GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brembo Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/06, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so there you have it from the brake experts themselves. Bigger brakes does not necessarily mean better stopping distances. Cross drilling is bling only.

Anyways, the beauty of owning a car is that you can do anything you want to it. But I believe some of the guys here are simply stating that upgrading the brakes may not yield the desired performance.
[/quote]

I guess I read that different.

"At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire's grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. <span style="color:#3333FF">Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance. </span> For this reason, we do not record stopping distances at this time. <span style="color:#3333FF">The Brembo systems will show their greatest advantages when braking from higher speeds, or when tasked with repeated heavy braking.</span> The increased braking torque provides for maximum deceleration at speed, and the ability to absorb and quickly dissipate the intense heat generated during repeated braking insures that the braking system will perform at the same high level each time.[/i]"

I read that and felt it stated what I said above, do you really want the same brakes pulling you down at 130 mph plus in the 1/4( or any other track,etc...) that halted your car at 103 mph? I also read that the increased braking would cool and dissipate heat better especially if repeated?? To me, if you add a bigger rotor it will take longer for the original contact spot to come back around to the pad which should allow more cooling time and a larger cooler overall surface. Either way I didn't see were it said brake upgrades are useless.

Now as far as the cross drilling goes, I read two things. I read that crossdrilling and slotting helps to release gases and wipe away debris to give a better bite. It also states that crossdrilling under extreme conditions can lead to cracking, but again the word is extreme. They then go on to say that "Although crossdrilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel design." However even in that sentence they still list a benefit of releasing gases. So to me I read that as three benefits, controlled gases, cleaner rotors by wiping debri, and looks for my sweet ride. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Anyway I swore I wasn't going to rejoin this conversation, but with these different, facts/ opinions etc.. sometimes you just do what you think is right and makes sense to you. Again your car , your choice, your money. If we all did the same thing it would just be a plain world wouldn't??? After all 3 different brake manufactures are listed above so theres three opinions who may or may not disagree on what to do with your car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Thanks Mike
Old 2/14/06, 01:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I feel special. I am getting the best of both worlds. Better performance and more bling. What more could a guy ask for? I wonder what other mods offer such a mix of bling and performance.

I went with the BBK because I know that my wheels weigh more and I do enjoy the quick 140-160mph jaunt down the freeway on occasion. I like the idea that I can stop faster from higher speeds. I think the Brembo quote revealed my reasons for plopping down the cash. When I do some thing I go all the way.

Jon
Old 2/14/06, 01:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think they look great, I'm seriously considering a stoptech kit
Old 2/14/06, 05:57 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lokius @ February 14, 2006, 2:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think they look great, I'm seriously considering a stoptech kit
[/b][/quote]

I'll be posting up my Baer kit in the next couple days if you'd like to see it before your purchase. I did not go with the 6 piston caliper but rather a upgraded 2 piston. I'm waiting on a rotor to arrive as they sent me two of the same side on the rear.

Thanks Mike