use the filter oiling re-charge kit properly, then do that.

But don't wash it with soap and water without re-oiling it.
Old 6/11/05, 11:16 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@June 11, 2005, 9:50 AM
So, am I supposed to be oiling the C & L filter, then? I haven't, and if I do, that gives me pause. The reason I bought this intake is specifically because I didn't want one that had to be oiled. It didn't come with any filter oil, so I assumed it wasn't required. I heard too many horror stories about K & N filters and their filter oil being ingested by the engine and causing damage. :notnice:

My plan had been to clean it with soap and water, rinse, and allow to dry. Is replacement a better option, as a couple have suggested? I don't mind spending the money to keep the car in good running condition, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Again, thanks as always for the good info!
The filter may have not come with replacement oil, but the filter must have been pre-oiled...wasn't it? What brand filter is it?
Old 6/11/05, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 245/45ZR-17@June 11, 2005, 10:19 AM
The filter may have not come with replacement oil, but the filter must have been pre-oiled...wasn't it? What brand filter is it?
I believe that the filter itself is manufactured by S & B. It arrived in the C & L kit covered in shrink wrap, and it did not and does not feel oily to the touch. Should it? I read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) that the filter included with the C & L was not oiled and didn't require it, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

Don't wash with soap and water, check. Checking prices, it looks like these filters are around $20-$35 on average, which is not too high a price to pay. If I have to replace it on an annual basis, I can eat that cost.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I love all the info I'm getting, please keep it coming, this is immensely helpful. One of the reasons I came to this board in the first place...
Old 6/11/05, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@June 11, 2005, 12:29 PM
I believe that the filter itself is manufactured by S & B. It arrived in the C & L kit covered in shrink wrap, and it did not and does not feel oily to the touch. Should it? I read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) that the filter included with the C & L was not oiled and didn't require it, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

Don't wash with soap and water, check. Checking prices, it looks like these filters are around $20-$35 on average, which is not too high a price to pay. If I have to replace it on an annual basis, I can eat that cost.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I love all the info I'm getting, please keep it coming, this is immensely helpful. One of the reasons I came to this board in the first place...
can someone confirm any of this with C&L?

David :scratch:
Old 6/11/05, 02:51 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

its oiled - you can feel it - its a very very light coating...I could tell when I was installing it.

for 30-40 $ its worth just replacing it if your worried about accidently using too much oil. I plan on just replacing it unless I have a problem finding one. If that happens then I will buy the k&n cleaning kit...
Old 6/11/05, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AJC@June 11, 2005, 1:54 PM
its oiled - you can feel it - its a very very light coating...I could tell when I was installing it.

for 30-40 $ its worth just replacing it if your worried about accidently using too much oil. I plan on just replacing it unless I have a problem finding one. If that happens then I will buy the k&n cleaning kit...
Andrew,

Once more you're there with the answer! :worship: It must be light, I honestly couldn't tell. Yes, I am worried about ingesting oil, as you can probably tell. I'll just replace it then instead of cleaning. Earlier posts said once a year or so, that sounds reasonable to me, I can spring for that.

I guess that answers my question, then. Thanks, guys, for all the help, you guys are the reason I make this place my home.

EDIT: 100th post! Woohoo!