GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The cat is out- Vortech install soon!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/07, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Gary...... I can't wait to make some more vids and post'em up!!
Old 3/2/07, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom, whats your next move after the Vortech!....Besides more speeding tickets? Up grade suspension?.....Drive shaft?......Start planning for your 09 like myself?.........Just think three Stangs in the garrage!.....
Old 3/2/07, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Next move after the Vortech headunit is adding the Paxton cooler....... then after that, swapping to a smaller pully and increasing the boost!

Realistically I'm sure I'll have to plan a clutch install, and upgrade brakes.
Old 3/3/07, 04:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Next move after the Vortech headunit is adding the Paxton cooler....... then after that, swapping to a smaller pully and increasing the boost!

Realistically I'm sure I'll have to plan a clutch install, and upgrade brakes.
Sounds good! What kind of 275/40/18 tires are you getting?

I felt after the supercharger install, I needed to get some tires and better brakes on it ASAP, car didn't feel safe. And then the clutch started slipping.

You've got a head start with the gauges.
Old 3/3/07, 05:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Sounds good! What kind of 275/40/18 tires are you getting?

I felt after the supercharger install, I needed to get some tires and better brakes on it ASAP, car didn't feel safe. And then the clutch started slipping.

You've got a head start with the gauges.
I'm looking at Nitto 555's on all four corners. I bought my wheels last month, just gotta get the tires. As far as brakes, likely I'll just try some Hawk HPS pads first....... nothing too crazy.

Mostly though I'm hoping my clutch holds up for a while. When it goes, Brenspeed sells the Spec brand so that's probably what I'll replace the stocker with. And the flywheel too......
Old 3/3/07, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm looking at Nitto 555's on all four corners. I bought my wheels last month, just gotta get the tires. As far as brakes, likely I'll just try some Hawk HPS pads first....... nothing too crazy.

Mostly though I'm hoping my clutch holds up for a while. When it goes, Brenspeed sells the Spec brand so that's probably what I'll replace the stocker with. And the flywheel too......
Good call on the Hawk HPS pads. I did the Hawks, rotors, and SS lines, but I think the pads made all the difference. When I took out my stock clutch, it looked fine, it was just slipping a tad when shifting hard into third. I could have probably drove on it for many more months/years like that. But noooo..., I wanted to bark the tires going into third.
Old 3/3/07, 12:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good call on the Hawk HPS pads. I did the Hawks, rotors, and SS lines, but I think the pads made all the difference. When I took out my stock clutch, it looked fine, it was just slipping a tad when shifting hard into third. I could have probably drove on it for many more months/years like that. But noooo..., I wanted to bark the tires going into third.
Do you really chirp going into third?
Old 3/3/07, 03:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
Do you really chirp going into third?
Sure, been barking them in third since the Bamachips tune and JLT CAI. Just about anyone should be able to with the rock-hard stock Pirelli's.

Tom, keep us posted on the Vortech!
Old 3/3/07, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Tom,
Here is what the Nitto 555's look like sitting in the corner. They are 275/ZR40/18's. Just waiting on the weather to break . Can't say they are worth anything better than stock yet. But they look good.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails The cat is out- Vortech install soon!!-nitto-1.jpg   The cat is out- Vortech install soon!!-nitto-2.jpg   The cat is out- Vortech install soon!!-nitto-3.jpg  
Old 3/3/07, 04:39 PM
GT Member

Hey tom where you at in NE Indiana. I'll have to be sure to look out for you. I'm in South Bend. Also, definitely looking to get blown. I'd have jumped at the chance to be a Brenspeed testbed. I wish they would have asked me. Brent and Dave are both top-notch guys.
Old 3/3/07, 04:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Can I drive it too, Tom?
Old 3/3/07, 05:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can bark the tires in 3rd but I don't have a supercharger! I'm jealous so I had to throw that in there.
Old 3/3/07, 06:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I can't hear the 3rd gear chirp because my exhaust is so loud
Old 3/3/07, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sure, been barking them in third since the Bamachips tune and JLT CAI. Just about anyone should be able to with the rock-hard stock Pirelli's.

Tom, keep us posted on the Vortech!
I believe you about chirping into 3rd gear..... and you're right about the clutch needing to grip. If you watch some vids on Brenspeed's site, you can see Brent chirping into 4th gear, with bolt-on's and a Spec clutch.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Tom,
Here is what the Nitto 555's look like sitting in the corner. They are 275/ZR40/18's. Just waiting on the weather to break . Can't say they are worth anything better than stock yet. But they look good.
Scott
Cool Scott, thanks for the pix. Your wheel/tire combo is gonna look awesome on your vert! Can't wait to see it!!

Originally Posted by jaiasmit
Hey tom where you at in NE Indiana. I'll have to be sure to look out for you. I'm in South Bend. Also, definitely looking to get blown. I'd have jumped at the chance to be a Brenspeed testbed. I wish they would have asked me. Brent and Dave are both top-notch guys.
I'm just south of Fort Wayne. I go to the Michiana Mustang show each year in Elkart and I'm a member of the Old Fort Mustangs club.

Originally Posted by codeman94
Can I drive it too, Tom?
Sure can, but I'm in the passenger seat!! LOL!

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I can bark the tires in 3rd but I don't have a supercharger! I'm jealous so I had to throw that in there.
You're a better driver than me, I can't get the chirp each time, only occasionally. I will say though that in 2nd gear at about 35mph, I can stomp the gas and get sideways right now; the blower should be crazy nuts at that rpm range!
Old 3/3/07, 10:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Tom,
Scott
Hey! older man than me! get that meat on your car! Those look frigging fabulous!...........Don't leave your garage unlocked, your tires maybe gone! and only Tom281 tracks around outside!!.........
Old 3/4/07, 03:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Hey! older man than me! get that meat on your car! Those look frigging fabulous!...........Don't leave your garage unlocked, your tires maybe gone! and only Tom281 tracks around outside!!.........

I'll keep an eye out for him.
Old 3/4/07, 05:30 PM
Cobra Member

Awesome news Tom! Im also really interested in the kit from Brenspeed...Let me know how everything turns out.

PS: Up to what Boost level is the Vortech (Non-IC) supposed to be good for? What about after upgrading with the Cooler?
Old 3/4/07, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The boost is about 8 lbs at 6000 rpm; slightly more at 6500. This is the same no matter if you get the non-cooled kit or the 'cooled kit- the head unit is the same. I think that the main difference between the power output between the two kits is the tune; Brenspeed expects a very mild tune for the non cooled kit, and once the kit is upgraded, then the more aggressive tune along with the colder intake charge should be good for an additional 50 or so HP safely.

The other thing that I like about the Vortech S-trim is that there is a variety of pullies to choose from..... if you upgrade your internals, you can swap pullies easily and really drop the hammer!
Old 3/7/07, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Tic! Tic! Tic!........ Ten days to go, The anticipation is setting in! I bet Tom's more nervous than when he got married.....
Old 3/7/07, 04:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Tic! Tic! Tic!........ Ten days to go, The anticipation is setting in! I bet Tom's more nervous than when he got married.....

Well you're close.......... not more nervous, just more excited LOL!

Here's the kicker though..... I drop the car off around 3/16, but then I go out of town on vacation from 3/20 until the 30th so I won't be able to drive the dam thing until the first of April! So basically, I've got another three friggin' weeks left.

Quick Reply: The cat is out- Vortech install soon!!