GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brisk 3v (silver) spark plugs vs. Champion 3v double platinum

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/08, 10:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
The dealership may be able to deny liability because it is a design flaw that they have no control over.
A good service manager would find a way to help the customer recover costs though.
Ford can be sued for a design flaw that causes damage to a vehicle.
A class action lawsuit could initialize a recall. (This would probably only change the plugs to a 1 piece design, not the heads)
Just my 2 cents.
That's pretty much what the dealership confirmed, which is because of a design flaw in which they have no control over.

Although Ford can be sued for a design flaw that causes damage to a vehicle. A) I don't consider plugs breaking inside the cylinder head, as causing damage to a vehicle, when being directly related to spark plug removal. B) And even if there was, it would cost you more money to fight it out in court, than what it's really worth it.

On the other hand, I definitely agree that Ford should " at least" change the plugs to a one piece design. At least that would be a fine start.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/12/08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 4/12/08, 05:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay - this is right from the 2006 Ford Warranty:

EMISSIONS DEFECT WARRANTY COVERAGE
During the warranty coverage period, Ford Motor Company warrants that:

your vehicle or engine is designed, built, and equipped to meet - at the time it is sold - the emissions regulations of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

your vehicle or engine is free from defects in factory-supplied materials or workmanship that could prevent it from conforming with applicable EPA regulations.

you will not be charged for diagnosis, repair, replacement, or adjustment of defective emissions-related parts listed under What is Covered?. (Spark plugs ARE listed under "What is Covered?")

So as I read this, I should not be charged to repair a defective spark plug. So, if I take my car in to have the plugs changed, and one or more breaks in the head due to carbon build-up (a Ford-acknowledged issue), then the spark plug is defective and should be repaired/replaced under the emmisions warranty.

Granted, the defect isn't apparent until the plug breaks, but once it does, the warranty should apply:

Diagnosis - carbon-fused spark plug resulting in breakage upon attempted removal
Repair - remove remaining plug parts with special tool.
Replace - new plugs.

The way I read it, and I don't see how it can be read another way, Ford HAS to pay for the repair if the plugs break as long as the car is within warranty.
Old 4/12/08, 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Charlie,

........ but IMHO the last thing I should be concerned about, are spark plugs breaking in a $ 30,000 car. There is just no excuse period !!!
I agree with you on this one but its the plup engineeres that dropped the ball imo.

The Fedral Mogul rep was in my store yesterday touting the new champion one piece
plugs. They look like they have the issue solved, so I ordered a set for my 06.

My car only has 13k miles on it and I live at the rev limiter so I dont think ill have a carbon issue, but I'll change the plugs anyway.

Jay
Old 4/12/08, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Where did you get Champion 1-piece plugs for $4.95 a piece and are these Platinum/Iridium plugs? Last I saw they wanted nearly $20 per plug:
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/re...p?AAIA=1431310
$18.99/piece

The OEM plugs are $7-$8/piece at RockAuto. IIRC they were much more expensive when the 3V engines first debuted.

I would avoid silver tipped plugs because silver does not have the same durability as platinum/iridium. Silver also tends to oxidize faster than other metals. Perhaps a racing application may benefit from copper or silver plugs, but I am a believer in platinum/iridium plugs for everyday use.

I have an early 2007 GT and am not too concerned about the plugs. I *may* have to change them in the year 2020.

My plan is to wait for a 1-piece 3V iridium plug.

Last edited by metroplex; 4/12/08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 4/12/08, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Where did you get Champion 1-piece plugs for $4.95 a piece and are these Platinum/Iridium plugs? Last I saw they wanted nearly $20 per plug:
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/re...p?AAIA=1431310
$18.99/piece
Summit Racing. They're not listed on their website yet, but you can call and order them. They won't ship for another couple weeks.
Old 4/12/08, 10:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rash
Summit Racing. They're not listed on their website yet, but you can call and order them. They won't ship for another couple weeks.
That's a misquote. They're listed at $15.95 on their website, although the search results show $4.95. If you add it to your cart, it's $15.95/plug.
Old 4/12/08, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
That's a misquote. They're listed at $15.95 on their website, although the search results show $4.95. If you add it to your cart, it's $15.95/plug.
Here's the detail from my email receipt from Summit:

Part # Item Box Status Price Qty Price
CPN-7989 SPARK PLUG 4.6 FORD Expected Arrival 04/26/08$ 4.95 8 $39.60

You're right about the website. Guess they're jacking up the price. But they can't charge me anymore rhan $4.95.

Last edited by Rash; 4/12/08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 4/12/08, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Rash: Yes, Summit is a very reputable company. I bought Addco anti-roll bars from them years ago and they charged me a ridiculously low price. I figured it was just for the bare bars... but instead I received the full kit with red powdercoated bars. It apparently was a misprint/misquote but they still honored the reduced price.

I figure the Champions are going to retail close to $18-$19/piece. My prediction is that it will drop in price in the next few years as there are quite a few 3V heads being used in the US (MY 04-07).
Old 4/25/08, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Champion #7989

I was one of the lucky ones that got the Champions at $4.95. The letter I got from Summit says the actual price will be $12.95. I hope to install the Champions this weekend. The new POS Motorcrafts the dealer installed (with anti-seize) have been in less than 3,000 miles so hopefully they will come out OK. Oh yea, I'm the one that had 6 of 8 plugs break off at 38,000 miles on the clock. Ford should bleed for this screw up.
Old 4/26/08, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

...But they can't charge me anymore than $4.95.
I feel like a jerk for that comment. Summit sent a letter explaining that they should have been $12.95, but that they're honoring the $4.95 this time. They also threw in a baseball cap. So let me rephrase my comment - they COULD have charged me more than $4.95, but were classy enough to honor the lower price in a customer-friendly, professional manner. Thumbs up to Summit - they've earned my future business,
Old 4/26/08, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Summit sent a letter explaining that they should have been $12.95, but that they're honoring the $4.95 this time. They also threw in a baseball cap. So let me rephrase my comment - they COULD have charged me more than $4.95, but were classy enough to honor the lower price in a customer-friendly, professional manner. Thumbs up to Summit - they've earned my future business,
Same exact thing happened with me also. I couldn't agree more in that they are a classy and professional business that will deffinitely get more of my money in the future.
Old 4/26/08, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've been buying from Summit for nearly a decade. They are by far one of the best internet car part/accessory vendors. Jegs is also a great vendor for car parts. They used to offer discounts periodically.

If you're into guns, Midway USA and Brownells are the "Summit Racing" of gun parts/accessories.
Old 4/26/08, 04:12 PM
Cobra Member

Would it be possible to lay a small bead of weld to the 2 piece Motocrafts or Autolites? It looks like it would be possible if it is done correct but I am no welder either.
Old 4/29/08, 08:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You might want to experiment with silver solder like the stuff used to "permanently" attach flash suppressors to a barrel (e.g. 14.5" M4 and a Phantom 5C2).
Old 4/29/08, 06:17 PM
GT Member

this plug issue is going to end up like the 2V engines and there manifold defect. ford willl get sued by tones of people before it is fixed. i beleive it took 6-8 years before 2V owners got a settlement.
Old 4/30/08, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
1) <snip>
2) Platinum in a spark plug is there for durability, not performance. A Brisk silver or even an alternative made of copper would have a lower resistance and therefore more spark energy for better performance. My car runs noticeably smoother with the Brisk spark plugs. Platinum will last a little longer, but none will last a full 100,000 miles without noticeable degredation. .
Question: Given that these spark plugs have RESISTORS built into them to limit the amount of current that can flow (due to EMI issues and all electronics on the car), exactly how much difference would that super thin platinum/iridium coating on the tip of the plug make? Both platinum and iridium are SO much more expensive than gold, so that coating is ABSOLUTELY as thin as possible. I seriously doubt you could measure the difference in resistance from tip to cap on a completed plug versus one almost completed but no coating. At least not with a standard DMM.

I'm not doubting you when you say your car runs better with the Brisk plugs. I AM doubting that the super thin coating of precious metal on the top of the factory plug has anything to do with that difference.

I just wish Pulstar would build a plug for our cars. They basically stuff a capacitive ignition inside the plug. Most importantly, it is past the resistors in the plug and wire, so it can dump a LOT of energy VERY quickly when the plug fires. More than an external CDI can do.

The theory is good at least.