GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which CAI is best?

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/07, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the best CAI ? thats the 64 dollar question! I think the the big three C&L, Steeda and JLT are all with in a Pamela Lee Anderson pubic hair of each other! ! I agree with Metro's post and a couple other's, most the HP is from the tune! ....
Old 1/8/07, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,
I appreciate all of your posts and even some of the disagreements, since they help explain why people stand behind their CAI choice. I am leaning toward the C&L "true flow" CAI, but I'm going to be honest even if people disagree with me on this one: I think adding a tune is really going to get me into some trouble with keeping my warranty.

The situation with me is that my car will be arriving at the dealership on January 21st and the dealer told me if I intalled the FRPP (power upgrade) and FRHP (handling pack) it would not void the factory warranty.

Even though I'm tempted to get a C&L CAI add a Bamachips or Brentspeed tune, I keep reading these posts about people having blue smoke issues or how after they get a tune they get codes and have to take the car into the dealer and have the computer reset. I think this is the kind of stuff that gets my warranty voided and considering the posts I've seen about leaky valves and grinding gears; it sounds like my warranty is an investment I should protect.

Thanks for the CAI advice guys...

~Tifo
Old 1/8/07, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tifo
Even though I'm tempted to get a C&L CAI add a Bamachips or Brentspeed tune, I keep reading these posts about people having blue smoke issues or how after they get a tune they get codes and have to take the car into the dealer and have the computer reset. I think this is the kind of stuff that gets my warranty voided and considering the posts I've seen about leaky valves and grinding gears; it sounds like my warranty is an investment I should protect.

~Tifo
A tune is DEFINITELY required when adding a CAI kit, even for the CAI kits that claim a tune is not required. The reason being the air transfer function is no longer the same as stock!

The blue smoke should have nothing to do with adding a CAI or installing a Bamachips or Brenspeed tune. The blue smoke is most likely a valve guide issue (some 03-04 Marauders w/ the 4.6 quad-cam V8 had the same problem). FWIW, the main reason most dealers are willing to let the FRPP stuff slide is that it has the Ford Racing logo, it is being used on the Shelby GT/GT-H, because of "technology transfer" collaborations between Ford Racing, Ford Motor Company + the vendors that are actually manufacturing/developing the kits, and because many dealerships themselves sell the FRPP kits.

For example, the 5GT mufflers are actually made by Borla and stamped with the Ford Racing logo and sold under the Ford Racing Parts brand. Warranty claims are actually handled through Borla since Ford Racing does not actually make the mufflers.

After looking at the 5.0 Mustang magazine reviews, it appears all of the CAI intake kits generally improved engine output by roughly 15-20 rwhp/rwtq so I do not believe you can go wrong with any of the choices

FWIW I do know people that are afraid to take their modified S197 GTs back for service because they don't want the dealer to know they voided the warranty (no cats, etc...)
Old 1/8/07, 04:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tifo
Hi guys,
I appreciate all of your posts and even some of the disagreements, since they help explain why people stand behind their CAI choice. I am leaning toward the C&L "true flow" CAI, but I'm going to be honest even if people disagree with me on this one: I think adding a tune is really going to get me into some trouble with keeping my warranty.

The situation with me is that my car will be arriving at the dealership on January 21st and the dealer told me if I intalled the FRPP (power upgrade) and FRHP (handling pack) it would not void the factory warranty.

~Tifo
You have to do what ever gives you peace of mind!
Old 1/8/07, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tifo,

I am right there with, I would love to mod the car, but I am worried about the other effects that may occur. the check engines, gas odors, error codes, etc. I would really like a CL Racer intake, love the look, I also like the JLT system as well.

I have also thought about getting an Arraid/Roush intake. However I emailed Roush to ask what performance gain could be had by the intake alone and their response was 7-10rwhp. not a lot of gain for $300+, IMO, but it seems to back up the story that the tune is worth around 10rwhp and the intake around 10rwhp as well.

I would like to see a thread about CAI users that have had no problems, maybe that would make me have some peace of mind

Sam
Old 1/8/07, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by sams66
Tifo,

I am right there with, I would love to mod the car, but I am worried about the other effects that may occur. the check engines, gas odors, error codes, etc. I would really like a CL Racer intake, love the look, I also like the JLT system as well.

I have also thought about getting an Arraid/Roush intake. However I emailed Roush to ask what performance gain could be had by the intake alone and their response was 7-10rwhp. not a lot of gain for $300+, IMO, but it seems to back up the story that the tune is worth around 10rwhp and the intake around 10rwhp as well.

I would like to see a thread about CAI users that have had no problems, maybe that would make me have some peace of mind

Sam
I've got 3300 miles on my 06 GT build date 06/02/06. 3000 of that I have ran a C&L CAI with a 93 octane tune from brenspeed! With absolutely no problems!
Old 1/8/07, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by sams66
Tifo,

Sam
I have the JLT. Absolutely no problems... No check engine, error codes, blue smoke... If you closely examine the threads/posts regarding CAIs/tunes, you'll see that only a very small % of people have experienced any problems, and often the issue was actually unrelated to the "mod". There will be no definitive anwser to the thread's question. It's like asking, "What is the best exhaust?". Everyone will have an opinion, and report their experiences- either negative, or positive... but there is no "Best CAI". I personally have loyalty to JLT/SCT/BamaChips, because of my positive experience, ... Blkstang06 with C&L/SCT/Brenspeed, ... m05fastbackgt with Steeda/SCT/BamaChips... etc. Go with a top CAI/Tuner/Programer, and you'll be fine
Old 1/8/07, 06:37 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I have the JLT. Absolutely no problems... No check engine, error codes, blue smoke... If you closely examine the threads/posts regarding CAIs/tunes, you'll see that only a very small % of people have experienced any problems, and often the issue was actually unrelated to the "mod". There will be no definitive anwser to the thread's question. It's like asking, "What is the best exhaust?". Everyone will have an opinion, and report their experiences- either negative, or positive... but there is no "Best CAI". I personally have loyalty to JLT/SCT/BamaChips, because of my positive experience, ... Blkstang06 with C&L/SCT/Brenspeed, ... m05fastbackgt with Steeda/SCT/BamaChips... etc. Go with a top CAI/Tuner/Programer, and you'll be fine
Exactly it's not the CAI intake itself that's related to any of the problems mentioned ?? it all depends on the tuning files themselves such as proper air/fuel ratio, timing and spark curves and God forbid me for saying this but YES air transfer functions also play a very significant part which is why it's so important and critical that you find a reputable tuner who's both reliable and experienced in the industry that knows what in the hell their doing before ever placing a tuning file into your car's computer ? which is exactly why the majority of us chose either bamachips.com ? brenspeed.com ? or evolution performance, alternative auto and powerhouse automotive are also top SCT tuners as well..Therefore if you choose any of these sources ? you'll be in very safe hands..
Old 1/8/07, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
it all depends on the tuning files themselves such as proper air/fuel ratio, timing and spark curves and God forbid me for saying this but YES air transfer functions
I just wanted to add a bit more to this:
I'd have to say the air transfer function takes top priority. In order to dial in the AFR on a dynotune, the tuner tweaks the air transfer function based on wideband O2 feedback. Thus, the air transfer function is the most important as it will have a significant impact on AFR, and for the automatic transmission users - it will also affect your shifting!!!!! You can run the stock spark values (spark = timing), and keep everything else stock but just change the air transfer function once the CAI kit is installed. There aren't any spark "curves", but there are plenty of spark tables If you are really interested in this stuff, you may want to consider buying a Pro Racer Package from a SCT dealer. It pays for itself in the long run.

FWIW, that is what I did on my OBD-II Crown Vic when I installed the 03 Marauder MAF + airbox. I kept everything else in the tune file stock and just swapped the air transfer function. My long term fuel trim data for load/RPM shows I am well within the OEM specifications. OEM calls for +/- 20%, I'm actually in the +/- 5% range. I kept the stock spark settings so I can run 87 octane.

Tuners like VMP Tuning, Alternative Auto, Brenspeed, Modular Depot, and Bamachips offer much more than simple tuning: they offer their services and expertise
Old 1/8/07, 07:55 PM

Excuse me for my poor choice of wording there oh Great One !!! I'll therefore re-phrase that last statement as Air/fuel and timing curves along with Spark tables..Do I have it right now ?? sheezzz or is it Air/fuel/Spark tables and Timing curves LMAO
Old 1/9/07, 09:04 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Excuse me for my poor choice of wording there oh Great One !!! I'll therefore re-phrase that last statement as Air/fuel and timing curves along with Spark tables..Do I have it right now ?? sheezzz or is it Air/fuel/Spark tables and Timing curves LMAO
Are you two related? lol
Old 1/9/07, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by AirGoNomyk
Are you two related? lol
Hey were all related in the brotherhood of Mustang enthusiasm, weren't you aware of that ?
Old 1/12/07, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Whats the best CAI ? thats the 64 dollar question! I think the the big three C&L, Steeda and JLT are all with in a Pamela Lee Anderson pubic hair of each other! ! I agree with Metro's post and a couple other's, most the HP is from the tune! ....

Last I saw she didn't have any, or was that your point?
Old 1/12/07, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mot250

Last I saw she didn't have any, or was that your point?
Thats my point mot250! but I think she does get a five o'clock shadow!!!..
Old 1/14/07, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say go for the lowest priced and highest HP/TQ gainer.
The best of both worlds, the JLT will make your wallet AND your GT happy.

Hi fellas.
Jay
Old 1/14/07, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor

I like selling the JLT with XCal2 tune. The tune SCT provides was pretty close, just needed a little timing and fuel, and the car runs great with them. The intake runs colder than the aluminum, and they look sexy too.

$549.99 shipped
Old 1/14/07, 07:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
I like selling the JLT with XCal2 tune. The tune SCT provides was pretty close, just needed a little timing and fuel, and the car runs great with them. The intake runs colder than the aluminum, and they look sexy too.

$549.99 shipped
hi tillman,
what RWHP gains are your tests seeing with JLT and XCAL?

thanks very much!
Old 1/14/07, 08:05 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hi tillman,
what RWHP gains are your tests seeing with JLT and XCAL?

thanks very much!
With just the CAI and Tune, it really does vary. I've had 91-93 octane people see 28-35RWHP and 26-31RWTQ.

We just did Rubber Eater's last week. He put down 291rwhp/315rwtq with the addition of Steeda pulleys and Off-road X Pipe.
Old 1/15/07, 06:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

With just the CAI and Tune, it really does vary. I've had 91-93 octane people see 28-35RWHP and 26-31RWTQ.

We just did Rubber Eater's last week. He put down 291rwhp/315rwtq with the addition of Steeda pulleys and Off-road X Pipe.
Those are definitely some nice gains
Old 1/15/07, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

thanks for the info tillmanspeed

Quick Reply: Which CAI is best?