GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/07, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never did the backs just the front. Long story...I striped the bleeder screw...threads IN the caliper and had to change the caliper...then the solinoid on one side leaked and had to be replaced. Now they are both hooked up but the driver side doesnt hold...driver tire rolls passengerside does not and I do a 360. I am going to rebleed the whole system now back and front because through all this I have run a lot of new fluid through the fronts but nto the back. Pedel feels good....car stops...just dont know why the driver tire rolls.

So I was just wondering if this may also be a problem...I dont think I have air in the abs modual but I dont really know....
Old 1/30/07, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Very strange. One tire won't hold ... if pedal is solid, its not air, especially if you are getting a good bleed off that new caliper. Air is generally not wheel selective, the whole system goes soft (but maybe not with ABS). Solenoid on the caliper ... does not compute ... you have a proximity sensor pickup to see how fast the wheel is rotating. New caliper? Can't imagine anything mechanical that would keep it from clamping unless the the pins it floats on are messed up. Short of that, maybe an ABS bug?

I went back and read your earlier thread ... I have not seen a line lock installation, but I bet there is a correct and incorrect direction to install the valve ... that might be your source? So 1) check orientation if that is specified, 2) take it out if the problem persists and see if it goes away.
Old 1/31/07, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok more info...the caliper I had to change is not the side that is not holding. The new caliper is on the PS....that is also where the first bad solinoid was. The DS is the side that is not holding and the solinoid is definetly installed correctly. When the car had only the DS hooked up (PS was sent back to summit) I tried the line locks. At that time the DS didnt hold but I could tell it was slightly. I chalked it up to 450 ftlbs pushing with 305 DR's and only one side locked. Then when I installed the new solinoid I tried again and had a friend actualy get out and look. He said both back tires spin...PS wheel dont move...DS rolls and the back end cuts to the left. Now when I do the LL's I dont pump the brakes before I hit the switch....I just pulled up....stoped...push pedle down and hit switch. Someone said I should try pumping them to build pressure then hit the switch.

Reguardless I am going to bleed the whole system...the fluid was real dark from the getgo and through all this takeing on and off of brake parts on the front the backs have not been touched. So I am going to do the whole thing.