GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which CAI is best?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/07, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I've been very happy with my JLT series 2 intake for over a year now.......

Just throwin' that out there.
Old 1/6/07, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I can show you the air transfer functions from two different Ford factory 80mm MAFs (98 F-150 and a 03 Marauder, both have the same sample tube size and design) and one will have a resolution suited for a much higher hp application. The airbox and filter assemblies are quite different! These air transfer functions are programmed into the PCMs at the factory, so it was derived from OEM-quality testing and engineering. The moral of the story: the size of the MAF does not matter by itself. The rest of the intake assembly (upstream of the sensing wires) is very important as well. What would be a real eye opener is if we bench flowed ALL of the available 05-up GT CAI kits available and compared the data. This should be a much more controlled test (to see the potential of each CAI kit) than running a vehicle on a chassis dyno subject to a few rwhp variation by itself, not to mention the environmental variables. 1/4 mile ET/trap speeds are also going to vary from test run to test run.
Old 1/6/07, 08:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by GT John
Well, thats right from the horses mouth. Great post.

Man ya better get your flame suit on. There are a whole lot of guys here that will swear their putting 300+HP to the rear wheels with just a C&L and a tune.and have got the graphs to back it up.

I'm waiting for the new intake from FAST to be tested by Doug at Bamachips hopefully the testing will go good. Should see some info coming at the end of March.

Lee's numbers are right on.

Like some guys say. The dude running the dyno can give you any number you want to see. Especially if they sold you the add-ons.

The real test is at the drag strip. Not strapped down to some rollers.
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the C&L nor any of the other cold air intakes, however when someone provides an inaccurate claim about a certain product ? such as what the DVD claimed about the C&L intake, It was very important to set the record straight and once again I would like to thank Lee from C&L for doing just that..As for putting a flame suit on..for what reason ? again I have nothing against the C&L in fact all the CAI kits out there are unique in their own way..The main reason for choosing my Steeda intake ? was the fact that Steeda designs the FRPP kit exclusively for Ford racing and designs it according to Ford engineering specifications.. in addition Steeda's also a direct partner in Ford's technology transfer program, so the way I see it is this ? If the Steeda intake is good enough to be included as part of the factory equipped package on both the Shelby GT-H and the all new 2007 Shelby GT ? then it's more than good enough for my Stang... I'm also interested in the Fast 3v intake as well and I also believe that C&L is also developing an intake mainfold for the 3v Stangs ? in fact I spoke to Doug yesterday about testing them and he had mentioned that when he has the opportunity and the time to perform the testing ? he'll make certain to post the results..
Old 1/7/07, 05:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The main reason for choosing my Steeda intake ? was the fact that Steeda designs the FRPP kit exclusively for Ford racing and designs it according to Ford engineering specifications.. in addition Steeda's also a direct partner in Ford's technology transfer program, so the way I see it is this ? If the Steeda intake is good enough to be included as part of the factory equipped package on both the Shelby GT-H and the all new 2007 Shelby GT ?
Shelby is the one making the GT-H and Shelby GT and using the parts that are sold as FRPP power/handling packs. Ford is still using the same OEM airbox on the GT before shipping it out to Shelby in Nevada to be turned into the GT-H or Shelby GT. The OEMs generally do not ever use K&N-style cone filters at the factory backed with a 3/5-year powertrain warranty. The Shelby GT500 uses an airbox and paper panel filter, and that is after a significant amount of testing, research, and engineering at the OEM level. Shelby just slapped together some aftermarket parts with a body kit within a few months without the same level of testing as the OEM (SVT Director Hau Thai Thang even mentioned how Shelby can get it out to market within MONTHS, while it would take years for Ford to do the same). Most people simply do not realize or comprehend the amount of testing that is required before a vehicle ever hits production. The poor quality we are experiencing is the result of the combined efforts of Ford accounting execs who decontent without collaborating with engineers, and with supplier cost-cutting/outsourcing.

The FAST 3V intake does look promising. I heard that it has larger and longer intake runners, which should optimize the torque curve for more low end torque and more mid-high end power. Rumor has it that it deletes the CMCV plates as well, for a combined hp gain of about 40 ponies.
Old 1/7/07, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
The FAST 3V intake does look promising. I heard that it has larger and longer intake runners, which should optimize the torque curve for more low end torque and more mid-high end power. Rumor has it that it deletes the CMCV plates as well, for a combined hp gain of about 40 ponies.
They have dynoed a prototype and it only showed a 22HP increase. They've gone back to the drawing board last I heard. Some "engineering types" that were discussing the potential VE increase of a new intake were skeptical that 40 HP was possible. The stock intake manifold is a good design apparently, once you remove the biggest restriction (CMCV plates).

One thought that I've had is, how restrictive is the OEM air box/MAF tube if Saleen can get close to 400HP using it? Seems to me that if it can support those numbers, a simple 20-30HP increase should be possible?
Old 1/7/07, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelby is the one making the GT-H and Shelby GT and using the parts that are sold as FRPP power/handling packs. Ford is still using the same OEM airbox on the GT before shipping it out to Shelby in Nevada to be turned into the GT-H or Shelby GT. The OEMs generally do not ever use K&N-style cone filters at the factory backed with a 3/5-year powertrain warranty. The Shelby GT500 uses an airbox and paper panel filter, and that is after a significant amount of testing, research, and engineering at the OEM level. Shelby just slapped together some aftermarket parts with a body kit within a few months without the same level of testing as the OEM (SVT Director Hau Thai Thang even mentioned how Shelby can get it out to market within MONTHS, while it would take years for Ford to do the same). Most people simply do not realize or comprehend the amount of testing that is required before a vehicle ever hits production. The poor quality we are experiencing is the result of the combined efforts of Ford accounting execs who decontent without collaborating with engineers, and with supplier cost-cutting/outsourcing.

hi metroplex,

so do you think cone filters are risky for the life of the motor? are there potential long term issues? i wonder why ford decided not to go with it and shelby just puts in on there...

thanks!
Old 1/7/07, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

hi metroplex,

whats the info. on FAST 3v system?

thanks!
Old 1/7/07, 03:06 PM

And just what in the hell does this have anything to do with my post ? I'm fully aware that the cars are sent to Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas, Nevada as regular Mustang GT's with their OEM airboxes still intact and are then modified by Shelby Autos using the parts sold as FRPP power packs which once again are designed by Steeda..and FYI ? the FRPP/Steeda power pack is also included as part of the factory warranty on both the Shelby GT-H and 2007 Shelby GT..I'm also fully aware of the fact that the Shelby GT 500 uses the OEM factory airbox and paper filter which Btw is also considered as an air restriction just as the Mustang GT's OEM airbox regardless of it's increased size and even after all significant amounts of testing, research, and engineering are done at the OEM level. which once again has absolutely nothing to do with my point nor with my post..Therefore your opinions are once again irrelevant and the last thing we all need from you is pushing your opinions down our throat ? You've made yourself very clear time and time again concerning your position on aftermarket cold air intakes and cone filters and that's fine nobody here has criticized your position nor has anyone pushed their opinions down your throat ? So how about providing the rest of us with the very same courtesy in return because personally speaking ? no matter how many graphs, charts or any of your negative remarks you post concerning aftermarket intakes ? nothing is going to change my position one way or the other so you just might as well give it up..The bottom line is this.. If you have nothing positive to contribute ? then either keep your opinions to yourself or don't bother posting anything at all.. so read these words and read them well for this will be the last time I submit a response back your way concerning this topic...I DON'T CARE
Old 1/7/07, 03:15 PM

Double post due from server connection issue
Old 1/7/07, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Rock is fiesty , I like it... lol. What's up brother?
Old 1/7/07, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hi metroplex,

so do you think cone filters are risky for the life of the motor? are there potential long term issues? i wonder why ford decided not to go with it and shelby just puts in on there...

thanks!
YaoNYC ?? do yourself a favor ? if you have any doubts as to whether or not cone filters are risky towards engine life, direct your questions to a professional tuner such as Doug from bamachips.com he'll provide you with the real facts and not somebody's biased opinions which don't provide any real proof whatsoever..The fact is K&N has provided cone filters for over 20 years if not longer and when properly maintained ?? have extended engine lifespan and not the other way around..
Old 1/7/07, 04:12 PM
Cobra Member

i want to ask both vendors and non-vendors.

its fun to find out different perspectives and ideas....

then we can all take our time to do the right mods we want for our cars.
Old 1/7/07, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
The Rock is fiesty , I like it... lol. What's up brother?
Let's put it this way Pat ? I'am so fed up with this guy's biased opinions towards aftermarket cold air intakes and it's really getting very old and now he's attempting to fill someone's head this BS that cone filters shorten engine life which is complete nonsense..But don't give me all the credit brother ?? I owe much of my feistiness to SKI...BTW correct me if I'm wrong Pat ? but isn't the title of this thread called, which CAI is best ?? and not the stock OEM airbox thread LMAO..or is it just me lol ?
Old 1/7/07, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
i want to ask both vendors and non-vendors.

its fun to find out different perspectives and ideas....

then we can all take our time to do the right mods we want for our cars.
Dude take a good look around you, anybody that has these cold air intakes will tell you first hand they improve your car's performance and not the other way around..
Old 1/7/07, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Dude take a good look around you, anybody that has these cold air intakes will tell you first hand they improve your car's performance and not the other way around..
Absolutely
Old 1/7/07, 04:44 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think all intake are going to give you pretty much the same amount of power, it's all in the tune where you notice the differences, and I mean power that you can feel not numbers
Old 1/7/07, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
I think all intake are going to give you pretty much the same amount of power, it's all in the tune where you notice the differences, and I mean power that you can feel not numbers
Good point Adam
Old 1/8/07, 03:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
What do you think they put in the tune that allows the CAI kit to work on your car? Hint: The MAF air transfer function is the first thing that's got to be dead-on, it can either be tweaked on a dyno w/ a wideband O2 for the higher AD counts, using a high speed datalogger for the lower AD counts, or transferred/converted if the manufacturer provides the data. It's not black voodoo magic, it IS numbers and physics. Spend some time browsing through the tune file for your car if you have the pro racer package. It's very interesting especially if you're a gearhead.

I would not be concerned about engine wear for most of your applications (weekend driver, trailer/garage queens,etc...) it is only when your vehicle is operated in an extremely severe environment over a long period of time that the K&N style filters will cause excessive engine wear. A UOA can show if there is excessive Silicon content in your oil, which may or may not represent dirt/grit from the air and sand.

From the 5.0 magazine dyno tests, the CAIs all added about 10 rwhp/rwtq over the K&N panel filter + SCT tune, or about 20-25 rwhp/rwtq over stock which is very nice: 330-335 fwhp.
Old 1/8/07, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Using 265 as a common baseline (didn't establish a baseline on my car before adding the CAI/tune) my dyno runs came up with 281.6 rwhp with the CAI and a tune - almost a 27rwhp gain which tracks with what is expected from those add ons.
Old 1/8/07, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
JLT II w/SCT XCal2

+1 and don't forget the Bamachips race tune

Quick Reply: Which CAI is best?