GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brembo Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/06, 10:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need brakes on my Steed. What should I pay for Brembo Front Calipers and Rotors and slotted crossed drilled rotors for the rear. I have been quoted $2600 for full install. Is this fair? Are there better kits out there? Baers?
Old 2/9/06, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lawman @ February 9, 2006, 10:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Need brakes on my Steed. What should I pay for Brembo Front Calipers and Rotors and slotted crossed drilled rotors for the rear. I have been quoted $2600 for full install. Is this fair? Are there better kits out there? Baers?
[/b][/quote]

After doing some research I went with the StopTech 14in kit with cross drilled rotors. I have just about got everything back together and ready for a road test. Talk to Dave at Zeckhausen Racing. He knows his stuff.

Zeckhausen Racing

Jon
Old 2/10/06, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

My Baer kit should be here today and I will install it over the weekend. I didn't need a full blown brake setup for racing so I did not see any need in a 6 piston caliper. Thats were Baer has a good option. The have GT plus kits that offers a upgraded 2 piston caliper with lines, 14 inch two piece rotor etc... for the front. Then they just have a larger two piece rotor package for the rear that uses the stock caliper. My total for front and back shipped was 1500.

On a side note they offer a 6 piston front too, plus you can just buy upgraded rotors all around with no calipers, BUT the front rotor can only be used with the stock caliper if you go that route.

There are a bunch of good kits out there, but it really depends on how much you want to spend. I wanted matching rotors front and back which led me to Baer. A friend of mine has front cross drilled rotors and stock out back which looks unfinished in my opinion.

Thanks Mike
Old 2/10/06, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JST4FN @ February 10, 2006, 8:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My Baer kit should be here today and I will install it over the weekend. I didn't need a full blown brake setup for racing so I did not see any need in a 6 piston caliper. Thats were Baer has a good option. The have GT plus kits that offers a upgraded 2 piston caliper with lines, 14 inch two piece rotor etc... for the front. Then they just have a larger two piece rotor package for the rear that uses the stock caliper. My total for front and back shipped was 1500.

On a side note they offer a 6 piston front too, plus you can just buy upgraded rotors all around with no calipers, BUT the front rotor can only be used with the stock caliper if you go that route.

There are a bunch of good kits out there, but it really depends on how much you want to spend. I wanted matching rotors front and back which led me to Baer. A friend of mine has front cross drilled rotors and stock out back which looks unfinished in my opinion.

Thanks Mike
[/b][/quote]

Where can one get a good price for the kits you mentioned?

Thanks
Old 2/10/06, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

When installing new brakes, does that affect the ABS or traction control? OR is that something you can just slap on without any other modications?
Old 2/10/06, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on Power Slot slotted rotors? StangSusupension has a good price on them (front/rear).

Most of the kit prices are out of my $$$ reach but these seem to be a nice upgrade. I think you can still use the stock calipers, add better brake pads and then steel lines. One could have a nice performance upgrade from stock at a reasonable price.
Old 2/10/06, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thestoogeo @ February 10, 2006, 12:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
After doing some research I went with the StopTech 14in kit with cross drilled rotors. I have just about got everything back together and ready for a road test. Talk to Dave at Zeckhausen Racing. He knows his stuff.

Zeckhausen Racing

Jon
[/b][/quote]

Jon,
Why did you choose the stoptech over Baer or Brembo? Any reason in particular?

Frank
Old 2/10/06, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JST4FN @ February 10, 2006, 7:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Thanks Mike
[/b][/quote]
Can you post pics of the kit, both pre and post install? I'm thinking of the GT+ front kit. The pics I've seen look great, but I'd like to get a consumer's opinion and pics.

Cheers!

Edit : 1500 for front and back, shipped?!? Where from?
Old 2/10/06, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wsmatau @ February 10, 2006, 1:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Jon,
Why did you choose the stoptech over Baer or Brembo? Any reason in particular?

Frank
[/b][/quote]
Frank,

I went with the Stop Tech because Dave Zeckhausen thought it was the best kit for the 2005/06 mustangs. He sells a variety of kits and deals with them on a regular basis. He said that Stop Tech had done the most research and really went out fo their way to make sure the kit works well with the ABS/TC. I trust his opinion because he is very honest and provides information back to the community through forums and emails. I know him because of past orders with my BMW. He basically pioneered the CDV modification for BMWs. He also gave me a great price on the setup with Ceramic pads. Check out his site and this excerpt from an email he sent me below:

"Jon,

Congratulations on your new Mustang! How do you like it so far? I also just picked up a new car last week. I traded the 2005 Chrysler 300C in for a 2006 SRT8. Really loving those 425 horsepower, now that the motor is broken in. ;-) Still have the 540i 6-Speed and, with Blizzaks and the M5 limited slip, it's a great snow car. Might have to put away the SRT8 until Spring.

I see what you're trying to do with the Axxis pads. Dust is a problem and you don't want to keep cleaning those nice wheels. However, my experience with using Axxis D+ pads on StopTech BBKs is that virtually everyone who has tried it has ended up with pad deposition problems and resulting brake shimmy. Granted, that's a sample size of only five people, but the fact that they all ended up with the problem is compelling enough for me to advise against it. I'm not sure why there are so few instances of pad deposition problems with Axxis D+ and stock rotors, but that's just the way it is.

Early this year, I was sent two sets of Hawk Performance Ceramic pads to evaluate on the 300C which had a 4-wheel StopTech BBK. Hawk didn't officially make the D372 pad shape in that compound, but they sent out prototypes (same compound as production, just built by hand) for evaluation. I swapped out the Axxis Ultimate pads that came with my kit and tried the Hawks. First reaction was negative.. I didn't like the reduced bite. The Axxis Ultimate really is my favorite street pad and this just reinforced that. I had a bit of trouble getting the Ceramic pads to stop squealing under light pedal pressure. But after a couple of aggressive bedding sessions, the noise went away. Pedal feel and bite improved somewhat, but it still wasn't as good as the Ultimate. It was my intention, once they wore out, to replace them with Axxis Ultimate and just wash my wheels more frequently. Instead, I traded in the 300C for the SRT8, so I never had a chance to go back.

If you really want to keep the dust level low, I suggest you use the Hawk Performance Ceramic (which are now in production in the D372 shape.) The drilled rotors will give you slightly better bite than slotted, so that will somewhat make up for the reduced bite of the Hawk pads.

Do you plan to track the Mustang at all? If so, you've picked the right color calipers, since black is the most robust. But drilled rotors are the wrong way to go for track use. If it's just for street use, then that's fine. Technically, drilled is the better street solution, since you get more bite, 1/3 pound weight savings per rotor, and no cracking issues under street conditions.

Dave"

"Jon,

I can get Wilwood based kits and the margin is terrific on them, so I'm financially incented to do so. But I would never sell them because they aren't appropriate for passenger cars. Their calipers are optimized for light weight and used successfully in racing venues where there are no demands placed on brakes. For example, the Outlaw dirt track cars use them, primarily for slowing down to get into the pits. You will not see Wilwood calipers on any production based race series top 20 finisher. The calipers are flimsy, which you can tell by just holding them in your hand. And, in the industry, they are known as the "wet noodle" of calipers due to finishing at the bottom of any caliper flex test.

The folks who market Wilwood kits do so very dishonestly. For example, statements like: "Wilwood parts are found in virtually every professional and motorsports arena, and often found in the winner's circle." are deceptive, because Wilwood makes components, such as proportioning valves, that are widely used by club racers. But their calipers are not in the winners circle. It's left up to the unsophisticated customer to figure out that the vendor was using weasel words to make it seem like Wilwood brakes are winning races. If you look at the SPEED World Challenge series, you'll find Brembo, AP, Alcon, StopTech, and PBR, but you will not find Wilwood. In NASCAR, there are some cars running Wilwood calipers, but not the Featherlite or Superlite calipers used on aftermarket BBKs. They are using huge, forged calipers costing $3,000 each. And even those have been displaced by the other makers in the last 5 years and Wilwood is not on any of the top teams in NASCAR.

I'm constantly being contacted by vendors who make Wilwood kits, hoping I will lend some legitimacy to their products by adding them to my portfolio. Precision Brakes (http://www.precisionbrakes.com/) called me on Monday and tried to get me to become a dealer. Yuk!

Besides the poor pedal feel of the Wilwood kits and the tremendous variability in the quality of the mounting hardware created by all these 3rd party kit makers, there's the issue of balance. StopTech spent 3 days track testing the new Mustang and fine tuning the kit before they got it right. That's three times longer than usual. The new generation ABS and stability control on the Mustang made designing a good kit very difficult. Initial attempts made braking worse. With the final design, StopTech was able to go to Roush, Saleen, and Steeda and displace all the incumbent suppliers this year in a competitive runoff. For 2006, all the BBKs from these tuners will be rebranded StopTechs. The incumbent brake suppliers never went to the trouble of track testing and fine tuning, so they were blown away by StopTech in the head-to-head runoffs.

There are a ton of aftermarket wheels for the new Mustang. I'll bet the SSR GT7-H wheels in 18" will fit and they are very lightweight. Talk to Luke and I'm sure he'll be able to fix you right up. And stay far away from Wilwood unless you don't mind being passed in the braking zone.

By the way, if you check out the tuner shoot-outs in the various automotive magazines, you will often find the Wilwood kits resulting in worse stopping distance than stock. There's an Acura RSX Challenge that will be out in next month's Road & Track magazine. In it, the Wilwood equipped Acura posted worse stopping distance than the stock Acura, even though the Wilwood car had Nitto NT01 R-compound tires and the stock brake Acura had factory tires - Michelin Pilot MXM4 (all season!).

Dave"

After some research I am confident that StopTech was the right kit for me.

Jon
Old 2/11/06, 12:46 AM
Cobra R Member

I just cannot understand how someone can make a case for installing high end very expensive brakes on a car that is not track raced. Is it a brag issue that I have ( brand name ) four piston calipers with cross drilled and slotted roters? Not unlike the guy that installed every part Steeda makes to commute to work, cruse on week ends and for trips to the local fast food joint and the car never sees the track.

I have motor mods,4;10s,LCA to keep the tires planted and eye candy inside but my ride does go on the drag strip and has been known to blow off smart tass kids in rice cars and a few GMs on the street. No one knows this but myself and the other guy as I am completely closed mouth.

Please respond with a rebuttal that I can comprehend Thanks
Old 2/11/06, 01:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ February 11, 2006, 1:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just cannot understand how someone can make a case for installing high end very expensive brakes on a car that is not track raced. Is it a brag issue that I have ( brand name ) four piston calipers with cross drilled and slotted roters? Not unlike the guy that installed every part Steeda makes to commute to work, cruse on week ends and for trips to the local fast food joint and the car never sees the track.

I have motor mods,4;10s,LCA to keep the tires planted and eye candy inside but my ride does go on the drag strip and has been known to blow off smart tass kids in rice cars and a few GMs on the street. No one knows this but myself and the other guy as I am completely closed mouth.

[/b][/quote]

I don't understand it either. BBK's IMHO are overkill unless you are a hardcore road racer. The stock brakes are definetly adequate when teamed with performance pads and stainless lines. If I was to turn my 05 into an open track car, there would be not doubt which BBK I would chose. It would be the same one that Ford Racing chose for the FR500C.....BREMBO.
Old 2/11/06, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ February 11, 2006, 1:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Just a quick reply. Why have a car that can break the legal speed limit ? There is no logical need for a car that can do it, but that hasn't stopped people from buying them has it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] Basically we all do what we want because we can. Thats the idea of a free country and a free mind. I used to spend all my money on going fast and then as I got older I realized that you can go faster with better brakes. Hopefully I'll get to get on a track after they're installed and prove that. Until then I'll have peice of mind from decreased stopping distance and better looking brakes behind the 19 inch wheels. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Thanks Mike

For the guys who asked for pictures of the Baer brakes I'll get those up after they get here. The company sent them FED EX instead of UPS like I requested so they have to come back today for a signature. I'll get a before and after shot.

I bought them from Brothers Performance listed in most Mustang mags. If you need the phone number I'll get it for you. Again I bought the Eradispeed rear upgrade that has a 14 inch rotor and uses the stock caliper, and the fronts are a GT plus 2 kit which include new rotors,lines and 2 PISTON calipers. The 6 piston kits are alot higher.

Thanks Mike
Old 2/11/06, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JST4FN @ February 11, 2006, 11:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just a quick reply. Why have a car that can break the legal speed limit ? There is no logical need for a car that can do it, but that hasn't stopped people from buying them has it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] Basically we all do what we want because we can. Thats the idea of a free country and a free mind. I used to spend all my money on going fast and then as I got older I realized that you can go faster with better brakes. Hopefully I'll get to get on a track after they're installed and prove that. Until then I'll have peice of mind from decreased stopping distance and better looking brakes behind the 19 inch wheels. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Thanks Mike
[/b][/quote]
Perfect response!
Old 2/11/06, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ February 11, 2006, 2:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

How's it going? I will make a quick response by agreeing and disagreeing with you at the same time. Your point about people buying big brakes just to have the "Bling" or bragging rights is accurate, to a degree. I think that most people are looking for that one thing that sets their car apart from others and nowadays with Cobra R, Saleen and FR 500 Wheels as well as Cobra R Hoods bullitt scoops and limited aftermarket appearance choices one has to search deeper in the parts bin to make their car unique. So people choose brakes as their choice since up until lately no one really had them.

Now on the other hand I do think that with this generation Stang (in particular) "bigger" brake kits are a ugly necessity since most people are rolling with larger wheels. Now I'm not condoning the $3500, 6 piston caliber, cross drilled, sliced and diced rotors as a logical choice, but an "upgrade" is acceptable.

Bottomline is that it's the retailer's and ultimately the consumer's responsibility to get a product that is "tailored" to their needs, be it actual or anticpated.

I know that I will be upgrading my brakes when I get my 20's just so I don't loose any stopping ability. The only problem that comes with that is being able to get skinnies to fit over them while at the track [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Have a good weekend all [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/11/06, 12:37 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the great info but my original question remains unanswered: Is $2600 a fair price? Also do thes brakes really make that big a difference in stopping distance over the stock set up. I have read in several articles and threads that improvement by the addition of these kits is negligible.
Old 2/11/06, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lawman @ February 11, 2006, 1:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for all the great info but my original question remains unanswered: Is $2600 a fair price? Also do thes brakes really make that big a difference in stopping distance over the stock set up. I have read in several articles and threads that improvement by the addition of these kits is negligible.
[/b][/quote]

BBK's usually don't decrease stopping distances by much. Rather, with a BBK you usually get a more precise feel and better heat dissipation. Honestly, a good set of Summer only tires(Pilot PS2s, S03s, etc.) will help decrease your stopping distance the most. To answer your question, 2600 seems a bit high.
Old 2/11/06, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Unless you track the car you gain nothing. And if you put crossed drilled rotors on your car you actually hurt performance.

crossed drilled = look at me. You might as well wear a clown wig, it will have the sane affect.
Old 2/12/06, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I was wondering why the need to put "upgraded" rotors on the rear when the Grand Am Cup Mustang race cars use stock rotors there? I can fully understand upgraded pads and possibly rotors in front, but if you spend money on rear rotors, you could spend it more wisely on something else. IMHO
Old 2/12/06, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2MFF @ February 11, 2006, 10:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Unless you track the car you gain nothing. And if you put crossed drilled rotors on your car you actually hurt performance.
[/b][/quote]

That is only true if you are referring to use on a track. Cross-drilling will help cool the rotor, but often crack under the high-stress conditions incurred on the track.

Jon,
Thanks for the write up. It's always nice to get good customer service. Did you compare the Baer brakes to the Stop-Tech, or only the Wilwoods? I'm a big fan of the Baer, but like most of our fellow posters are saying, it really comes down to appearance versus performance. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Frank
Old 2/12/06, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slammer223 @ February 12, 2006, 8:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I was wondering why the need to put "upgraded" rotors on the rear when the Grand Am Cup Mustang race cars use stock rotors there? I can fully understand upgraded pads and possibly rotors in front, but if you spend money on rear rotors, you could spend it more wisely on something else. IMHO
[/b][/quote]

You don't need to. Ford Racing and Multimatic did extensive testing on the S197s suspension and brakes. If they chose leave the rear brakes stock, with the exception being race pads, that's the final word. Even SVT and Shelby left the rear brakes on the GT500 the same as the GT, again with a little more aggressive pad compound. I'll probably end up doing pads all around and stainless lines. We will see how that holds up on the track. I might be purchasing a BBK since this is a heavy car and will probably generate a lot of heat under track conditions.

Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes?